Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass in green bins

Options
  • 09-02-2017 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Very confused here... Does panda south Dublin take glass in recycling bin... Used to then I was told by neighbours that no more.... Never got a notification but see it on website. Have tried phoning.... Met lady this week who said she had been on phone to them that day and glass OK again!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I know that Panda out here in Blanchardstown state that they don't want you putting glass in the black bin or green bin. Which is very annoying. But of course one thing saying they don't want it... Another thing not caring if you do.

Personally I don't put glass in either bin because I am a coward :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Panda in Dun Laoghaire area take glass in green bin with no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

frash wrote: »
    Panda in Dun Laoghaire area take glass in green bin with no issues

there was a time they used to specify areas on their website and have different things allowed. I remember one time fingal said no glass and DLR was allowed.

Currently they have no splitting and just says no glass

https://www.panda.ie/household/what-can-i-put-in-my-bin.html
    NO
    Glass - General refuse - Food waste - Green or Garden waste - Wet waste - Nappies - Polystyrene - Wallpaper - Aeroboard / Styrofoam - Plastic film/bags - Plastic food wrappings

So I think people go online and see that and say its not allowed, but I have seen numerous people posting here saying they rang them in DLR and they say it is allowed.

rubadub wrote: »
    there was a time they used to specify areas on their website and have different things allowed. I remember one time fingal said no glass and DLR was allowed.

Currently they have no splitting and just says no glass

https://www.panda.ie/household/what-can-i-put-in-my-bin.html

So I think people go online and see that and say its not allowed, but I have seen numerous people posting here saying they rang them in DLR and they say it is allowed.

When I signed up they took glass and they never told me to stop so I'm gonna keep going with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I know the OP is asking about Panda but as the thread title is neutral and will probably attract former Greenstar customers in DLR, I'm going to chip in my tuppence worth on Greyhound, they took over from Greenstar in DLR at the end of 2016.

The Greyhound website and their 'What goes in my bin?' leaflet that came with the handover letter in December says that Greyhound will not take glass in any bin but I contacted them and they will take glass in the green bins, as they did in my case yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

But my friends, bottle banks are very common, they're dotted about all over the place.

So if you dump glass in bottle banks, there is more room in your green bin; and the recycling is more efficient as it is already sorted!

Day Lewin wrote: »
    But my friends, bottle banks are very common, they're dotted about all over the place.

But you have to drive to the bottle bank, this contributes to global warming and the fuel you consume increases the trade defecit.
    So if you dump glass in bottle banks, there is more room in your green bin;

For what?
    and the recycling is more efficient as it is already sorted!

Who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

coylemj wrote: »
    But you have to drive to the bottle bank, this contributes to global warming and the fuel you consume increases the trade defecit.

For what?

Who cares?

a. Bottle banks are very numerous, they are all over the place, behind pubs and sports centres etc. Often there IS one within walking distance.
    b. For all the other stuff that ought to be recycled, so your bin is lighter and emptied less frequently.
    c. A LOT of people. The recycling of waste is a European Directive. There's a reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If I got a discount for not putting glass in my bin I might bother with bottle banks. I pay a fair amount to have a green bin and so want to get good value for money from it. Many go on about green bins being "free", my rule is if you have to hand over money to get something then it's not free.

My bin is never full come collection day so space is not an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

They were supposed to be moving to pay by weight for the green bin too, but had to back away from it due to the inability of politicians to enact anything at the moment. If it ever happened, this would incentivise you to use the bottle bank instead; until then there's no need unless they decide not to accapt glass in the green bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

If you want to genuinely recycle glass, you bring it to a bottle bank, put it in the appropriate bin - Clear / green / brown and it is then used to make new bottles and jars.

Put it in the bin, it is just crushed and put into tarmac or other road material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

rubadub wrote: »
    If I got a discount for not putting glass in my bin I might bother with bottle banks.Many go on about green bins being "free", my rule is if you have to hand over money to get something then it's not free.

Isn't it about trying to preserve our precocious 'free' resources for the future, environmental awareness that protects you, provides for you and cares for you, for us all, for your off springs etc.

Shame that your only motivation to recycle is driven by as to what you could save.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

If they take it can you just put it IN with everything else or do people put it alongside in a seperate box?

If they take it can you just put it IN with everything else or do people put it alongside in a seperate box?

Glass in a green bin? Just toss your bottles and jars in along with paper and plastic. Even if you left your glass in a separate container outside your house on collection day, how do you think the binmen are going to deal with it? It all ends up in a heap in the back of the truck so segregating it would be a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

This issue was mentioned by Sean O'Rourke on Radio 1 yesterday.
    Panda did agree to take glass when people signed up.

It's not working out for them now & they are trying to discourage people from putting glass in the green bin. I guess the glass items get broken & the broken glass is mixed up with the cardboard etc... thus contaminating the recyclables.

LaLa2004 wrote: »
    It's not working out for them now & they are trying to discourage people from putting glass in the green bin. I guess the glass items get broken & the broken glass is mixed up with the cardboard etc... thus contaminating the recyclables.

I don't buy that at all, the recycling centres have technology to separate all sorts of material and IMHO the word 'contaminate' does not apply when talking about mixing glass with plastic and paper.

