Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Led spotlights

Options
  • 08-02-2017 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I got a kitchen extension 6 months ago. There are 18 spotlights in total on 5 switches. 5 bulbs have already blown from 3 of the switches. They flickered for a day or so before they blew. Is this a wiring problem or am I just unlucky with the bulbs? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Are they mains or low voltage spots?

The low voltage spots have (in my experience) a far higher incidence of failure than the mains ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dee07

They are all on the mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

What make are the bulbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

What make are the bulbs?

...and are they the type with lots of small individual LED's or a small number of very bright LED's?

If you can, take one out and post pic...even a blown one..

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

If it's a new extension there may be too much insulation covering the bulbs from behind and there is nowhere for the heat to go. Remove one of the downlighters to see if the insulation is resting on it. If it is just push it apart so its not resting on the downlighter and this will allow the heat to escape from the bulb. This advice is from a lighting expert (my hubby) lighting is his full time job.

• Advertisement

This is one of the blown bulbs. It is a 7w.

I have just looked behind the blown bulb which I removed and there is a foot of free space behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

dee07 wrote: »
    This is one of the blown bulbs. It is a 7w.

As far as i know There's a 2 year warranty with that lamp so you should get them replaced FOC from where you bought them.
    Even though they are LEDs they still need a certain amount of breathing space above so I would say it's just your insulation.
    just a quick question, are you dimming them?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

You wouldn't believe the difference in the brands quality in these aswell..generally we try and always install the Phillips 5w,haven't seen a faulty one yet and talking to the lads in kellihers the amount that come back are basically none..is that an osram?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Are they on dimmer switches?

• Advertisement

The brand is robus. The electrician put them in. They are not on dimmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

dee07 wrote: »
    I got a kitchen extension 6 months ago. There are 18 spotlights in total on 5 switches. 5 bulbs have already blown from 3 of the switches. They flickered for a day or so before they blew. Is this a wiring problem or am I just unlucky with the bulbs? Thanks

Just wondering if you have had any problems with other lights (apart from the new installation), Or any other signs anything
    electrical

Advertisement