Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RS81 Shimano wheel problem

Options
  • 08-02-2017 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this problem before. The thin metal strip with the logo on it is beginning to peel off. Hope the photo shows it up well. They are 10 months old and have been looked after well, although probably nearly 10000km on them. Wear indicates show suggest they should be replaced. Is the wheel still ok to use? Thanks, Lux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Do not use the wheel. It's unsafe and could cause a nasty crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Is it just a sticker that's peeling off or is it the carbon laminate that's peeling? If its the carbon then I would binning the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Is it just a sticker that's peeling off or is it the carbon laminate that's peeling? If its the carbon then I would binning the wheel.
    To my untrained eye it looks like the laminate. This is what the logo is printed on. But if the carbon underneath is okay then the wheel should be structurally ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

If is just the sticker it's ok to use but it looks like it's more. I'd wouldn't risk it until you get it checked. The photo isn't clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Luxman wrote: »
    To my untrained eye it looks like the laminate. This is what the logo is printed on. But if the carbon underneath is okay then the wheel should be structurally ok?

The carbon laminate is a structural part of the wheel, it gives the wheel strength. If it's coming away from the alloy underneath then that section is seriously weakened as the alloy is very thin underneath. Bin the wheel, it's too dangerous to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

I think the last shimano product I purchased from chain reaction (not sure about other shops) had a 2 year guarantee. I'd ask for a repair, I'm sure they would say it's "ware & tear" but worth a try !

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Some update for anyone interested.

The chap in Humphries examined the wheel and said it was structurally sound, I cannot repeat what he thinks of Shimano wheels in public however:-). However instead of a new bike I did walk away with a pair of Zondas :-). In addition (Ribble) are sending replacements to me and arranging collection of the damaged wheels which I think very professional of them. So a proper summer and winters set of wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Luxman wrote: »
    Some update for anyone interested.

The chap in Humphries examined the wheel and said it was structurally sound, I cannot repeat what he thinks of Shimano wheels in public however:-). However instead of a new bike I did walk away with a pair of Zondas :-). In addition (Ribble) are sending replacements to me and arranging collection of the damaged wheels which I think very professional of them. So a proper summer and winters set of wheels

Now all you have to do is decide, which is the Winter set and which the Summer set.

Advertisement