Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sweet tooth holding me back

• 09-02-2017 12:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Cutting at the moment but having a hard time trying to stay away from sweet things. Theres always someone in work bringing the staff in biscuits or cakes which are very hard to avoid one or two.

My newest problem is that I can go a week without a bar of chocolate and then when I taste the first one, I cant stp and could end up eating 3-4. Its all just for that taste. Any recommendations to try and make yourself dislike sugary items haha?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Just don't eat them. I'm not being smart but at the end of the day that's what it comes down to; cutting weight is a matter of consistently making the right decisions and you need to decide not to eat cake when it's in front of you. Ask yourself why you're dieting when faced with eating chocolate etc and if the answer is you don't really care either way then eat away but if it's something you genuinely want then make the decision to abstain. It's hard but it's simple enough too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

It's tough, definitely the hardest part of trying to be an athlete is eating right for me. It really does boil down to how much you really want it. I set myself a goal like - no chocolate until next comp which is 26th of feb for me, then ill take a few days off after it and gear up the next goal

I don't think it's the taste we crave, more so the sugar. the longer you stay off it the easier it gets, so 2 weeks in and you'll have stopped thinking about it for the most part

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Gosh I used to have suuuuuch a sweet tooth. Chocolate every day!! Eventually it caught up with me, and I first just started with "cutting down", from a bar a day to a bar every second day, to a bar a week. 
    Then I had a nutritionist plan for 8 weeks which had little in the way of sweet stuff on it (cold turkey for a bit), and I finished every day with 1 square (10g) of 85% chocolate. When I was craving something sweet, it was a little taste of heaven ahah! My tastes slowly changed. 
    When I came off that plan I started using MyFitnessPal, and I never forget at Christmas when I had finished the plan, typing in 3 miniature heroes and seeing how many calories was in each one! Nothing but fat and sugar, and they kind of lost their appeal. I still enjoy them but from that moment I just saw them as rubbish and have much more willpower around them now. 
    That wasn't always the way though, I used to have an incredibly sweet tooth (probably sugar addiction almost) so I don't want it to sound like you'll have some "eureka" moment. Firstly, you need willpower. Does one little biscuit in work satisfy you more than losing your next kg or hitting that workout or whatever you're doing? For me I got tired of working out and not seeing results, and when I made that choice to eat better, I noticed the difference. I wanted the results more than I wanted the chocolate. 
    At home, I just don't buy it. This started out as a way for me not to eat three or four of them as you say. Just don't have it in the house and then it won't be there to tempt you. Now I don't have it in the house because it just sits there and goes uneaten :P I live abroad and mum has sent me dairy milks which are still wrapped up, and if I do go at them it's maybe a square or two at a time with a cup of tea. So don't restrict as it can lead to bingeing behaviours, but also be sensible and don't keep a ton of rubbish in the house. 
    At work - you just need willpower. No one is forcing those biscuits into your mouth. 
    If you need a sugary pick-me up, keep some alternative snacks with you. A clementine for example is so super-sweet, but is definitely going to have fewer calories than any cookie someone brought in. Maybe a handful of nuts and berries, just to keep your hands busy while the cakes and biscuits are going around. Try making protein balls or bring a small protein bar (check out the Healthy Spoon's protein balls which will give you a sweet fix, or keep an emergency Fulfil bar handy - the cost of them and the fibre content should be enough to stop you eating more than 1!). 
    It's not normal or helpful to deny yourself for a week and then not being able to stop and binge on 3 or 4. Maybe there's another issue you need to address there. It's just restriction, craving, bingeing. You can break that cycle by not restricting. Allow yourself a small bit of chocolate every day, if it means you can adhere better to your diet. Check out IIFYM or use MyFitnessPal to track your calories in and calories out, and if at the end of the day you have a few calories left, spend them on chocolate! It is possible to lose weight while still eating it, but it  sounds like you're taking the hard route by eliminating it completely. 
    Also after "that taste", maybe go and get a coffee or pop in some chewing gum, to stop you going back for more. I also like just a taste sometimes, so I pick up mini-bars like Freddo or a mini Dairy Milk and then that hits the craving but without being 100g of chocolate. Also start moving towards darker chocolate, so maybe buy a 37% one, then a 51%, then keep going up until you get to 70 or 85% cocoa, and then enjoy the darker chocolate. 
    You can have all the tips and tricks but the reality is you can't remove yourself from those situations, you just have to learn to say no.

Advertisement