Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benchology

• 09-02-2017 12:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

From 5:47 - Del assembles his custom benches in this video

Anyone know of a company offering this kind of timber service in Ireland? They seem like great value for a great product. The brother is looking for something for his new shed.

Comments

cantdecide wrote: »
    From 5:47 - Del assembles his custom benches in this video

Anyone know of a company offering this kind of timber service in Ireland? They seem like great value for a great product. The brother is looking for something for his new shed.

Would yous not just build it yourselves? Give the dimensions you want to any carpenter and they will make it for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I made my own out of some scrap timber I had from my housebuild, they aren't difficult but IME you need to think about what you'll be doing on the bench.
    Lots of heavy engines maybe make it slightly lower, lighter more detailed stuff make it higher so you don't have to lean over it or bend down.
    I made mine too deep, 4ft deep with the intention of putting some toolcases on the top but its still a reach to the wall if you have stuff hung on it.
    I will probably cut mine down at some point in the future if I can clear it of junk!
    http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20xl.html

Edit : I built this shelving unit as well from the same site.
    http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/storage/finished_wall/surface_mount.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'd love to sort it out for him but I work and study so just don't have the time and won't until the summer and my brother has a bad back. We don't have much woodworking equipment either (even though you probably wouldn't need much I suppose). Del says in the video that you couldn't buy the timber for what he's paid for the complete benches so I thought there's great value in that and the fact you can just choose your lengths.

Maybe there's an argument for getting a carpenter to do it, all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Wonder what he paid.. Im guessing he's comparing timber prices to b&q, or homebase etc values, which are approx 3-4x the cost from a lumberyard.

what size / height are you thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

This would be mine,if I was let near wood,screws and a screwgun...:pac::o:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement