Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request from tenants to replace a functioning boiler

Options
  • 08-02-2017 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi there - query for those landlords more experienced than me.... tenants are requesting that a functioning boiler be replaced... they are racing through oil and think it's the boiler's fault... we got a new oil burner fitted less than 18 months ago... the house has a BER certificate of C3 and the boiler is less than 15 years old. I've been in the house and never experienced heat like it... I lived in the house before renting it so I have first-hand experience at how quickly & expensive it is to heat using oil but I learned how to manage this.... anyway... our boiler is on a service plan and due a service in September which we are happy to do but they are being very aggressive about getting someone in to do a 'report' on the boiler which undoubtedly will say that 'yes it's functioning but it should be replaced at this stage'... but that's €3k we don't have and we're selling the house when the fixed term lease is up in May 2018? What are our options?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi there - query for those landlords more experienced than me.... tenants are requesting that a functioning boiler be replaced... they are racing through oil and think it's the boiler's fault... we got a new oil burner fitted less than 18 months ago... the house has a BER certificate of C3 and the boiler is less than 15 years old. I've been in the house and never experienced heat like it... I lived in the house before renting it so I have first-hand experience at how quickly & expensive it is to heat using oil but I learned how to manage this.... anyway... our boiler is on a service plan and due a service in September which we are happy to do but they are being very aggressive about getting someone in to do a 'report' on the boiler which undoubtedly will say that 'yes it's functioning but it should be replaced at this stage'... but that's €3k we don't have and we're selling the house when the fixed term lease is up in May 2018? What are our options?
    Thanks

You are under no obligation to replace the boiler it works they are just overusing it.

Quite simple.

Prob have it on for hours a day rather than timed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Get it serviced and rely on the advice of a professional. If he says it needs to be changed then change it. If not then don't and show the tenant the 'proof' that it is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

15 years old would indeed be an old and inefficient boiler but that doesn't mean that it's not functioning.

Get it serviced by a registered and impartial professional. If the recommendation is to replace it then replace it. If not; then don't.

But you're not a professional. Your judgement as to whether it functions or not isn't worth anything. If you can't afford to be a landlord and maintain a property to legally required standards then you shouldn't be one. Saying you can't afford to replace a boiler is not a reason not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If the tenant wants someone to come in and do a report on it, then give the tenant permission to get someone in (at their own cost) to do a report on it.

If you then disagree with their report, you can get someone in to do a report.

Sounds like the boiler is in good working order though.

If both reports show you need a new boiler, then you can consider that, but I would guess that both reports will show the boiler working within expected parameters and you don't need to have it replaced.

As long as it is working correctly, you have no obligation to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Could be the wrong nozzle on it or they could just be over using it. If it's working I wouldn't be changing it anyway just get it serviced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I would tell them if they aren't happy with it, they are more than welcome to move out. But they were handed a BER when they moved in knowing the house was not ultra efficient. They were home heating oil is not the cheapest to run. The fact is the euro got a hammering and oil has almost doubled in a year, so they are paying far more for oil than last year. Like it is February, winter is basically over. I wouldn't replace a boiler for a tenant who has one more Winter in the house.

Will they have part IV after May 2018? I think they might be wanting the boiler to be replaced as they don't intend on moving out after that date

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gallifreya

So was it last serviced in September just gone and deemed fine? No harm in getting a professional to have a look for peace of mind if the tenants are getting antsy. If i could suggest you try and speak to your service engineer directly and they know they are only to have dealings with you and not the tenants though. Just to avoid any misinterpretations. Then decide what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tell them to take a hike, what kind of controls does it have?
    What temperature do they have it set at? Is it set to come on 24 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Siobhan170671

Thanks everyone for these replies... very useful.... we are putting the house on the market in May 2018 so they will be served notice with a statutory declaration showing intention to sell... they were told this at the start of their lease as well... there has barely been a week since they moved in that we haven't heard from them and we've jumped through hoops (so far) but at some point we have to communicate that they aren't living in a 5 star hotel with room service..... happy to do the service in August/September but not sure there's a strong enough argument to get it done now. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would suggest stop doing so much. If something breaks yes fix it but after that do no more.

Really sounds like you will have great difficulties getting them out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

lawred2 wrote: »
    15 years old would indeed be an old and inefficient boiler but that doesn't mean that it's not functioning.

Get it serviced by a registered and impartial professional. If the recommendation is to replace it then replace it. If not; then don't.

But you're not a professional. Your judgement as to whether it functions or not isn't worth anything. If you can't afford to be a landlord and maintain a property to legally required standards then you shouldn't be one. Saying you can't afford to replace a boiler is not a reason not to.

And where in the legally required standards does it say a boiler has to be brand new? Or efficient for that matter? The tenants knew the BER when they moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You need to stop jumping through hoops right now. They got the BER which reflected the boiler's age. They chose to move in. You haven't hidden anything from them.

Under absolutely no circumstances should you replace a functioning boiler in a house you won't even own next year!!

Thanks! Question... when the BER assessment was done we were told the boiler efficiency was between 70-80%. That was during the summer 2013.... we fitted a new oil burner to the boiler in sept 2015... would that increase the boiler efficiency?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

pilly wrote: »

And where in the legally required standards does it say a boiler has to be brand new? Or efficient for that matter? The tenants knew the BER when they moved in.

And where did I say it did?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

And where did I say it did?

You said if OP couldn't afford to keep the property to legally required standards then they shouldn't be a LL.

OP does keep it to legally required standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Thanks! Question... when the BER assessment was done we were told the boiler efficiency was between 70-80%. That was during the summer 2013.... we fitted a new oil burner to the boiler in sept 2015... would that increase the boiler efficiency?

They just base that on the make and model, I wouldn't say the tested the actual boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

A new burner less than two years ago, serviced recently and heating the house (very well by the sounds of your original post). Some people will complain about anything.

The only things I can think of are

check the timer settings - is it working and how long is it off/on for each day.

check the boiler thermostat setting to ensure the boiler cuts out when the circulating water is hot enough and is not running continuously at 100% duty cycle once the heating is on. It's possibe the boiler thermostat has been adjusted or failed since the last service but not highly likely.

Other than that it's heating the house. It sounds like they are a nightmare to deal with.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

there has barely been a week since they moved in that we haven't heard from them and we've jumped through hoops (so far) but at some point we have to communicate that they aren't living in a 5 star hotel with room service.....
    If they're like this now, they'll probably be a nightmare to get out.

Have it serviced, and if they still don't like it, tough. And stop jumping through hoops for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

My advice is that if you are selling up don't spend another penny on the house unless it is empty.
    And if the heating heats, then there is nothing for you to do.
    If you thought oil was costing too much in your own house if you were selling soon you would use it less and buy an electric heater or something. You wouldn't buy a new boiler would you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

That's a question for the plumbing and heating forum

Advertisement