Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity leave and self employed

Options
  • 08-02-2017 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Heya,
    I'm looking for some info on being self employed and maternity leave.
    I'm hoping to set up my own business in the coming months, possibly April at this stage.
    My husband and I were thinking of trying for baba number 2 around September time,
    The main thing that I am wondering about is being self employed and taking the time off after baba arrives.
    Those that are self employed did you take the full 26 weeks off? If you went back to work sooner did your maternity benefit stop?
    How did it affect your business being off?
    I'd love to have the full 26 weeks off with baba but afraid it would damage business, especially when it would be still a new business.
    Any advice would be great, tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I took 5 months off, starting at 32 weeks pregnant because if I stayed off longer later in the year I would've missed all of my busy season which would have had an effect on the following years business too. As it happened I was admitted at 36 weeks and he was born a week later so it was a good thing I had finished up early, if I'd planned on working until 38 weeks I'd then have been up sh!t creek with how it turned out. But then I got an extra few weeks with him which was both nice and necessary, it would've been unrealistic to go back at the time planned if he had been on time or late.

It didn't affect business taking the time off, but the type of work I do has been very difficult since he became a toddler because I mind him while I work, not a good plan. If you are planning a business that wouldn't be done from home while minding the child it would be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

As far as I know there's no state maternity benefit if you're self employed. You've to be in PAYE employment with accrued right number of prsi contributions to qualify. As far as I know, the self employed prsi is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Gatica wrote: »
    As far as I know there's no state maternity benefit if you're self employed. You've to be in PAYE employment with accrued right number of prsi contributions to qualify. As far as I know, the self employed prsi is different.
    Ignore this,it's just plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Sorry OP, I was going by what I read on other threads here on boards. Seems it's down to your S class PRSI contributions:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/maternity_benefit.html

with some provisos:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/maternity-benefit-rule-for-self-employed-unjust-266675.html article is from 2014 though, so hopefully it's no longer the case.
    vandriver wrote: »
    Ignore this,it's just plain wrong.

you could be more helpful yourself with posting relevant info rather than pointing out someone who's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Gatica wrote: »
    Sorry OP, I was going by what I read on other threads here on boards. Seems it's down to your S class PRSI contributions:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/maternity_benefit.html

with some provisos:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/maternity-benefit-rule-for-self-employed-unjust-266675.html article is from 2014 though, so hopefully it's no longer the case.

you could be more helpful yourself with posting relevant info rather than pointing out someone who's wrong.
    I didn't point out someone who's wrong,I pointed out information that was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

vandriver wrote: »
    I didn't point out someone who's wrong,I pointed out information that was wrong.

Mod:

And if you want to rebut another poster, it helps to back up your point with facts or links.

Advertisement