Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Web Services

• 08-02-2017 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I recently signed up for AWS to use their Databases for my final year college project. I was told it was free but now they've taken almost 200euro from my account without warning and I need a refund as like most students, I don't have much. I've reached out to them on Twitter and via the phone but have gotten no help. Does anybody know if getting a refund is possible? They projected that for February 2017 they'll charge me more than i have available in my account so i need it sorted urgently.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

jplally wrote: »
    I recently signed up for AWS to use their Databases for my final year college project. I was told it was free but now they've taken almost 200euro from my account without warning and I need a refund as like most students, I don't have much. I've reached out to them on Twitter and via the phone but have gotten no help. Does anybody know if getting a refund is possible? They projected that for February 2017 they'll charge me more than i have available in my account so i need it sorted urgently.

€200 is quite a lot to run up in AWS RDS. The free tier includes 750 hours of db.t2.micro which is one running all month in one AZ? Did you use a different db size?

I've no experience getting refunds from Amazon AWS. Although you could buy $100 credit for $30 on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jplally

€200 is quite a lot to run up in AWS RDS. The free tier includes 750 hours of db.t2.micro which is one running all month in one AZ? Did you use a different db size?

I've no experience getting refunds from Amazon AWS. Although you could buy $100 credit for $30 on eBay.

I just used the standard for everything as it only needs to be very small. It was $211 I believe to be precise. But like I said, it was supposed to be the free tier

I just used the standard for everything as it only needs to be very small. It was $211 I believe to be precise. But like I said, it was supposed to be the free tier

Yes, the free tier only cover db.t2.micro for the RDS. You have to select the db.t2.micro when setting up the RDS instance for it to be eligible under the free tier. It will say on the left hand side "Your current selection is eligible for the free tier."

The default preselected DB Instance class is db.m3.xlarge with 100GB allocated SSD and multi AZ. On the left hand side it will say:

"The following selections disqualify the instance from being eligible for the free tier:
    Multi-AZ Deployment
    Allocated Storage > 20GB
    Provisioned IOPS
    DB Instance Class
    "

This would cost $416.80 per month.

Only certain things are included under the free tier and Amazon do make it quite clear when you are provisioning services.

Yes, the free tier only cover db.t2.micro for the RDS. You have to select the db.t2.micro when setting up the RDS instance for it to be eligible under the free tier. It will say on the left hand side "Your current selection is eligible for the free tier."

The default preselected DB Instance class is db.m3.xlarge with 100GB allocated SSD and multi AZ. On the left hand side it will say:

"The following selections disqualify the instance from being eligible for the free tier:
    Multi-AZ Deployment
    Allocated Storage > 20GB
    Provisioned IOPS
    DB Instance Class
    "

This would cost $416.80 per month.

Only certain things are included under the free tier and Amazon do make it quite clear when you are provisioning services.

So what would you advice be for me now? I can't afford to pay anything close to that so can I just cancel it or?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 casual observer

If you paid by SEPA regulated direct debit, as is the most common, you are entitled to contact your bank and have the money returned to your account, right or wrong, no questions asked.

• Advertisement

If you paid by SEPA regulated direct debit, as is the most common, you are entitled to contact your bank and have the money returned to your account, right or wrong, no questions asked.
    Is there a way of checking if my card is eligible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 casual observer

What arrangements did you make to pay? Or how did you pay?

So what would you advice be for me now? I can't afford to pay anything close to that so can I just cancel it or?

I'd recommend you check what the RDS instance type you signed up to. If it isn't free tier eligible modify it so it is free tier eligible. Then send another email being very apologetic and explain the situation. Say you're a student and still trying to get to grips with the AWS console and see what they say.

Personally, if they don't play ball I'd buy the credit on eBay for the outstanding but most people would probably close the account.

I'd recommend you check what the RDS instance type you signed up to. If it isn't free tier eligible modify it so it is free tier eligible. Then send another email being very apologetic and explain the situation. Say you're a student and still trying to get to grips with the AWS console and see what they say.

Personally, if they don't play ball I'd buy the credit on eBay for the outstanding but most people would probably close the account.

Okay thanks for the help, I'll try that

My pay arrangement were that whatever bill I ran up would be taken from the account but I wasn't aware that I was running up any sort of a bill as i thought I was still under the free tier

• Advertisement

I'm guessing he paid by debit card. I don't think AWS do direct debts.
    Okay thanks for the help, I'll try that

Be as polite as possible and accept responsibility in the email. I've found their customer care pretty helpful before.

I'm guessing he paid by debit card. I don't think AWS do direct debts.

Be as polite as possible and accept responsibility in the email. I've found their customer care pretty helpful before.

Okay thanks again! Hopefully I can get the money back or at the very least not get charged again

Okay thanks again! Hopefully I can get the money back or at the very least not get charged again

No worries. Best of luck, hopefully it goes well for you.

I did all that you recommended however in my billing screen it still says that they forecast i will run up a huge bill by the end of February, with no breakdown given. Is there any way to find out what have been charging me this much and how i can amend it?

I did all that you recommended however in my billing screen it still says that they forecast i will run up a huge bill by the end of February, with no breakdown given. Is there any way to find out what have been charging me this much and how i can amend it?

The estimated costs is delayed and won't be 100% accurate.

If you are certain you only ever set up a DB under RDS and this single DB is not free tier eligible you should be fine.

The estimated costs is delayed and won't be 100% accurate.

If you are certain you only ever set up a DB under RDS and this single DB is not free tier eligible you should be fine.

I only set up a single instance altogether, so now that the only one i made has been changed back to free tier should i no longer get charged?

EDIT: I also deleted my card from the site to also hopefully stop them charging me

I only set up a single instance altogether, so now that the only one i made has been changed back to free tier should i no longer get charged?

If it is free tier eligible you won't be charged from now on. But you will still be liable for previous costs.

If it is free tier eligible you won't be charged from now on. But you will still be liable for previous costs.

Fair enough, thanks! Do you know how the amount paid is calculated?

Fair enough, thanks! Do you know how the amount paid is calculated?

The pricing is here and they have a monthly calculator.

The pricing is here and they have a monthly calculator.

Okay thanks, I'll reply here if i get sorted, I really cannot afford to lose money like this which is the real worry

• Advertisement

Thank you for the help!! They've agreed to refund me, crisis averted!

Thank you for the help!! They've agreed to refund me, crisis averted!

Good to hear! Impressed how quick they got back to you as well.

Good to hear! Impressed how quick they got back to you as well.

Yeah I was expecting at least a day to respond, just a massive relief knowing I won't lose the money

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Yeah I was expecting at least a day to respond, just a massive relief knowing I won't lose the money

Glad you got it sorted, but playing devil's advocate here, it was your own fault for not reading it properly. If you set up your account as free tier, it generally specifically says "This is not free tier eligible", or else on the same page "Free tier eligible" in bold on the same page.

All that being said, AWS are pretty decent in regards to these things [saw a previous person rack up 1500 in a week as they had no idea what they were doing. AWS refunded them also. They do try to make it hard for people to make these mistakes, but they also do happen.

If you are a student, check out https://www.awseducate.com/microsite/BenefitsInfo [I think you get 100€].

And then in regards to the billing, go to My Billing Dashboard on the top right drop down on the account, and then "Bills" [or "Cost Explorer" if you want hourly/daily/monthly breakdown].

Advertisement