Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alum? Or other ways to stop bleeding?

• 09-02-2017 1:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Where can one buy alum in Ireland? If it is only available online, which sources are reputable?

And/or: are there other ways of stopping blood from razor cuts and preventing infection, as invisibly as possible?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Shave properly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

As in with an electric shaver? That's the only way I know to avoid any and all cuts.

I actually have a foil shaver running pretty well, but want to try DE for an even closer shave... or wanted, until I pricked my finger today with a kitchen knife and the blood took a lot of time to stop. Which, as I now remember, always happens. So now I'd rather have some provision for handling cuts before trying the basic DE kit I now have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

MichaelR wrote: »
    Hello,

Where can one buy alum in Ireland? If it is only available online, which sources are reputable?

And/or: are there other ways of stopping blood from razor cuts and preventing infection, as invisibly as possible?

Thanks!

I got it in a bog standard pharmacy, wasn't very expensive either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

OP, if you are getting a lot of cuts, it sounds like you are not using the correct technique.

You need to find the grain and shave with it.

pngbase6444676f9ac5f28a3d.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I use Proraso gel - I know I get mine from shaving.ie, but you might be able to pick it up in a pharmacy.

I did find, however, that giving more time to my prep and technique worked out better in the long run. (I use DE razors).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are many factors in why you might be getting a lot of cuts when shaving.

Different blades have different properties, you might be using one that doesn't suit you.

Forcing the blade across the skin - the movement should be effortless, using no more than the weight of your hand.

Shaving against the grain, especially when growth is too long or you shaved yesterday.

Shaving cream not providing enough glide, causing the blade to stick

Shaving when the hair is long. In that instance, use a conditioner on it the day before and the day of your shave, it'll soften it right up and the blade will go through it without catching or jumping.

Ultimately a nick here and there is fairly normal. Looking like a slasher movie or getting cuts so deep you're worried about infection, means something has gone wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

OP, if you are getting a lot of cuts, it sounds like you are not using the correct technique.

You need to find the grain and shave with it.

Not necessarily. It could be a combination of blade/razor, lack of prep, sensitive skin, technique etc. I shave wtg twice then xtg and sometimes atg before xtg and rarely get cuts.

Some blades don't work well with some razors. I don't like the feathers with the 34c but Astras work very well. The feathers and vokshods are great in the 41c.

For prep make sure the pores are open - hot water wash, towel treatment, pre-shave balm - whatever is needed.

Regarding alum blocks there is also styptic pencils. Knights in Stephens Green and Dundrum stock them. I think Boots have styptic pencils too.

For online shaving.ie is a reputable site.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Personally I find the best remedy is to shave slowly, short strokes with the razor (DE for me) using the razors weight rather then applying any pressure. A proper lather of your soap/cream is needed. And it's important not to pass over the same place twice. Using this method I find that I don't need to prep the face aside from wetting it. Taking your time I find to be the key.

It's the other way around - I decided I had to get the alum before I even pick up DE to try it. Thanks, found it now - the pharmacy just had it at the back of a shelf and once I explained what I need, they found it (a styptic pencil, to be exact).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

So a styptic pencil is great for stopping nicks but an alum block is better for general feedback. Basically post shave you wet the alum block and rub it over the shaved area. The sting you feel tells you where you need to improve your technique. You then wash it off after 30 seconds and your post-shave is done. Great tool in the beginning. It's the same stuff in the styptic pencil but comes in a roll-on or soap sized shape.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/omega-alum-stick.html

To stop bleeding from cuts and nicks I'd recommend this:

http://www.shaving.ie/products/proraso-shave-cut-healing-gel.html

However, a typical styptic pencil will work well and are available in many pharmacies:

http://www.shaving.ie/products/styptic-pencil.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

You can get Alum at any health food store. I've been using it as deodorant for years, http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/salt-of-the-earth-natural-deodorant-60071585

For weepers I use the alum, for a cut I use the Proraso gel.

Well,I did my first DE, I did get quite a few small nicks (dots really -hair roots or something) but no cuts that would keep bleeding, I tapped those with the styptic pencil, all is well. I'll ask about an alum stone when I get to a health store - thanks very much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

MichaelR wrote: »
    Well,I did my first DE, I did get quite a few small nicks (dots really -hair roots or something) but no cuts that would keep bleeding, I tapped those with the styptic pencil, all is well. I'll ask about an alum stone when I get to a health store - thanks very much!

Tiny ncks are caused by applying too much pressure. Go litely and maintain a correct angle at all times.

"Correct angle" will probably take quite a lot of time to find?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Basically you shouldn't need to apply any pressure, zero. The angle is actually very quick to learn. At 90 degrees the razor's head is flat against your skin. Start angling it down until it's not just sliding over the skin and starts cutting. Keep going until it is cutting well but not so far it starts to bite. Remember the adage of hair reduction vs. removal. Better a safe angle and two or three passes than an aggressive angle and making your neck raw.

Watch some of the shaving videos, they will help.

Not applying any pressure can work on the cheeks, where I can rely on the weight of the razor. But on the chin. the weight of the razor pulls it away from the skin, so some pressure has to be applied. And the extent of that pressure can't really be conveyed in a video.

Advertisement