Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS drive mismatch

Options
  • 08-02-2017 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question about a NAS drive mismatch in a small 2 bay NAS enclosure: Is it possible to combine a slower archive drive and a faster drive in RAID 1 and read from thew faster drive or how do read operations work?
    The NAS is going to be for media. so it doesn't need amazing write performance, but I'd like files being read to come from the faster drive.
    Do enclosures have the capacity to pick the faster drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It'll read from both. As both store identical data they can read out different tracks to the controller simultaneously.

Be aware though not all drives are suitable for use in an array. If that faster drive is something like a WD Black/Green/Blue or a Deskstar etc then its no good.

Personally Id always use homogenous disks (from different batches).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The faster drive is a NAS drive by design, I was hoping I could save on the second drive, but if it hamstrings the faster drive in an array I guess I'll have to take the hit and just buy another identical drive. Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

What type of NAS is it exactly?

Advertisement