Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 toll solicitor's letter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Do people think that collecting debts internationally is always impossible, or is it that they think toll debts are a special, impossible case?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Court judgements for debt collection in any EU member state are recognised and enforceable in any other EU member state (except Denmark).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Sit it out and wait for Brexit.

OP I'd pop up a thread on the Legal Discussion forum for some info and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

humberklog wrote: »

why? its enforceable... whats to discuss

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sleeper12 wrote:
    They get a judgment against you.

This, have they ever been successful? Or even followed it through with a non domestic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 LUDublin

robtri wrote: »
    where do you reside??
    Officially in the North but I'm in the south a lot with work. All my details are in the North though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

LUDublin wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking. I just can't see how they can enforce any of their threats with a UK driver.
    Since 2008 they employ a Europe wide collection agency and can, and do, summons debtors in any jurisdiction they wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

From experience of a similar amount I was charged for non payment (I genuinely forgot, I use the M50 once a year) they don't take any shíte sob stories anymore. They halved the €120 I owed them once I agreed to sign up for a video account there and then on the phone, if I didn't they were going to keep adding the charges until it racked up to a court appearance.

I signed up there and then, now I see the odd eflow bill on my debit card every now and again and then and it doesn't bother me. I just know I've used it and forgot about it.

humberklog wrote: »

Thanks for the advice regarding posting on the legal forum.

The links that people have posted regarding chasing UK drivers for unpaid tolls I've seen them before. The thing is that I've yet to hear of one UK person actually having anything done to them for unpaid M50 tolls. There's a lot of talk about going after them online but I can't find one example of this actually happening. I'd imagine that I'm not the only UK driver in this situation and I've yet to hear of Debt collectors or anyone like that going to a UK court to get a judgement against someone. Surely if this was something they could/would do then they'd do it as there could be thousands of euros to be collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

bladespin wrote:
    This, have they ever been successful? Or even followed it through with a non domestic?

I believe so yes.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Do people think that collecting debts internationally is always impossible, or is it that they think toll debts are a special, impossible case?
    No I don't think it is impossible to collect debts from other countries. Do you actually have an example of this happening as like I said in my previous post I'm sure I'm not the only one and I haven't heard of any UK court cases for m50 tolls. No one seems to have an example of this taking place which was my point. If they were seizing UK cars I'm sure it would be newsworthy. It makes in onto the news when it happens with cars registered in Dublin so if it was happening in the north it would be newsworthy.

No I don't think it is impossible to collect debts from other countries.

Then why do you think it can't happen in this case? What makes this debt different?

The seizure of dozens of cars over the space of years made a single dublin news story. How often do you see news stories about goods being seized for debt, other than family homes?

RayCun wrote: »
    The seizure of dozens of cars over the space of years made a single dublin news story. How often do you see news stories about goods being seized for debt, other than family homes?
    My point is that if someone in the North was brought to court for not paying M50 tolls it would be in the news as it would be a big story. There still isn't an example of anyone from the north having matters taken any further than a solicitors letter. The solicitors are based in Kerry by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What made you think you didnt need to pay the toll initiall?

Its very easy for them to get a judgement against you in NI and request an NI based reclaimation agent to seize the car.
    `
    I suppose you also think its OK to speed with impunity on the M1!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My point is that if someone in the North was brought to court for not paying M50 tolls it would be in the news as it would be a big story. There still isn't an example of anyone from the north having matters taken any further than a solicitors letter. The solicitors are based in Kerry by the way.

You are seriously deluded to imagine it would be newsworthy, let alone a big story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

You really think that a debt judgement would make news?

Seriously?????!!!

This hassle for avoidance of a few quid?

The stupidity of it is amazing.

And yes, solicitors are in Kerry - if not sorted it goes to uk debt collection and the solicitors letter with another few hundred added will be UK based.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sleeper12 wrote:
    I believe so yes.

Any links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Thanks for your reply.

One of my concerns was if there was a Garda checkpoint could they seize the car but as you said the Garda wouldn't know anything about it.

I had heard of people having their cars seized although I was wondering if they could still seize my car if it is registered up North. The Garda wouldn't be able to collect it from the North I'd imagine.

