Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property on sale with incorrect address to raise prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

http://search.savills.com/property-detail/gbclondue150099#/r/detail/GBCLONDUE150099

Ballybough - Drumcondra

Came across another one in that area advertised as Clontarf!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Who defines the official address anyways? What use is a postal address for house-hunters, they're hardly going to send a letter into houses they're interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

They're trying to rebrand the area around Pearse Street (where the flats are) as SOBO (Between Sean O Casey Bridge and Samuel Beckett Bridge)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Love2love wrote: »
    They're trying to rebrand the area around Pearse Street (where the flats are) as SOBO (Between Sean O Casey Bridge and Samuel Beckett Bridge)

That's as bad as the Sodo Sopa episode of South Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I love living in North Raheny/South Sutton.

Saw a house off the kilbarrack road advertised as Sutton. Between kilbarrack you have bayside and even part of Baldoyle before you hit Sutton.
    It's mad Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Red Kev wrote: »
    Anywhere east of the N11 is either "Blackrock" or "Dalkey".

and west is foxrock or dundrum

all of deansgrange is blackrock :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What's an Eircode address? Do you mean postal address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The website is just using a Geodirectory lookup for your address. Eircode doesn't modify your existing address. Get on to AnPost if there's an error in your geographic address.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Examples that I have experienced

Tonlegee Road Coolock is Raheny
    Donaghmede is Baldoyle
    Baldoyle Is Sutton
    Kilbarrack is Sutton
    Bayside is Sutton
    Waterside swords is Malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

To be fair Kilbarrack is anywhere other than Kilbarrack because of the Snapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

To be fair Kilbarrack is anywhere other than Kilbarrack because of the Snapper.

A1 Sharden!

Glasnevin being sucked into Finglas was the one I spotted the most on myhome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

A1 Sharden!

Glasnevin being sucked into Finglas was the one I spotted the most on myhome

Glasnevin Ave was originally called Ballymum Ave until a local TD moved onto the street apparently....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

someone once told me they lived on the malahide road.
    Sorry love, thats Darndale :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Regarding Glasnevin: My In-laws have there house right at the border of Glasnevin (D9), but officially D11 is literally across the road. Tell them they live basically in Finglas and should calm down with their prejudice... I think my MIL would behead you.
    Also Ballymun is just a few streets up and while she's incredibly proud to live in Glasnevin, she drives up Ballymun Road with the cardoors locked :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

LirW wrote: »
    she drives up Ballymun Road with the cardoors locked :rolleyes:
    Cardoors would be locked before I entered Dublin, tbh! :P

Have seen Leixlip described as West Dublin by jobs companies and the odd house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

ciarang85 wrote: »
    http://search.savills.com/property-detail/gbclondue150099#/r/detail/GBCLONDUE150099

Ballybough - Drumcondra

Came across another one in that area advertised as Clontarf!

That's far enough up the Clonliffe Road to be considered Drumcondra, IMO. I always think of Clonliffe as Drumcondra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

Regarding Glasnevin: My In-laws have there house right at the border of Glasnevin (D9), but officially D11 is literally across the road. Tell them they live basically in Finglas and should calm down with their prejudice... I think my MIL would behead you.

I know someone who grew up in Dublin 11 and she calls where she grew up Glasnevin. She grew up in Poppintree. Does anyone know if that's considered Glasnevin or Finglas?

In fairness, I don't blame people for feeling a bit self-conscious about growing up in areas perceived to be less salubrious. A lot of people can be quite judgemental about stuff like that and it must be annoying to have someone judge you on where you are from before even getting to know you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

…and sometimes it's the other way around; you may say you live in Kimmage so people don't drawl "Rawthgawr, eh?" at you, or in Rathgar so people don't sneer "Kimmage, royh?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

In fairness, all streets, and areas start and end somewhere. A line is drawn on a map and one side of the street may be one postcode and the opposite side something else. It's the same all over the world.

Even within postcodes, areas end and start. People also use it in both ways. If you want a better sale price or rental price, you say you live in a "better" area. But, if you want a lower property tax, etc, you may claim it's the lesser reputation area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

someone once told me they lived on the malahide road.
    Sorry love, thats Darndale :pac:

Starts in Fairview/Marino runs through Clontarf and onto Malahide with huge number of areas in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Robineen wrote: »
    I know someone who grew up in Dublin 11 and she calls where she grew up Glasnevin. She grew up in Poppintree. Does anyone know if that's considered Glasnevin or Finglas?

I know a good amount of people would consider Poppintree as Ballymun. I couldn't really give 2 poops about it since I think this whole "where are you from" thing is absolutely ridiculous. My boy goes to school with lots of kids from Finglas and Ballymun and it's grand, really. Some people really have a chip in their shoulder. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the_syco wrote: »
    Have seen Leixlip described as West Dublin by jobs companies and the odd house.

usually for selling things online in Leixlip, i'd mark it as lucan. theres a load of idiots out there who would see 'item x for sale in co.kildare' and assume they'd have to trek to athy to get it and not bother.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Also Ballymun is just a few streets up and while she's incredibly proud to live in Glasnevin, she drives up Ballymun Road with the cardoors locked :rolleyes:

Glasnevin Avenue was originally Ballymullen avenue until locals petitions to have it changed.

Every house up around cedar wood, pinewood etc when first built was advertised as poppintree. These areas seem to be considered as Glasnevin north nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I rented a place addressed Raheny (on the advert) for a while yet could watch Kilbarrack FC playing outside my house on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I rented a place addressed Raheny (on the advert) for a while yet could watch Kilbarrack FC playing outside my house on weekends.

To be fair if it was high enough up and in a particular spot that actually is Raheny. If it's down the road it's Foxfield or 'Kilbarrack + €200K for the same house please'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Lived in Clonee for a few months when I changed over my car insurance they insisted an the address being Huntstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Sometimes I think its really obvious when it's done for selling a house but other times there is just sheer confusion. When I moved to my current place we had gas & electricity both with Electric Ireland. One bill came with the address as "Firhouse", the other with "Tallaght".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I very definitely live in Blanchardstown...can see the shopping centre....yet apparently am in the barony of castleknock.

Advertisement