Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Work in Melbourne 2017

Options
  • 09-02-2017 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi everyone I was wondering what are the best ways to get work in Melbourne I've been applying to IT jobs on seek and applying for any job on backpackerjobsboard and gumtree. Does anybody find the Recruitment agencies helpful to get work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Hey
    You haven't given much information about your circumstances or qualifications e.g. what visa you are on but assuming you are on a WHV then agencies are the best way to go in my opinion as they have the ready made contacts.

Alot of employers wont hire you due to the 6 month limitation but having an agent who can sway an employer could be the difference.

Thats just my two cents worth. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kkeith5

Sorry I have a bachelor in business Honors degree that I completed in 2012 and last January completed a one year conversion course higher diploma in software development. I don't have any experience but continue to learn more so focusing on web development ATM and going to try and put together some websites using WordPress. I'm on the whv and thinking about doing the forklift licence course as I heard its easier to get work so I get some money coming in. 
    Would you recommend any agency s in particular like Hays or Hudson

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Sounds like you have the qualifications so now you just need the right job :)
    I don't particularly like Hays from my own personal experiences with them.
    I'm not very sure on IT recruiters but have a google. In my own experience i have had more joy with small recruiters rather than your big ones like Hays and Robert Half.
    Check out gumtree for landscaping/removal type.
    Have you considered doing your 3 months regional work in order to get your 2nd year visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kkeith5

jockey#1 wrote: »
    Sounds like you have the qualifications so now you just need the right job :)
    I don't particularly like Hays from my own personal experiences with them.
    I'm not very sure on IT recruiters but have a google. In my own experience i have had more joy with small recruiters rather than your big ones like Hays and Robert Half.
    Check out gumtree for landscaping/removal type.
    Have you considered doing your 3 months regional work in order to get your 2nd year visa?
    I did some fruit trimming work before I came to Melbourne but the work dried up and I dont really want to do that work for 3 months if I  cant get a job related to my degree anyways. Thanks for the advice I will look into the smaller recruitment company's now cause I tried the bigger ones and they really are no help at all.

Advertisement