Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie bike question

Options
  • 09-02-2017 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I recently started cycling after a long time away from it and I am finding it surprisingly enjoyable.  I don't have my own bike so I have a subscription to my local Coca-Cola public bike scheme which is useful as my commute is less than 30 minutes.

The bikes are quite simple and are similar to what I used to ride when I was younger - very few gears as such, maybe 1 or 2?

What type of bikes are they?  They don't seem to have a lot of gears, if any, which I tend to prefer.  I'm not planning to buy a bike anytime soon but if I was, I think I'd like something similar to these public bikes.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

veganrun wrote: »
    ....I'm not planning to buy a bike anytime soon but if I was, I think I'd like something similar to these public bikes.

Thanks
    Those bikes are designed to be practically vandal proof. You'll be able to get a bike that weights half as much and have twiceas much fun if you buy your own. If you like simple gearing you could go for a single speed bike which will require very little maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Thanks, I think I'd prefer a single speed one if I was going to buy.

Any suggestions for brands or places to buy from?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

Thanks, I think I'd prefer a single speed one if I was going to buy.

Any suggestions for brands or places to buy from?

Go fixedgear instead of single speed... They're much more fun! And get a frame instead of a bike and build one yourself exactly the way you want it.
    I find spd pedals a great option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I recently started cycling after a long time away from it

Welcome back :)

Don't do this.
    clod71 wrote: »
    Go fixedgear instead of single speed... They're much more fun!

If you do decide to go single speed pick up one with a flip flop hub and you can decide which way you'd like your teeth to remain :D

Thanks. I don't think I will buy something I have to build myself, just some sort of city bike is enough.

I'm surprised how much I enjoy cycling though. It's been over 20 years since I cycled at all really and it's surprised me how much I have been enjoying it since I started back this week. I only really started to shorten my commute to work and for fitness. I didn't expect to get enjoyment out of it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

Thanks.  I don't think I will buy something I have to build myself, just some sort of city bike is enough.

I'm surprised how much I enjoy cycling though.  It's been over 20 years since I cycled at all really and it's surprised me how much I have been enjoying it since I started back this week.  I only really started to shorten my commute to work and for fitness.  I didn't expect to get enjoyment out of it! :)
    Cycling makes you happy. It's a fact... https://cyclingtips.com/2015/02/why-cycling-makes-us-happy-the-positive-psychology-of-being-on-the-bike/ ;
    There are loads of single speed bikes around, most of them coming with a flip flop hub.
    Pick one that you like and enjoy :)

What does a flip flop hub do?

The city bikes I have been using I think have 3 gears which is enough for me. Are they single speed bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

What does a flip flop hub do?

The city bikes I have been using I think have 3 gears which is enough for me. Are they single speed bikes?

Fixed sprocket on one side and a freewheel hub on the other (I think?)

Example: https://sonabikes.com/bikes/mark-1-black/

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Fixed gear isn't for everyone. I've only ever ridden one on the track (where I think they belong).

I've owned a single speed for cycling around Dublin and while it had a flip flop hub, I never opted to use the fixed gear side.

OP, there are lots of good websites to give you an idea of what kinds of bikes are out there. (Cycle Superstore, Chain Reaction Cycles, Wiggle, Sigma Sport, Evans, Canyon, etc). It might be a good idea to pop into your local bike shop too and see what they can offer; especially if you're not interested in maintenance/bike building etc.

Advertisement