Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points on same reference

Options
  • 08-02-2017 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

If you are stopped by a gard and he issues you with 2 offences on the same reference,ie stopped for speeding and also breaking a red light,when you get the fixed charge,whichever of the 2 has most points you only get the points for that?
    so if speeding was 3 points and the red light was 2 points and you pay for both you only get 3 points total because they were on the same ref and you were stopped by the gard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

LemonAid wrote: »
    If you are stopped by a gard and he issues you with 2 offences on the same reference,ie stopped for speeding and also breaking a red light,when you get the fixed charge,whichever of the 2 has most points you only get the points for that?
    so if speeding was 3 points and the red light was 2 points and you pay for both you only get 3 points total because they were on the same ref and you were stopped by the gard?

Yes, once there are 2 or more offences committed at the same time only the largest is applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LemonAid

cool,thought i was being bull****ted,was going to appeal one,but if i had gone to court i was told i could be given the other three points (or 2 extra(5)) then if convicted so was better off just accepting the two offences but only getting one set of points

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Even on conviction you will still only receive the largest of the points, but yes upon conviction the points for each offence are higher than simply paying the FCPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But it is a conviction.

Advertisement