Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

growing a beard

Options
  • 09-02-2017 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

have never grown facial hair before for any longer than 5 days. Normally shave every day. After the 5th day whatever facial hair has grown starts to becoming itchy- is this normal.

Whats the best tool to use to trim a beard and how often would be the norm to cut it. Getting tired of shaving every day and want to try something different

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Stigura

mengele wrote: »
    have never grown facial hair before for any longer than 5 days. Normally shave every day. After the 5th day whatever facial hair has grown starts to becoming itchy- is this normal.

Funny. I've, genuinely, never had this " Itchy " experience. I've even tried to cause it. Specifically stopping shaving, and waiting for this itch. It never happened.

Saying that? I don't really, in all honesty, remember a period when I shaved, religiously. Not once I actually started genuinely needing to. Post bum fluff. Don't know if that had to do with it?

No. Tool for it? Wahl Trimmer. 'Designer Stubble', just like that. Chuck the combs away. Just use the lever.

I just use mine for my head now. Once the weather warms up. Given up with the face. Complete and total facial fungus now. This'll do me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes. Not everybody experiences this, as Stigura testifies, but most do. It passes after a few days. If it's really annoying, bit of baby oil can help.
    Whats the best tool to use to trim a beard . . .
    A dedicated beard trimmer. Most of them are adjustable, so you can keep the beard at the length you like. If at this point you're not sure what length you will like, get one that's adjustable over a wider range of lengths.
    . . . and how often would be the norm to cut it.
    I trim once a week or thereabouts, but your mileage may vary. If you like a very close-trimmed beard, then more frequently. Unless you're growing a very full beard - the wild man of the jungle look - you'll probably need to tidy up the edges with a razor every two or three days.

Of course, starting from scratch you'll want to wait until it reaches your desired length before you go in for regular trimming. I won't lie to you - it's not going to look well-groomed while you're growing it out. And you may want to experiment a bit with length to find what you like - growing it out a bit, trimming it back, and so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Day 5 to day 8 are itch hell for me. After that it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

growing my beard 2 months now. the first month does be hell for me with itchiness. ive quite slow growth realtivly compared to how long its growing so luckily dont have to trim too much.

the one thing i hate is my beard is a different colors. its a combination of ginger, blond, black and brown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Stigura

sky88 wrote: »
    the one thing i hate is my beard is a different colors. its a combination of ginger, blond, black and brown

Be happy. Mine's f**king White! If I wasn't such a miserable bastard, I could start putting in for Father Xmass jobs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I never got the itch part either TBH. Indeed reaching far back into time when I was shaving, that itched like a bugger and I got pimple breakout. That's one reason why I originally started growing the face fungus. All that then went away in short order.
    Stigura wrote:
    Be happy. Mine's f**king White! If I wasn't such a miserable bastard, I could start putting in for Father Xmass jobs
    :D Yeah, mine was like my head hair and of a similar texture too(and both grow with the speed of continental drift. I trim my close beard maybe three times a year. No Grizzly Adams/Ronnie Drew for me I'm afraid). A mixture of ginger and black. The ginger ones were the first to go grey on my head and chin. I've only a few left. I miss my ginge. :( Still a fair bit of dark ones left. TBH I've grown to like the salt and pepper look. Meh, I figure I'm moulting into my winter plumage now. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement