Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Issues

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Graces7 wrote: »
    and be involved in facilitating tax evasion?

The LL’s tax affairs are none of the op’s business. If he reports him to revenue and he’s found to be evading for the last 15 years, then they’ll probably take the house off him anyway, leaving the op homeless. Problem solved? IMO if the op has reached the end of his tether with the LL he should just move out and find somewhere else to live. The road he is choosing is long and stressful but i think the end result will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

emeldc wrote: »
    Graces7 wrote: »
    and be involved in facilitating tax evasion?

The LL’s tax affairs are none of the op’s business. If he reports him to revenue and he’s found to be evading for the last 15 years, then they’ll probably take the house off him anyway, leaving the op homeless. Problem solved? IMO if the op has reached the end of his tether with the LL he should just move out and find somewhere else to live. The road he is choosing is long and stressful but i think the end result will be the same.

They wont seize the house but they will charge interest. Its circa 8 % pa on the unpaid amount for a honest mistake with no limits on how far back but max 100%...add penalty interest and then the criminal charges.

Revenue have a nice system of writing to you asking you do you want to make a statement regarding a years tax return if they think it has been underfiled. At that stage if you dont pay the correct amount and an audit is carried out you will be facing a custodial sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

davindub wrote: »
    They wont seize the house but they will charge interest. Its circa 8 % pa on the unpaid amount for a honest mistake with no limits on how far back but max 100%...add penalty interest and then the criminal charges.

Revenue have a nice system of writing to you asking you do you want to make a statement regarding a years tax return if they think it has been underfiled. At that stage if you dont pay the correct amount and an audit is carried out you will be facing a custodial sentence.

And just because someone is “reported” to revenue doesn’t mean they will investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Disgruntled Tenant

emeldc wrote: »
    davindub wrote: »

I almost forgot... Two years ago, whilst he was building his shed, his builders ran the well dry. It had been hit and miss since I moved in but the extra load finished it off, so he had to get a new well drilled last year, and I was without water for 16 days.

The well water stinks, so I kept asking for a report to prove its potability. The report finally arrived a few weeks ago, and it came with a warning not to drink the water, as it isn't potable. That was the last straw.

I'll be reporting him to the tax man this week. I'll also be reporting him to the council for having no planning permission for the 60' x 30' shed he built at the back of the house. Then I'm sure the environmental protection agency will be interested to know that he used a whole van and a few refrigerators as landfill for the front garden, and finally I'll be reporting him for insurance fraud, as he held the threat of eviction over my head unless I signed a document for his insurance company, stating that I wasn't residing at the house (I was) whilst the repairs were taking place, repairs to damage that I'm sure he told them wasn't a direct result of his negligence.

Like I said, you can only push a man so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

No one has forced you to live there for 15 yeara or so. If it really is as bad why didn't you move?

Something about this whole story just doesn't add up.

• Advertisement

No one has forced you to live there for 15 yeara or so. If it really is as bad why didn't you move?

Way to go with the victim blaming. Well done you! :rolleyes:

You do realise that landlords have responsibilities, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

OP, if there is a constant water leak, be careful about mold... which can lead to toxic spores in air.  That won't do your well-being any good at all. 

Depending on how the property you were renting was defined (i.e. including the garden) your landlord may be breaching your original lease.  So call Threshold and PRTB!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The well water stinks, so I kept asking for a report to prove its potability. The report finally arrived a few weeks ago, and it came with a warning not to drink the water, as it isn't potable. That was the last straw.

In that case, the house isn't fit for human habitation.

You need to move.

Are you on the council housing list? If not, go and see them on Tuesday and register.

turbot wrote: »
    OP, if there is a constant water leak, be careful about mold... which can lead to toxic spores in air. That won't do your well-being any good at all.

Depending on how the property you were renting was defined (i.e. including the garden) your landlord may be breaching your original lease. So call Threshold and PRTB!

The RTB are already involved. The case is being heard this month.

In that case, the house isn't fit for human habitation.

You need to move.

Are you on the council housing list? If not, go and see them on Tuesday and register.
    I'll be moving out within the next month or so.

I am registered with Galway housing, but as a single man It's looking like a tent at the moment.

Just for all the landlords here...
    A month ago our RTB hearing was adjourned because there were so many landlord infractions that they couldn't be heard in a single day. Tomorrow the case against him continues.
    I have to add this bit, because it's so funny it would be wrong not to!
    When the RTB adjudicator asked the landlord why it took 6 years to fix the roof, his reply was.... "It's hard to get a builder these days. They've all moved to Australia!"
    Anyway, the final hearing is tomorrow. I'll post back here when I know more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Price of rent. Sometimes it's easier to live in a large sh|thole than it is to live in a small nice apartment.

And some people just like being martyrs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- honestly- the property isn't habitable- and hasn't been for a long time.
    You have gone out of your way to antagonise the situation with the landlord- and he with you- its clearly a two-way street in my eyes (as someone who has never met either of you- and thankfully, never set foot on the property).
    Going out of the way to hang him out to dry with his wife who was divorcing him- was malicious on your part- you're not as innocent as a driven snow no-matter what you'd like to think yourself. Mind you- stealing your electricity- was bang out of order on his part- regardless of what the story was with the water.

The whole story- is quite incredible- the landlord does deserve a big fine- however, regardless of what way you look at it- there is no way you should be living in the property.

One way or the other- you're out of there and looking for a new property. The rent you're paying- is quite incredible in today's age- its not the going rate anywhere in the country- and I'm sorry- but any money you manage to extract from the landlord by way of compensation for what you've gone through- will evaporate in payments for rent elsewhere.

Its a bit of a case- you get what you pay for- and you have not paid the going rate for a habitable dwelling, for a long long time.

Its a bit of a pity that mediation was dismissed as unsuitable out of hand- I honestly think it could have worked out very well for you (however, you'd probably have had to apply for HAP- and move to a new property)............

Two wrongs don't make a right- neither you nor the landlord are innocent here- as the old say goes- you may be more sinned against than sinning- however, the fact of the matter is- you're out looking for a new property come what may, and the landlord most probably has a fairly tidy fine to pay (the higher the fine- the less likely he is to pay it).

You can claim against your insurance for the damaged items (they will be covered from your tenant's insurance) however, your insurance company may very well chase the landlord for compensation too- however, your remiss is via your own insurance.

Its an unholy mess- made worse by intransience on the parts of both you and the landlord- it sounds like a lot of the issues could have been solved- had you sat down with an independent mediator- instead of needlessly antagonising one another............

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

but any money you manage to extract from the landlord by way of compensation for what you've gone through- will evaporate in payments for rent elsewhere.
    On this; the more money you get from the landlord, the less chance you'll get a place nearby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

the_syco wrote: »
    On this; the more money you get from the landlord, the less chance you'll get a place nearby.

Getting an award from the RTB against the landlord does not necessarily mean not getting money. It is no longer an offence to ail to comply with a determination order.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Getting an award from the RTB against the landlord does not necessarily mean not getting money. It is no longer an offence to ail to comply with a determination order.

There is a certain mindset in the type of person likely to ignore a determination order- and I'd suggest its on open view in this case.

Advertisement