Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass in green bins

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cobham wrote: »
    We compost virtually all kitchen waste save for citrus.

Is that because of the citric acid levels in orange and grapefruit skins? I compost all my plant waste which includes lots of citrus skins (one orange or grapefruit per day) and the worms and other inhabitants don't seem to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭cobham

Mmm I always thought the wriggley ones did not like the acid.?.. I often have half a lemon gone 'off' so it goes in main waste. Egg shells are another Q? supposed to attract the furry friends so like cooked food, not to go into compost. Some crunch up and use on ground as slug deterrent but we dont use many eggs.

I now buy the biodegradable mini bin liners to put food waste in so that is another expense.. about 18 cent a bag and there is another huge one to line the big bin at 83 cent each. People say flies are the main problem so I will be good about bagging stuff as dont see the brown bin going out too frequently. I will prob top up with garden clippings and maybe avoid trips to dump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cobham wrote: »
    Mmm I always thought the wriggley ones did not like the acid.?.. I often have half a lemon gone 'off' so it goes in main waste. Egg shells are another Q? supposed to attract the furry friends so like cooked food, not to go into compost. Some crunch up and use on ground as slug deterrent but we dont use many eggs.

I think you've been getting incorrect information on what can and can not go into a home compost bin. There is a booklet (link below) on the stopfoodwaste dot ie website, it talks about 'fruit peel, cores and rinds' as being good with no qualification about citrus fruits. The worms in my compost bin clearly don't have a problem with my orange and grapefruit skins. I use a citrus juicer so I have two halves each of which I chop two ways meaning that I end up with 8 pieces of skin every day, they go into the compost bin and get swallowed up.

I crush eggshells (about 6 a week) and throw them in, they disappear in no time and I never have a problem with flies, even on the odd occasion when I forget to close the lid and it's left open overnight. There's also no issue with cooked vegetables, I would have very little of this though.

Scroll down to 'Composting at Home Downloads' .....

http://www.stopfoodwaste.ie/downloads/

Advertisement