Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserved rooms and occupied owners

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I really don't miss the Irish renting sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I really don't miss the Irish renting sector.

Me neither. Thank god I'm nearly out of it.
    I think i should be clear of it in about 6 months or so.

76544567 wrote: »
    Me neither. Thank god I'm nearly out of it.
    I think i should be clear of it in about 6 months or so.

Same. Living happily in England now. I think the forum is let down by people suggesting dodgy practices. I'll open a thread in feedback about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Also I don't suggest anything illegal, I may suggest rule bending or loop holes etc which imo are all fair game.

Mod note
    "Rule bending" comes close enough to illegal to be unwelcome on this forum.
    Same. Living happily in England now. I think the forum is let down by people suggesting dodgy practices. I'll open a thread in feedback about it.

If you have an issue with a post please report it. A&P has an active moderation team.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Mod note
    "Rule bending" comes close enough to illegal to be unwelcome on this forum.

If you have an issue with a post please report it. A&P has an active moderation team.

Sorry Ath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Lived in an apartment for a few years where the LL kept one of the bedrooms for their own storage and used to drop in for a few minutes roughly once a week to drop stuff off/collect something.

They lived elsewhere though and for all intents and purposes I had a 2 bed apartment for the price of one so it worked out well for both of us.

They were a pleasure to deal with and any problems were fixed swiftly so I didn't mind or care whether or not they were bending rules to be honest. Got a glowing reference when I moved out and I'd happily deal with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It only becomes an issue when there is a dispute. What makes me laugh about all this 'rule bending' is it's being done by LL's to try and overcome a very pro-tenant culture. In a pro-tenant culture are the RTB and courts likely to look favourably on LL's taking the mickey - no of course they're not; so there's no point engaging in it in the first place.

AirBnB and a couple of other options are the way to go. Another is to get someone in you really trust and let them sub-let. Anything else is just looking for a bad tenant, well aware of their rights to take you to the cleaners in regards to illegal evicts etc.

It only becomes an issue when there is a dispute. What makes me laugh about all this 'rule bending' is it's being done by LL's to try and overcome a very pro-tenant culture. In a pro-tenant culture are the RTB and courts likely to look favourably on LL's taking the mickey - no of course they're not; so there's no point engaging in it in the first place.

AirBnB and a couple of other options are the way to go. Another is to get someone in you really trust and let them sub-let. Anything else is just looking for a bad tenant, well aware of their rights to take you to the cleaners in regards to illegal evicts etc.

This is the whole point really. If it was easy to get rid of bad tenants quickly and recoup losses from them immediately there would be no need to look for ways to stop them getting rights. Totally unbalanced rental laws that efficicvely give a tenant total control over a property they don't own nor have any financial investment (or risk) in is totally wrong and of course LLs are going to try to find ways to prevent being in a situation where they are stuck with a bad tenant they can't get rid off.

This is the whole point really. If it was easy to get rid of bad tenants quickly and recoup losses from them immediately there would be no need to look for ways to stop them getting rights. Totally unbalanced rental laws that efficicvely give a tenant total control over a property they don't own nor have any financial investment (or risk) in is totally wrong and of course LLs are going to try to find ways to prevent being in a situation where they are stuck with a bad tenant they can't get rid off.

Having rented in England and other countries I can say rental laws aren't the cause of dodgy landlords. There seems to be a better ethos in England regadding renting.

Having rented in England and other countries I can say rental laws aren't the cause of dodgy landlords. There seems to be a better ethos in England regadding renting.

They may not be the reason for bad LLs in general but they are certainly the reason for so many LL doing things like keeping rooms, renting rooms seperately, offering only short term lets (less than 6 months), moving to airbnb (thus reducing rental stock) etc. The fact is tenants have too much power in this country and a LL is taking a lot of risk by letting a property in a standard way (i.e. Full house rented under one lease and for longer than 6 months).

The worst thing is it's worse it's getting not better, like the madness of moving to 6 year part 4 (preventing LL changing tenants/doing as they want with their property after 4 years) and even attempts from some to stop LLs taking back control of THEIR property for their own use or selling. Added to the rental caps is it any wonder LL are trying to look after themselves as best as possible by finding ways to limited the impact of rental laws on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They may not be the reason for bad LLs in general but they are certainly the reason for so many LL doing things like keeping rooms, renting rooms seperately, offering only short term lets (less than 6 months), moving to airbnb (thus reducing rental stock) etc. The fact is tenants have too much power in this country and a LL is taking a lot of risk by letting a property in a standard way (i.e. Full house rented under one lease and for longer than 6 months).

The worst thing is it's worse it's getting not better, like the madness of moving to 6 year part 4 (preventing LL changing tenants/doing as they want with their property after 4 years) and even attempts from some to stop LLs taking back control of THEIR property for their own use or selling. Added to the rental caps is it any wonder LL are trying to look after themselves as best as possible by finding ways to limited the impact of rental laws on them.

Well maybe your average accidental/amateur landlord should just get out of the game entirely then rather than trying to circumvent the rules by stuff like AirB&B, or "living there but not actually living there" etc

I agree that there needs to be an effective mechanism to get rid of troublesome/non-paying tenants quickly and easily, but this notion that "buy/have house, rent out = PROFIT!" that many of the above type of LL's have is as big an issue.

I similarly agree that it's ridiculous that (in Dublin anyway) long-term unemployed people can sit on/in prime housing stock for low rents indefinitely while those who are earning good wages are being forced further and further out.

But the sector needs proper reform and restructuring on BOTH sides. Personally I'd rather see the "amateur" LL become an exception rather than the norm but with very effective regulations placed on the big corps that would no doubt fill the gap.

Private renting isn't a commercial business. It's people's homes and that needs to be taken into account by Government and those who want to invest in it.

Advertisement