Filthy assh0les hiding disposable nappies and food waste in corn flakes boxes and dumping them in their green bin - that's where the word 'contaminate' is applicable.

In DLR, Greenstar originally offered us a smaller green bin intended exclusively for glass but they then started accepting glass in the regular green bins which suggests that they installed technology to separate glass from paper and plastic in their recycling centres.

Out of consideration for the workers in the recycling plant, and my personal disbelief that the glass cannot possibly be extracted and eventually recycled, we don't put glass in green bin. There are still plenty of glass recycling hubs in my area.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Out of consideration for the workers in the recycling plant ......

You've never seen how they do it then. Typically, plastic and paper is separated from glass by blasts of air, there is hardly any human handling involved in the process and if there is, it's usually to manually extract non-ferrous metal items which can't be extracted by magnets. This would happen with or without glass in the mix.
    .....and my personal disbelief that the glass cannot possibly be extracted and eventually recycled, we don't put glass in green bin. There are still plenty of glass recycling hubs in my area.

So what do you think happens glass that some of us put in the green bin?

You've never seen how they do it then. Typically, plastic and paper is separated from glass by blasts of air,
    So what do you think happens glass that some of us put in the green bin?

I don't know. However, I gather quite a lot of recycled materials are spoiled / contaminated. This gets sent to landfill.

If you put a glass light bulb as an example into a green bin, the shards are so minute there is no way they can be flushed out. This is my opinion. I am not asking anyone to walk to the bottle bank for me. I do that myself.

• Advertisement

I don't know. However, I gather quite a lot of recycled materials are spoiled / contaminated. This gets sent to landfill.

What has that got to do with glass in green bins?

What has that got to do with glass in green bins?
    Are you looking to argue? What's all the negativity?

I said all along I don't believe the glass can be thoroughly extracted from the regular household green bins. This is not necessarily fact, it is my belief.

We are happy to collect our rinsed out glass items and bring them to the local bottle bank.

I said all along I don't believe the glass can be thoroughly extracted from the regular household green bins. This is not necessarily fact, it is my belief.

When Greenstar took over in DLR from the council (along with Panda), they said we could not put glass in the green bins, either you paid extra for a smaller green bin for glass only or you took your glass to a local recycling centre yourself. After a while they announced that we could put glass into the main green bins so clearly they figured out how to separate glass from papers and plastic.

BTW, I agree with you about incandescent light bulbs, I throw them into the black bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭cobham

as an aside on this topic, should the newstyle ecobulbs also go in black waste or back to where bought when they wear out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

cobham wrote: »
    as an aside on this topic, should the newstyle ecobulbs also go in black waste or back to where bought when they wear out?

..is that not WEEE waste. I think an electrical retailer or recycling center is your best bet. LED might not be a problem but CFL could be, as they contain a tiny amount of mercury (mercury vapor reacts with the phosphor to create visible light).

Just to state, older Panda bins, like ours, do have glass on the green side (correct side) of a sticker on the lid.

I don't put glass in, I don't put in anything that I wouldn't like sorting myself.

..as an aside, I think we're being groomed to accept green bin charges in the future, the Poolbeg incinerator is such a strong element in this, a politically shady one at that.. totally at odds with the notion of recycling.

Having declined to accept a brown bin to date, we are now forced under pain of inspection/fine to take one and use it. Two pages of instructions with it from Panda and NO GLASS is to go into green bin.

We compost virtually all kitchen waste save for citrus. So the few bits (meat bones) we have to go in brown bin will be at some expense as annual charge will be incurred even if rarely used. It is even not too happy to take garden waste just accepting twigs!

To date I bring bags of garden woodie items to the dump at cost of 6 Euro and my time and petrol etc. In one town in uk, the 'compost' bin in much smaller and includes an indoor caddy. No weight or per lift charges either.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

cobham wrote:
    Having declined to accept a brown bin to date, we are now forced under pain of inspection/fine to take one and use it.

What were they threatening to inspect?

Having declined to accept a brown bin to date, we are now forced under pain of inspection/fine to take one and use it. Two pages of instructions with it from Panda and NO GLASS is to go into green bin.

We compost virtually all kitchen waste save for citrus. So the few bits (meat bones) we have to go in brown bin will be at some expense as annual charge will be incurred even if rarely used. It is even not too happy to take garden waste just accepting twigs!

To date I bring bags of garden woodie items to the dump at cost of 6 Euro and my time and petrol etc. In one town in uk, the 'compost' bin in much smaller and includes an indoor caddy. No weight or per lift charges either.:(

I declined it too when they came out
    Where's this inspection/fine coming from?

to quote bits from letter

" now illegal to put organic waste in black bin..... hefty fines from Europe for Ireland..... Co Council Enforcement officers now have statutary powers.... empowered to investigate what you as a household are foing with your biodegradable waste.... if in breach.... may be fined.... court prosecution"

22 euro annual charge
    2 56 euro per lift
    16 cent per kilo

• Advertisement

I don't know how they can police that, given that you are allowed to put disposable nappies in the black bin i.e. you're not expected to keep your black bin squeaky clean and smelling of roses!

If you put the odd scrap of meat or bone into the black bin and it's wrapped up in a plastic bag (the ones you get in the shops for loose fruit & veg.), how are they going to detect it?

Advertisement