Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to transport car, it has NCT but no tax

• 09-02-2017 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hey guys,

I need to transport my car which I'm having trouble getting insurance in from Donegal to Galway.

The Car is NCT till 2018 but has no Tax.

Is my only option to have it towed / trucked up ?

Could somebody with an insurance policy covering them to drive other cars take it down for me ? the car still wont be taxed, could it be impounded or something?
    Not sure when it was last taxed probably around 3-6months ago.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

If tax is out more than 2 months it can be seized if stoped by the gardai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Guards generally leave you alone if you've just bought a car but since it's your car you either do a change of ownership or back tax it and insure it or get someone with a transporter trailer to go collect ..... that won't be cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Dazza123

dev100 wrote: »
    Guards generally leave you alone if you've just bought a car . Take a pic of your signature and date on the log book to show proof you just bought it. It could get it picked up on a transporter coming from there but won't be cheap . Could you not just insure it and go collect it yourself ....

I cant get insured in the car just yet as I'm doing a licence exchange from Australia to Ireland and cant get insurance until i have an Irish licence and licence number in my hand.
    I bought the car 2 months ago and had to driven to donegal for me by the fella at the dealership who is obviously covered to drive all cars etc.

Now i have moved to Galway and need it moved down here to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭893bet

For someone else to be covered to drive other cars does there not usually have to be a policy on the car by the owner or someone ?

I.e if I am insured on a corsa I cant drive a Ferrari and be covered by my drive other cars policy unless someone else has a policy already on the Ferrari ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

893bet wrote: »
    For someone else to be covered to drive other cars does there not usually have to be a policy on the car by the owner or someone ?

I.e if I am insured on a corsa I cant drive a Ferrari and be covered by my drive other cars policy unless someone else has a policy already on the Ferrari ?

What does your own policy have to say on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Dazza123 wrote:
    I cant get insured in the car just yet as I'm doing a licence exchange from Australia to Ireland and cant get insurance until i have an Irish licence and licence number in my hand. I bought the car 2 months ago and had to driven to donegal for me by the fella at the dealership who is obviously covered to drive all cars etc.

How much is your car tax ? No matter what you will have to back tax from the time you bought it anyways or do a change of ownership and avoid tax that way and you could get a relative to insure it in their name for the day.

As far I'm aware I can drive other cars on my policy but the car already has to be insured .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

dev100 wrote: »
    As far I'm aware I can drive other cars on my policy but the car already has to be insured .....

Can you say which company? There are a couple that specify it now alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jimbis

893bet wrote: »

Different companies have different rules with that cover. But even if the driver is insured, garage policy or not, they are still driving an untaxed car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

..Had 2 people call me yesterday who had just bought cars, were waiting on log books and due to the tax being out and the car not being in the owner's name yet had the cars seized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

..Had 2 people call me yesterday who had just bought cars, were waiting on log books and due to the tax being out and the car not being in the owner's name yet had the cars seized.
    Is that you, Joe?

• Advertisement
Advertisement