Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut card problems

• 08-02-2017 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Has anyone had problems with their Revolut card making Amazon payments?

I always top up my Revolut account by the amount of an Amazon order before placing the order. Recently I did this and the payment was shown as 'pending' but then Amazon attempted to take the payment as two separate amounts, each of which was declined due to insufficient funds, so I had to top up the Revolut account to cover these payments.

Apparently Revolut can not split payments so the original pending payment should have expired and then appear as a credit balance on my account but it has just disappeared.

I've been on to Revolut to explain this and can show the top ups but there's no record of the original single payment. They've referred me to Amazon but Amazon have only taken the split payments.

Therefore I have paid double the cost of the order due to the original Amazon payment being 'lost' on the Revolt account and having to make top up transfers to cover the payments.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Carnmore wrote: »
    Therefore I have paid double the cost of the order due to the original Amazon payment being 'lost' on the Revolt account and having to make top up transfers to cover the payments.

There is another Revolut thread where you might get more help, but in the meantime...

The behaviour you describe is normal for credit cards in general, but (see further below) can cause problems with a revolut card loaded with "just enough funds".

The pending transaction should "expire" 10 working days or so after its instigated as long as it is not "finalised" by Amazon (which it won't as they took split payments)

* Amazon normally only charge your card once a product ships so If you had multiple products and especially if they ship from different Amazon warehouses and at different times you will have multiple payments.

If you only had loaded the revolut card with enough funds to cover the purchase, the split payments would have been declined due to the single transaction "pending/hold"

This type of transaction behaviour is not normally an issue with a regular credit card which has a credit limit because the credit limit won't be breached. You also wouldn't seen the initial single transaction on your regular credit card statement as it would have expired and "Reserved funds" released back into your credit limit.

Similar problems often occur with restaurant bills, especially in the US, if you decide to pay a tip with he bill. Firstly the meal total is authorised leaving a pending transaction on your revolut card, then the waiter performs a 2nd transaction for the total+tip which is finalised, the first charge is never confirmed/finalised and is released back to funds after 10 days or so. for those 10 days you have a hole in your available funds. Some restaurants do process the payment correctly and modify the initial charge to a higher amount and finalise it but its something to be conscious of.

Advertisement