Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property on sale with incorrect address to raise prices

Options
  • 08-02-2017 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I am sure that this has been raised in this forum or elsewhere earlier as well.
    I am just surpised as to why are estate agents and builders allowed to get away with advertising wrong addresses of the area for properties on sale - new builds as well as 2nd sales.
    Of course this creates more views, hype in the market ,more queues and viewing and eventually quicker sales at higher price points.
    Why is there no regulation stipulating that a house address should be the right one and not that of an adjacent area with is more upmarket or has a higher snoot value ?

Raul G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I love living in North Raheny/South Sutton.

TBH though it didn't effect my map reading skills or the fact that I was wandering around Kilbarrack waiting for the EA to turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Firhouse (Tallaght)
    Clonee Co. Dublin (meath)
    Ashtown (Cabra)
    Areas in rural kildare as far as donadea being marked as 'maynooth'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Rialto-Drimnagh.

Donal55 wrote: »
    Rialto-Drimnagh.

Rialto is the new Ranelagh, according to some nutter advertising a house share.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Grange Hill - Rathfarnham ������

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Firhouse (Tallaght) Clonee Co. Dublin (meath) Ashtown (Cabra) Areas in rural kildare as far as donadea being marked as 'maynooth'

Tallaght is huge now. My da is from Firhouse. It was Firhouse long before it was considered tallaght. Much in the way celbridge and maynooth are different towns now. Give it 30 years and they'll be on top of each other too.
    I live in clonee dublin 15 myself. The town is right on the border. My nearest petrol station and supermarket are in the village. A county border doesn't dictate a town/city boundaries. Limerick city county clare being an example. Or further a field that fine European capital of Istanbul....Asia.
    Don't know much about Ashtown.
    And donadea I'll give you. A good 20 minute drive from the town of maynooth. Never understood it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dbagman wrote: »
    Tallaght is huge now. My da is from Firhouse. It was Firhouse long before it was considered tallaght. Much in the way celbridge and maynooth are different towns now. Give it 30 years and they'll be on top of each other too.
    I live in clonee dublin 15 myself. The town is right on the border. My nearest petrol station and supermarket are in the village. A county border doesn't dictate a town/city boundaries. Limerick city county clare being an example. Or further a field that fine European capital of Istanbul....Asia.
    Don't know much about Ashtown.
    And donadea I'll give you. A good 20 minute drive from the town of maynooth. Never understood it.

You'll only hear firhouse people say that.

Defend it to their death so they will :P

Dublin 24

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Ashtown is Dublin 15.
    It's weird but that's its correct postal address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

The whole of Dublin 15 seems to be Castleknock these days. Saw somewhere west of the Blanchardstown centre advertised as Castleknock recently.

Also, half of north Dublin wants to claim Glasnevin as its own

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I live in Meakstown.....not Finglas :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

RaulDublin wrote: »
    I am sure that this has been raised in this forum or elsewhere earlier as well.
    I am just surpised as to why are estate agents and builders allowed to get away with advertising wrong addresses of the area for properties on sale - new builds as well as 2nd sales.
    Of course this creates more views, hype in the market ,more queues and viewing and eventually quicker sales at higher price points.
    Why is there no regulation stipulating that a house address should be the right one and not that of an adjacent area with is more upmarket or has a higher snoot value ?

Raul G

Have you got an example OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

Thought Eircode was supposed to do away with this sort of nonsense ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Browney7 wrote: »
    The whole of Dublin 15 seems to be Castleknock these days. Saw somewhere west of the Blanchardstown centre advertised as Castleknock recently.

Ashtown/Royal Canal Park are legally in the borough of Castleknock. It's on all the city plans and contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

This is too true. We half considered moving out to Castleknock before we realised it was too far out from the city centre. I spent half my life falling in love with properties based on the photos then clicking on the map and realising it was actually Blanch/Porterstown/the wrong side of the m50 essentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Large parts of "Lucan" are Clondalkin really but have Liam Lawlor to thank for their inflated price tag.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Large parts of "Lucan" are Clondalkin really but have Liam Lawlor to thank for their inflated price tag.

+1 , liffey valley zoned as 'quarryvale' so the shops weren't completely uninsurable.

Browney7 wrote:

Accept clonee dublin 15, which is actually meath....apparently 😛😛

dbagman wrote: »
    Accept clonee dublin 15, which is actually meath....apparently 😛😛

post office and village centre is meath, its meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Areas always go up and down. In the 1900s Rathmines was awfully awfully posh and known as the Premier Township; now it's studenty and flatty for years, but signs like Fallon & Byrne about to open a gigantic shop and a sudden rash of good restaurants suggests that it's about to swing back upmarket.

post office and village centre is meath, its meath.

Not disputing the village centre. No doubt meath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Firhouse (Tallaght)
    Clonee Co. Dublin (meath)

Going back to at least the 80s anyway Firehouse was always seen as not Tallaght.

And Clonee does sit on both sides of the county line.

Edit Dbagman has made the very same points.

Technically it is all part of either the townland or civil parish, can't remember which, of Castleknock.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RaulDublin

There are just too many if these examples specially d15 areas advertised as castlenock.
    Hamilton park,castleknock
    Mulberry park,castleknock
    Riverwood court ,castleknock
    Maple Avenue. castleknock
    Bramley park castleknock
    Woodstown heath knocklyon

..just the ones on top of my head. Now some of them may be right as well and lets not debate each of these but still its just irritating to see them get away with it so easily ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Kimmage (Crumlin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Anywhere east of the N11 is either "Blackrock" or "Dalkey".

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RaulDublin

Stasi 2.0 wrote: »
    Thought Eircode was supposed to do away with this sort of nonsense ?

True but I doubt that it has a big uptake. how many of us remember ours ? unless ordering dominos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I live in Littlepace. Bought there in 2000. I remember people were stating their address was "Clonee, County Dublin". Anything to not have D15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I live in Littlepace. Bought there in 2000. I remember people were stating their address was "Clonee, County Dublin". Anything to not have D15.

It's something I've wondered about though. Why are some places on the border with the neighbouring county, north and south, designated as County Dublin, whereas others get a postcode?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

athtrasna wrote: »

Clondalkin was the original one of these.

What is now Clondalkin was 30 years ago a number of different town lands made up of:

Clondalkin
    Ronanstown
    Neilstown
    Clonburris
    Bawnogue

The government in its wisdom decided to build thousands of social houses in the second and third in the list moving people from the inner city to a rural area with nothing but empty fields driving distance from the only one of the above with any infrastructure which was Clondalkin hence all ended up badged as Clondalkin which has obviously worked out well.........

The bits of Lucan that are in Clondalkin are not in Clondalkin at all but one of the townlands that were stuck on in the 80s and these bits are closer to Lucan to Clondalkin.

Builders drawing lines on maps depending on the prevailing fashion of the day

• Advertisement

On the other side of this though what magical barrier does one walk through when moving from a street that's in say Castleknock and one that is the Blanchardstown. Do burglars, riff-raff and various ne'er-do-well avoid the area out of respect for the increased house prices? Perhaps people who go in for this rubbish deserve what they get to a degree?

Advertisement