Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xtra-pc problem

Options
  • 08-02-2017 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have one of these linux on usb sticks to use in old laptop. All was well until I tried to clone it. Now it will no longer boot. I tried to be careful not to change any files/partition structure etc. but as it no longer works, not carefully enough. Is any one here familiar with these?
    The idea was to have a stick that would boot anywhere, i.e. no need to take my computer away with me. The aim is to have 3 partitions, Partition 1 (b) fat32 so windows can read it as well to exchange files, Partition 2 (83)linux, Partition 3 (82) swap with partition 2 set as boot.

Do I need a autorun.inf in the windows partition, if so what should be in it.
    fstab in etc/ on the linux partition could be the problem

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What distribution was on the stick?

Do you have a Linux install you can use?

Have you contacted xtra-pc to see if you can get an ISO to burn to the USB stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Hi Johnboy,
    no idea - it is still on the stick, just won't boot
    yes i have ubuntu 16.04 on an old desk top so I can access all the files, partitions, etc.
    no i have not contacted them yet. It comes with a lot of software already installed 15G

I haven't actually "lost" the distribution, but might have done something like

update-grub
    grub-install /dev/sd......

to the original stick rather than the clone I was making.
    It was still running with out any problem, I only realised I had done damage when it came time to reboot.
    So I am hoping it is just a matter of correcting any files I changed in error.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

M.T.D wrote: »
    Hi Johnboy,
    no idea - it is still on the stick, just won't boot
    yes i have ubuntu 16.04 on an old desk top so I can access all the files, partitions, etc.
    no i have not contacted them yet. It comes with a lot of software already installed 15G

I haven't actually "lost" the distribution, but might have done something like

update-grub
    grub-install /dev/sd......

to the original stick rather than the clone I was making.
    It was still running with out any problem, I only realised I had done damage when it came time to reboot.
    So I am hoping it is just a matter of correcting any files I changed in error.

OK, it does seem like you have mis-configured Grub.
    Do you know which Grub version is being used? Grub-legacy or Grub 2?

I am not familiar enough with Grub 2 to provide the commands needed to re-do Grub so that it boots properly again.
    Probably the same commands you already used, but with the correct device & partition specified.
    If Grub-legacy that is simple enough to do.

the ubuntu I have installed won't do the command chroot due to it being x86_64
    I have looked online for solutions but they do not make any sense to me.
    Is there an alternative command?
    I'll have a look and see if I have a live cd that I can use instead.

Hi,
    Got it sorted. I had not mounted the partition on the clone properly. So any "updates" after that were to the original copy.
    This gave me 2 none booting sticks.
    As the "clone" was correct, just incomplete. Using another computer with Linux, I finished the installation on the clone. Then rebooting from the clone I corrected the damaged files on the original.

I made the first partition on the clone a 30G dos so any files I save there will be accessible to windows, if I put the stick in a pre-booted windows machine, and available to linux if booted from the stick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement