Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Disgruntled Tenant

the_syco wrote: »
    On this; do you have proof that you informed him three years ago? Text or email? Because otherwise he'll say he was never notified.
    Unfortunately I didn't put it in writing. I know now that I should have, but I do have witnesses who were present on a few occasions over the years when I asked him when he would fix the problems.

Also, this is the view he gets, every time he comes to collect the rent.

32809274385_6af03aec44_z.jpg

32809274485_96f248e996_z.jpg

32809273925_8605946d2f_z.jpg

It's not like he could say he didn't notice it.
    The ceiling in the hall is ready to fall down too, and there's water streaming from that light switch whenever it rains.

This is the section of ceiling that has fallen down.

32809274235_bde521dee4_z.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

^ I certainly wouldn't like to be taking a breath in that room.

beertons wrote: »
    ^ I certainly wouldn't like to be taking a breath in that room.

Unfortunately I don't have much choice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Unfortunately I don't have much choice :(

You do though, get out, that place isn't fit for living in.

You do though, get out, that place isn't fit for living in.
    It's much easier said than done. I don't have the financial means to move house right now, and if I did, I'm not physically or mentally fit to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It's much easier said than done. I don't have the financial means to move house right now, and if I did, I'm not physically or mentally fit to do so.

Please phone Threshold; they can and will give you an advocate who will contact the landlord for you , and as they are" official" that can avail more. Like you I dread confrontation so this worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

We've had this discussion in another thread.  Between the heating and the roof, the CC may simply say that the place is no longer fit for habitation, so the OP will have to move out.

OP, best of luck with the house-hunting.   I really cannot see this being resolved.
    That is NOT a given at all. However, after seeing the pictures - in this case I agree. OP, you NEED to get out of there. But not before addressing all your complaints with the Tenancy board and suing for damages to health and having the LL fined for neglect of duty.That is your right and you will get it. Get in touch with the legal aid board.

http://www.legalaidboard.ie/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

We've had this discussion in another thread. Between the heating and the roof, the CC may simply say that the place is no longer fit for habitation, so the OP will have to move out.

OP, best of luck with the house-hunting. I really cannot see this being resolved.
    I hope you're not encouraging the OP to not contact the local authority, who are legally entitled to inspect typical rented properties?

A repairs notice would be issued in such cases, and the cost may still be worth it to allow for future renting and so on. Furthermore, depending on the roof condition, there may be no need to move out for remedial works to happen. The oil tank removal hardly necessitates someone to move out for repairs to commence.

Those two issues in particular, along with the new garage and electricity bill issue, suggest there's a strong case for the landlord to answer.

The PRTB could well adjudicate damages to be awarded if the landlord doesn't meet basic legal obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

OP, I hope you find the strength and the support to stand up for your rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

How about this (true) scenario- LL rents house (3 bed, Dublin) to business owner in the late 90's. Over the recession the business crashed and burned. LL never registered with Rtb. Rent for a 3 bedroom house normally fetching 1.5k pm is renting at 250e per month. I kow the family quite well, and know this to be true.
    The tenant asked to be allowed get a Social Welfare payment towards the rent, once the business was gone, but as the LL had never registered the tenancy, was is in fear of doing so due to financial and possible judicial repercussions, although my neighbour even offered to pay his Ptrb fees outstanding if he would accept RA. But he prefers 250e cash a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Please stick to the OP's issues. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pointelle

poor you, sounds like a real pain. You need to document some of these troubles see a medical professional about your mental health you've been taken advantage of and treated pretty badly. All rent increases should be notified in writing with a set time of advance warning I'm sure. Threshold are very well informed and can probably help you out with a lot of these issues. Would you consider moving? It seems as though your quiet paradise has been ruined, and while you should do something about this jackass he will most likely find some way to end your tenancy. You can sue through the prtb you are entitled to peaceful enjoyment as a basic part of a tenancy and you have been probably too easygoing so got walked on a bit, again I'm sorry you find yourself in this. Notify him in writing about the roof, note that you informed him 12 (!) years ago, and of your expenses . Inform your water provider and electricity provider of your recently discovered jockey back thief and see if they will help you, all along ask for a letter to be sent to you for your records. Go talk to a no win no fee solicitor you've been mucked about, mental distress is an awful injury and being of an anxious or depressed disposition is hard enough without being taken advantage of. Try not to be / get upset state these facts have them written out because you can get upset talking it through. I'm getting so angry for you it's a crappy situation but you'll get through be kind to yourself and really try to leave it all behind you a good solicitor will do their best or even personal injuries board could advise , everyone you speak with will do their best for you, you've no need to worry for your anxiety, climbing out of this hole might help you in the future but mind yourself all throughout , it could even be an idea to reach out to a counselling provider? All the best to you I really hope it works out

I feel I should update this thread, as things have (finally) progressed, somewhat.
    The leaking roof was fixed and the whole of the ceiling in the front room was replaced... Then the landlord decided to increase the rent from €500/month to €575/month. I asked him to put the rent increase in writing but he point-blank refused. He said he would only declare the rent @ €500/month (he previously only declared €374/month when I was paying €500/month), as he wanted "a little bit for himself". He still refuses to issue a rent book or allow me to pay the rent directly into his bank account. I can only assume this is because he's defrauding the taxman.
    Now he's saying I owe him rent. I don't. I've never been behind on my rent payments. Even when the house wasn't fit for human habitation, I still paid the rent, but he has never supplied me with a receipt for rent paid since the day I moved in, and now he's saying I'm behind with my payments (more lies).
    I told him I want compensating for my personal possessions, which were damaged as a result of his negligence, and his answer was "tough, you should have had your own insurance!"... That was the tipping point. The point at which I decided enough was enough, and I'd rather live in a tent than put up with this any longer, so I filed a dispute with the RTB, and the case will be heard later this month.
    I'm still not in a good place mentally but I finally feel that he no longer has control over me. I feel like I've finally taken back a little of the power he's taken from me over the past 16 years.
    I'll update the thread after the hearing.
    Thanks again for all your support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

What if he decides he wants to sell the house and issues you with your marching orders. Will you be able to rent something similar for €500 pm. I’m sure you’re right in everything you’re doing but I’d be more inclined to call a truce with him and try and hammer out a deal. You’re assuming he’s stroking the taxman but maybe he isn’t. If you like where you are try and strike a deal. If you can’t then go ahead and hang him but you’ll still need somewhere to live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

emeldc wrote: »
    You’re assuming he’s stroking the taxman but maybe he isn’t. .
    The landlord has said he wants "something for himself," in refusing to give a full receipt. That clearly means he is stroking the taxman. Maybe you are trying to get into the place?

What if he decides he wants to sell the house and issues you with your marching orders. Will you be able to rent something similar for €500 pm. I’m sure you’re right in everything you’re doing but I’d be more inclined to call a truce with him and try and hammer out a deal. You’re assuming he’s stroking the taxman but maybe he isn’t. If you like where you are try and strike a deal. If you can’t then go ahead and hang him but you’ll still need somewhere to live.
    At this stage I'd rather live in a tent.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The landlord has said he wants "something for himself," in refusing to give a full receipt. That clearly means he is stroking the taxman. Maybe you are trying to get into the place?
    Yea, missed that bit! I still think he needs to do a deal. €575 in any part of the country sounds like a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

emeldc wrote:
    Yea, missed that bit! I still think he needs to do a deal. €575 in any part of the country sounds like a good deal.

You may realise soon enough that the price is actually a good price.

C’mon now, no you wouldn’t. What really important things would the LL have to do to allow you live in peace. Don’t say rent book. Take your time with your answer.

C’mon now, no you wouldn’t. What really important things would the LL have to do to allow you live in peace. Don’t say rent book. Take your time with your answer.
    I don't think either of you realise that living in a tent would be much better than the situation I've been forced to endure for the past 15 or so years.

• Advertisement

I don't think either of you realise that living in a tent would be much better than the situation I've been forced to endure for the past 15 or so years.

Have you ever lived in a tent. I’m doing my best not to be cruel to you here and stating the obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

How about mediation through a trusted local person?

Could be a peace commissioner, community leader, or similar.

It would be a chance for both sides to draw a line on the issues and move forward.

Had a completely different issue in a rural kerry village a few years ago and acted as mediator in conjunction with a retired professional in a dispute over 6ft strip of land with both parties almost at fisticuffs.
    Two independent pairs of eyes able to see both sides had an agreement within weeks.

Rural disputes / life is quite different to urban disputes and both sides can become entrenched without realising that there is possibly a workable solution.

Have you ever lived in a tent. I’m doing my best not to be cruel to you here and stating the obvious.
    I'm about to try it.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    How about mediation through a trusted local person?
    It's too late for mediation. A person can only be pushed so far.

I'm about to try it.

Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

It's too late for mediation. A person can only be pushed so far.

Its never too late for trusted mediation. Dispute I got involved with was two years of entrenchment and both sides said mediation would not work.

6 weeks later we had agreement and it has stood to this day.

No-one in the community thought it could be done and the feckers got the two of us back last year for another issue - thankfully it was a lot simpler. But just needed independent eyes.

Would you be saying the same if he was living in your back garden four or five days a week and stealing your electricity to further his boredom?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

and be involved in facilitating tax evasion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Graces7 wrote: »
    and be involved in facilitating tax evasion?

Not the tenant's responsibility or problem at all if the landlord fails to report or pay his taxes properly, that's 100% on the landlord (unless the landlord is living abroad, of course). That said, if the landlord's willing to take the piss with the taxman, he's probably not going to play by the rules with anything else, as the OP's has clearly demonstrated, so you may well end up having to put up with a lot of bull**** at some point if you decide to enable a landlord like that.

• Advertisement

dennyk wrote: »
    Not the tenant's responsibility or problem at all if the landlord fails to report or pay his taxes properly, that's 100% on the landlord (unless the landlord is living abroad, of course). That said, if the landlord's willing to take the piss with the taxman, he's probably not going to play by the rules with anything else, as the OP's has clearly demonstrated, so you may well end up having to put up with a lot of bull**** at some point if you decide to enable a landlord like that.

I'm no longer anabling him. I have an RTB adjudication this month, and he's in for a whole world of pain.
    Like I said. A person can only take so much.

Advertisement