Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 8 Programmer

Options
  • 08-02-2017 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,

Just wondering has anyone done this exam recently?
    "Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 8 Programmer"

I am a bit confused, as my friend told me that if I have experience in Java programming I could go straight for the Java SE 8 Programmer II 1Z0-809 exam, but in line with Oracles website, before taking this exam I have to pass the Java SE 8 Programmer I 1Z0-808 first.

Has any benefits of doing the cert for Java 6 , 7 or 8?

I have noticed that if I go for Java 6, than lets me to do the Java SE 6 Programmer Certified Professional 1Z0-851 without having to pass the Java SE 6, Certified Associate 1Z0-850.

What is the most common way to get ready for the exam? Can I buy the exam and material as a bundle?

Any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Enthuware do software that covers the course questions that you'll be asked.

afaik there's not much difference in the Java 6 and Java 8. The introductory ones are simply covering the basics and they use a lot of silly beggars to catch you out. Things like no camel casing and missing semi colons and so forth. The questions also give sample code that isn't properly formatted either.

For example they'll give you code sample with a simple loop in it, and it'll be poorly formatted. They then give you a multiple choice of what the issue is, and a lot of the time its a missing semi colon, or a missing closing parentheses, rather than testing your knowledge of say a break, continue or label.

Ecollege run a course for the java exams. Its free to those on Social Welfare, but you can fork out for it yourself if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Are they worth doing?

Would they increase employability?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Are they worth doing?

Would they increase employability?

I was doing one, but quit since I went in to full time education. I saw no point in studying java and C# at the same time

To be fair, without an academic qualification it'll be tough finding a job anyway

Have you much experience or any other relevant qualifications?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'm in my 3rd year of a 4th year degree. Java is the primary language we use, and I'm comfortable enough with it.

But if a Oracle certification helps job opportunities, it can't hurt to seek into it further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

I think there was a change in the test format between 6 and 7? The 6 associate exam was very simple and not a pre-requisite for programmer, the 7+ associate exams are harder and a pre-requisite.

If you go for the 7 or 8 exam, I can recommend the enthuware sample questions. If you can regularly pass those tests, you'll pass the actual test. There's a forum with a post for each question where you can discuss why you got it wrong which I found useful.

It's only around a tenner, so it's an easy way to find out where you stand. It's in the same format as the test will be, so it's a good tool.

Mala Gupta's book is pretty good too.

I don't know if it's changed since, but the last time I saw the ecollege course, it was pretty much just links to youtube videos. and poorly linked at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I agree with the people recommending Enthuware. Only around 10 euro and I found them invaluable. Very tricky but very similar to the real exam

This website too was great for when I couldn't figure something out:
    https://coderanch.com/c/certification

Advertisement