Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you cut out bread?

• 08-02-2017 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Hi folks....was really struggling with "middle age spread" so decided to cut out bread. It has made a difference as I ate a lot of it. I have noticed though, that I'm losing a little too much weight. Can ye recommend alternatives to bread?? I run too so need to keep my calorie intake up ...cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You lost the weight because you consumed a lot less calories by not eating bread rather than because it was bread in and of itself.

You could have some bread to boost your calorie intake or if you want to avoid bread, have anything else to boost your calorie intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Thanks alf...when I was eating bread, it went straight to my middle!...Am going to perhaps eat more carbs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Hi folks....was really struggling with "middle age spread" so decided to cut out bread. It has made a difference as I ate a lot of it. I have noticed though, that I'm losing a little too much weight. Can ye recommend alternatives to bread?? I run too so need to keep my calorie intake up ...cheers

I'll be following your example hopefully. Bread is so difficult to resist for me and not easy to replace as it's easy to reach for. Baked potatoes are great (skin and all), easy to cook too but not as easy to just grab one like a piece of bread.

Thanks alf...when I was eating bread, it went straight to my middle!...Am going to perhaps eat more carbs...

That's probably because you ate a lot of it and ended up in a calorie surplus.

For most people, bread isn't the problem. The quantity of it they eat is the problem.

You need more calories so just get them with a reasonably sensible choice. Bit more in your breakfast, lunch or dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

i am in a chair so no exersise of any kind, cut the drink to one night, cut the bread quite a lot, in 12 months i have gone from 20st to 14st, breakfast one slice of toast slightly buttered mug of black unsweetened tea, lunch a big bowl of creal, dinner in the evening wwhatever is on the table, plenty of it, that it until the following morning, now between breakfast and bed time, plenty of coffee black and unsweetened, water and fruit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

I bloody love bread...but went way over the top...could put away a whole batch loaf in one sitting!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I bloody love bread...but went way over the top...could put away a whole batch loaf in one sitting!!!

I don't know how many slices of bread are in a whole batch loaf but there's probably around 100 cals in a slice of plain white bread so if you are eating a whole loaf then you were eating too much hence the weight gain.

You could try making your own bread, e.g porridge bread /brown soda bread it's a healthier alternative to the shop bought stuff but again you can't be eating loads of it.
    When you say alternative to bread - do you mean something similar in texture or would you try something like oatcakes/ryvita crackers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Use wraps instead of bread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

If you were eating a whole batch loaf in one sitting, it wasn't just the bread that was the problem. What were you putting on the bread? Butter? jam? cheeses? Mayonnaise spreads?

Something like Pita bread or a wrap (be careful which one you go for) is better than a batch loaf but changing is pointless if you're not going to be careful with the fillings you put in it. Stuff like Coleslaw and egg mayonnaise isn't good for you just because you get it at the salad bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

I'm the same. The problem is if it is accessible you'll gorge on it. It's not just bread with me but bread is just so easy to keep going at. It's generally seen as a food source that you must always have a supply of in the house like milk. Buy a small stone ground wheat loaf (yeast free and or low GI) and limit your intake to a couple of slices per day. Try to replace sandwiches for lunch with something else, not wraps as they are just as bad. Salads are always a good option. It's the conveniency of bread, sandwiches etc. that is the issue.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Use wraps instead of bread

The bigger wraps are in excess of 200 calories each so they're not really any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Bread has always been my achilles heel. I buy a good quality sourdough loaf at the Limerick Milk Market ever Saturday. As soon as I get home I cut it into slices and place each slice in individual freezer bags. I then take out once slice every morning and have it with my lunch or dinner. Freezing it in individuals slices really is a lifesaver as stops you from going in for a second slice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I have noticed though, that I'm losing a little too much weight. Can ye recommend alternatives to bread?? I run too so need to keep my calorie intake up ...cheers

This mightn't be as big an issue as you think. A lot of people over estimate their healthy weight.

What's your current height, weight and activity levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭New Goat

Brennans batch loaf 800g

100g = 238kcals

Therefore 800g = 238 * 8 = 1904 calories.

Its a numbers game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Mellor wrote: »
    This mightn't be as big an issue as you think. A lot of people over estimate their healthy weight.
    I think this is a societal issue really. I keep getting told I've lost too much weight, even by some doctors, and while I know it's not a highly thought of metric my BMI has never been below 23.

OP - just have a some bread. Look at some of the alternatives as opposed to white sliced pan, as you may find them more filling (and initially less morish, but this probably wont last!). I like the Aldi Farmhouse or 5 Grain.

A standard wrap is the around the same as two slices of standard white bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I think this is a societal issue really. I keep getting told I've lost too much weight, even by some doctors, and while I know it's not a highly thought of metric my BMI has never been below 23.

OP - just have a some bread. Look at some of the alternatives as opposed to white sliced pan, as you may find them more filling (and initially less morish, but this probably wont last!). I like the Aldi Farmhouse or 5 Grain.

A standard wrap is the around the same as two slices of standard white bread.

My BMI is 22. Still have a fair bit of belly fat.

Advertisement