I know what you mean by the "deemed contract" although I would wonder how it would ever get to court. I know there is various articles about Northern drivers being pursued by I haven't heard of anything happen to a Northern or UK driver apart from the solicitor's letter.

Your situation seems awful and it's crazy that they'd bill you 800 euros for 4 tolls.

In summary I'm just trying to find out will my credit rating actually be affected and is there any way they can seize a UK registered car. I know they threaten to do this all the time however I've never actually heard of this happening to someone from the UK.

Your credit rating will likely be affected if they sell the debt to an agency who get a judgment registered against you in a UK court. Even if you subsequently pay off the debt and have any order discharged the fact one was registered against you will probably make it much more difficult to get credit in future.

Guards can't seize the car as this is a civil matter. But a bailiff could, on foot of a court order.

......should've paid the tolls ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Just pay what you owe, Christ almighty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Cork Exile

Ah I want to him to take the risk and see where this goes!
    Whats the worst that could happen to him !!! ;)
    Hope he keeps us updated on here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

bladespin wrote:
    Any links?

No links. Have you tried looking for older threads here on boards.ie I'd be surprised if it hasn't been covered. Or the legal forum.
    They give real advice there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Not related to tolls, but I got letters from a "solicitor" in the UK looking for money for disputed customs & DHL fees for a package that was sent to me in Ireland from the US.

Threatened with court/credit rating thing etc. The amount kept going up and up.

At the end of the day there was nothing this UK firm could do as they cannot enforce a civil debt in another state. (I sorted it by dealing directly with Customs before anyone says "pay yer bills"!)

As others have said, the legal discussion forum might be the best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Not related to tolls, but I got letters from a "solicitor" in the UK looking for money for disputed customs & DHL fees for a package that was sent to me in Ireland from the US.

Threatened with court/credit rating thing etc. The amount kept going up and up.

At the end of the day there was nothing this UK firm could do as they cannot enforce a civil debt in another state. (I sorted it by dealing directly with Customs before anyone says "pay yer bills"!)

As others have said, the legal discussion forum might be the best bet.

It's difficult for a debt accumulated in the UK to be enforced here but if the debt is going the other way it's a different proposition.

It's much easier for an agency to buy the debt and register a County Court Judgment in respect of it.....and tie it to the address at which the car is registered which the DVLA provide for a fee on submission of a query.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭dodzy

From experience of a similar amount I was charged for non payment (I genuinely forgot, I use the M50 once a year) they don't take any shíte sob stories anymore. They halved the €120 I owed them once I agreed to sign up for a video account there and then on the phone, if I didn't they were going to keep adding the charges until it racked up to a court appearance.

I signed up there and then, now I see the odd eflow bill on my debit card every now and again and then and it doesn't bother me. I just know I've used it and forgot about it.

So you still forget? Some people, seriously.

OP, no sympathy here. You thought you'd just zip through the tolls and you'd be fine with your English regd motor. No sympathy at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

dodzy wrote: »

OP, no sympathy here. You thought you'd just zip through the tolls and you'd be fine with your English regd motor. No sympathy at all.

Yep, usually when I'm crossing over the M50 it's usually to the airport. Paying the etoll is way down my list of priorities, so the video account is there for sufficient as I barley use the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

dodzy wrote:

Isn't 'the whole point of a video account so that you don't have to remember to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

markpb wrote: »
    Isn't 'the whole point of a video account so that you don't have to remember to pay?

This!

For someone (like me) who only occasionally and irregularly uses the toll bridge it's a gift.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I haven't read the whole thread so this may have been posted already.

Op and others who think the op cannot have car seized for non payment of toll fines, read and weep.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cars-seized-from-drivers-owing-average-28-600-in-m50-tolls-1.2717290%3Fmode%3Damp

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/it-is-more-of-an-ambulance-than-a-car-man-has-vehicle-seized-due-to-owing-16k-in-toll-charges-35276184.html

Not only can the car be seized, but a criminal prosecution can follow. It doesn't matter where you reside, it's where the offence took place, if you enter the state with that car, or any car registered to you, it can be taken on foot of a judgement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement