Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ford Kuga Utility insurance

Options
  • 08-02-2017 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,
    I just bought a Ford Kuga Utility (Commercial 2 seats in the back)
    I thought I had transferred my old Insurance and happy days. I received a text yesterday as I was picking up Kuga saying they can't cover the vehicle.
    I'm left in no mans land with 5 months insurance left on old vehicle, I'm trying to sell.
    I have a Ltd company.

Any ideas?

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Was it originally sold by dealer as car and someone then converted?
    If so it's company CAR insurance with business use added on top.

If new 171 with Cert of conform from Ford stating commercial from initial factory build the commercial policy only can b usedb

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Topper74

It's a new 171 Reg, Ford have gotten around the N1 Commercial Rating by fitting in 2 seats. (Therefore it is Commercial ? )I rang the garage and the sales guy is looking into it, but don't expect much from him.

I want to ring insurance back, but want to know what to say to them if anything?

If ford issue cert of conform then the insurance broker can insure as commercial

As u can just buy commercial kuga of ford Ireland will make it harder to cover

Converting car to commercial will be just company car...and loophole for road tax

I just wanted to come back on this. I spoke to Broker and he told me that Insurance companies are refusing to cover Ford Kuga's as commericals. I did get one quote off him, but it's crazy money.

The problem has to do with vehicles insured for 4 seats as a commercial. The insurance companies don't want to know about it.

My advice to anyone looking to buy these or even crew cabs is get your Insurance costs sorted first.

If anyone has any further advice I'd appreciate it.

It's due to having to convert / install more seats is the issue

Crewcab navara for example is commercial insurance all day long.
    Car sales staff don't worry about your insurances worries

Hope someone get u sorted. We only have one kuga commercial on our books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Look at bringing a declined cases against the insurer. You can have a case if you receive a quote but it is unrealistic.
    Details: http://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/motor

DCA will be more €€ than even his crazy quote he got. PM if stuck stuck .

Ok Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Was your old vehicle a commercial too?

Some insurers will only cover private vehicles and transfer of insurance to commercial vehicles therefore isn't possible. It happened me previously and I lost a years NCB because of it.

Yeah its a Commerical!

• Advertisement

In that case, the only thing I can suggest is to cancel the current policy requesting a pro rata refund of premium and take out a new policy on the Kuga elsewhere.

This wouldn't really be the type of situation the declined cases committee would be designed to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Chiorino wrote:
    This wouldn't really be the type of situation the declined cases committee would be designed to handle.

The most similar case I can think of is vehicles which are classified as campers legally yet the campervan insurers will turn them down as they have their own requirements e.g. 1.8m internal height, having a sink or being able to walk from the cab to the accommodation - despite these not being required by revenue or for campervan tax. The declined cases will work in such cases. This is similar I would think?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sorry to drag the thread a bit off topic, but does the utility model have a regular back seat and just 2 seat belts?

IMG_0064.jpg

Simona1986 wrote: »
    The most similar case I can think of is vehicles which are classified as campers legally yet the campervan insurers will turn them down as they have their own requirements e.g. 1.8m internal height, having a sink or being able to walk from the cab to the accommodation - despite these not being required by revenue or for campervan tax. The declined cases will work in such cases. This is similar I would think?

Not exactly. It seems the OP' s problem is just that his current insurer won't cover him. He hasn't confirmed whether he's having any difficulty getting cover elsewhere.

Hi Colm,

Yes that's the one, Ford are marketing them as a way to get back seats and keep your Commercial rating, What they fail to tell people is that the Insurer's don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 richiemac

I have 2 of them & insured no problem.
    161's both for my Ltd. company.
    Only problem I have is that I couldn't get automatics ......you can have anything you want on them, except auto :(
    On the 4 seat utility that is.
    Hoped this new model would add it to options list but alas...no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dawn_or_dusk

Topper74 - did you ever get your insurance sorted? I think I might find myself in the same position shortly & just wondered who the best to insure would be?
    Richiemac - do you mind telling me who insured yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 decmo99

Topper74 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just bought a Ford Kuga Utility (Commercial 2 seats in the back)
    I thought I had transferred my old Insurance and happy days. I received a text yesterday as I was picking up Kuga saying they can't cover the vehicle.
    I'm left in no mans land with 5 months insurance left on old vehicle, I'm trying to sell.
    I have a Ltd company.

Any ideas?

Thx
    hi there had similar problem .had a 2 seater kuga commercial traded it in for a 4 seater commercial ford kuga jan 2018 .just transfered insurance over but my renewal came up and my insurer is not renewing my policy .They said there not insuring these type of vehicles anymore.I have tried several companys and ive been told sorry no .because i carry other people goods and not my own .(drycleaner) cant get a quote anywhere.had to leave car at home for a few days .broker that i was using suggested that i insure it private with allianz knowing that its registered as a commercial .waiting on quote

• Registered Users Posts: 2 decmo99

hi there had similar problem .had a 2 seater kuga commercial traded it in for a 4 seater commercial ford kuga jan 2018 .just transfered insurance over but my renewal came up and my insurer is not renewing my policy .They said there not insuring these type of vehicles anymore.I have tried several companys and ive been told sorry no .because i carry other people goods and not my own .(drycleaner) cant get a quote anywhere.had to leave car at home for a few days .broker that i was using suggested that i insure it private with allianz knowing that its registered as a commercial .waiting on quote
    decmo99 is online now Report Post

Sorry for delay in reply,
    Insuring these Kuga's is a pain, Insurers don't really want to know about them. I'm insured with broker Insuremyvan.ie forget who the underwriter is.
    Also they know you are caught so my first year my insurance charge literally more than doubled.

• Advertisement
Advertisement