Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Veterinary Nursing Placement

• 08-02-2017 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys,

I deferred a place on veterinary nursing last year, which I'll be starting in September as a mature student.

I was hoping someone could tell me how the work placement goes for the course? Like is it done at particular times of the year? In one block or something like 1 day a week etc

Any advice would be great,

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 karina19

The placement is 8 weeks starting after exams in may of first year and second year and 14 weeks in second semester of 3rd yr

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ElaineS27

Thanks Karina!

I hope it's not too hard to find somewhere to take you on for 8 solid weeks at once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

It can be difficult to find a good one that is busy enough so you would get to practice the skills you need signed off. In first year, I left getting mine till a few months before and I ended up doing it in a very quiet clinic. I felt at a disadvantage going back into 2nd year. I organised my 2nd and 3rd year places during that 1st year placement to make sure I didn't get caught out again. You have to do a small animal placement, a large animal and an equine placement over the three years. Some clinics are mixed practice but when I was in AIT you couldn't go back to the same clinic to do different placements.
    I think there might be a rule now too that there must be a nurse in the clinic, that wasn't in force when I did mine although for Large animal practice it might be ok. Anyway I'd start looking now if you can.

Thanks for the information!

Wow, I had no idea there would be so many conditions, I have no idea where to try for the equine placement in my county!
    I know a really good newly opened small animal practice, and I did work experience a few years ago for another practice that does a lot of work with large animals. The thoughts of trying to find somewhere for such a long stretch is nerve wracking, I really can't afford to live away from home for the majority of summer as well so my hometown is my only realistic option!

What county are you in do you mind saying? It doesn't have to be an equine hospital (although it's a great experience to see the way they work). There are a lot of vets that have a name for equine work though the name of the business wouldn't say that.

• Advertisement

I'm from Sligo town, really hoping I can find suitable placement there!

Can you drive?

I'm not on the road at the moment!

It would be an enormous advantage to you if you got that sorted out before you start college. It will give you more options regarding where you can do placement obviously but also when I was on placement I was asked to drive places eg, going back at night time to give meds to a patient, picking up stuff from one clinic to another that kind of thing.

Also just to add some of the equine hospitals have accommodation, not always free but it is there in some of them

• Advertisement

Thanks again for such helpful advice.

It would make life so much easier if I was on the road, I'm going to be saving every penny I have to try to be able to afford this before college starts.

I don't know how people can afford accommodation, bills, car costs and so on, on a grant or BTEA!

Don't stress about it, it all works out :-) I was on BTEA myself. Rent up to 2014 when I left was pretty low, but the houses could be very cold and basic, I spent a lot of time in the college where it was warmer! Another thing was I was a mature student and Athlone night life hadn't much appeal for me so I hardly drank at all my whole time there which saved loads of money. I didn't buy any new clothes outside of a few penneys tops and underwear etc. My biggest expense obviously was my car but I did manage to live on the BTEA.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll be okay once it begins, just the thought of getting so much organised and saving up for so many different things beforehand is a lot! I don't drink at all so at least there won't be that expense, I'd rather go to the gym in the college to pass time in the evenings! I'll be leaving all my pets here in Sligo, some with my partner, and some with my dad, but I'll still be paying for everything for them, so I'll definitely be trying to bulk buy as much as I can before leaving!

Advertisement