Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hammock Posts

Options
  • 08-02-2017 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm looking at putting a couple of timber posts up in the garden for hanging a hammock but can't seem to find anywhere that sells posts of sufficient size.
    Would anyone have any advice on where to get them?
    Ideally the posts will be 12 foot and 6x6 inch.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

better off using galvanised box section and then face it with pressure treated [PT'd] timber.
    I certainly would not sleep well in a hammock with timber stakes, they will eventually rot in the ground, even when PT'd

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DB1987

better off using galvanised box section and then face it with pressure treated [PT'd] timber.
    I certainly would not sleep well in a hammock with timber stakes, they will eventually rot in the ground, even when PT'd

Thanks for the advice Calahonda52.
    I'm very new to any sort of DIY projects so if could you explain what you mean when you say 'then face it with pressure treated timber' it would really be appreciated.
    I never thought of using box section but I think I'll use your advice as the wood rotting was also a concern I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mc4hire

Have you thought about using a horizontal brace between the tops of the two posts in a goalpost-like design.

This may not be as aesthetically pleasing but it would counteract the sideways pull exerted by the Hammock.

I think by " Facing" you attach thinner strips of wood above ground level to give the Box steel the appearance of a Timber post.

Drilling through steel is not always easy but sometimes the facing strips could be glued or secured together with discreet screws/tacks at the corners into each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DB1987

Mc4hire wrote: »
    Have you thought about using a horizontal brace between the tops of the two posts in a goalpost-like design.

This may not be as aesthetically pleasing but it would counteract the sideways pull exerted by the Hammock.

I think by " Facing" you attach thinner strips of wood above ground level to give the Box steel the appearance of a Timber post.

Drilling through steel is not always easy but sometimes the facing strips could be glued or secured together with discreet screws/tacks at the corners into each other.

I had thought about the horizontal brace idea but as you said aesthetically it's not an option.
    Thanks for the help.

Anyone have advice on where I could buy galvanized box section?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You'll need to give the lateral forces on any structural elements some though or it'll be a waste of time and energy.

http://www.bushcraftdays.com/how-to-make-a-free-standing-hammock-stand/ comes up with some interesting DIY remedies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

DB1987 wrote: »
    I had thought about the horizontal brace idea but as you said aesthetically it's not an option.
    Thanks for the help.

Anyone have advice on where I could buy galvanized box section?

PM me what part of the world u are in and I will reply

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I was just about to post on this and said I would search first, just wondering if OP got a fix in end?

My plan was to try and buy a steel post with something like the below on each one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vivere-Double-Hammock-Hook-Set/dp/B00PITYK7W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496656446&sr=8-2&keywords=hammock+hooks

Then big a hole, put down the steel and pour concrete around it. I would hope it would hold then in garden but maybe I am talking madness?

I wouldn't even care about putting pressure treated timber on it. Could just paint it with protective green paint.

I put concrete post in for wire using the following https://www.goodwins.ie/products/id-13.html?name=cement&type=simple&page=2 and they are very stable

Advertisement