Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf or Focus

• 09-02-2017 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi guys.

I'm looking for some help buying a new car. I currently drive a 04 Audi A3 2ltr I find the Audi comfortable and smooth to drive and this is what I love about it, even after 5 years of owing it and would love one again but just can't afford it.

I want diesel again, not necessarily a 2ltr. Is there much power difference between a 1.4 and 1.6 Diesel engine or does it depend on the car?

I'm not planning on upgrading for another 5 years so I need to mileage to be average enough for the age of the car. I do about 110Kms round trip to work but mostly motorway (not sure if that makes a difference)

I'm torn between the 2 options below

Ford Focus 1.6 diesel 2010/2011. I can come up in years like I wanted and get one with decent mileage for €5500. I really dislike the interiors and I feel they are very plastic looking/feeling so this really turns me off them.

Volkswagen Golf 1.9 diesel. They look to have similar interiors to the A3 (a little less maybe) but are much more 'nicer' to drive than the focus and have much more of a comfort feel to them. I can get a 2008/2009 for €6000 (Max Budget).

My head is saying Focus cuz I'm up in the years and can get lower mileage but my heart is saying the Golf because I love the interiors and the comfort of it. I spend a lot of time driving so this is important to me.
    Am I mad going down 2/3 years for a more comfortable car?

Can anyone give me some advise on this?

If there is any other makes and models that would suit what I'm looking for I'd love to hear them also?

Thanks,
    Q

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Q_ueeny wrote: »
    Hi guys.

I'm looking for some help buying a new car. I currently drive a 04 Audi A3 2ltr I find the Audi comfortable and smooth to drive and this is what I love about it, even after 5 years of owing it and would love one again but just can't afford it.

I want diesel again, not necessarily a 2ltr. Is there much power difference between a 1.4 and 1.6 Diesel engine or does it depend on the car?

I'm not planning on upgrading for another 5 years so I need to mileage to be average enough for the age of the car. I do about 110Kms round trip to work but mostly motorway (not sure if that makes a difference)

I'm torn between the 2 options below

Ford Focus 1.6 diesel 2010/2011. I can come up in years like I wanted and get one with decent mileage for €5500. I really dislike the interiors and I feel they are very plastic looking/feeling so this really turns me off them.

Volkswagen Golf 1.9 diesel. They look to have similar interiors to the A3 (a little less maybe) but are much more 'nicer' to drive than the focus and have much more of a comfort feel to them. I can get a 2008/2009 for €6000 (Max Budget).

My head is saying Focus cuz I'm up in the years and can get lower mileage but my heart is saying the Golf because I love the interiors and the comfort of it. I spend a lot of time driving so this is important to me.
    Am I mad going down 2/3 years for a more comfortable car?

Can anyone give me some advise on this?

If there is any other makes and models that would suit what I'm looking for I'd love to hear them also?

Thanks,
    Q

Driving A 1.6 when coming from a 2ltr will feel totally gutless on the road

Once the milage is reasonable on the car moving up in years beyond 2008 isn't worth thinking about unless the number on the plate is important to you. If you're holding these cars for 5 years both will be essentially at end of life when you're changing so it's not as if residuals would be a consideration for the newer car.

I personally wouldn't sacrifice comfort for the number on the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If you like the current Audi, why bother changing. Some might sAy downgrading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Reliability of the 1.6 TDCi engine in that generation of Focus is patchy and there are plenty of money pits about. Certain 1.9 TDi Golfs with the BXE engine code suffer from issues too such as the conrod breaking through the engine block killing it. Golfs are also very expensive and if your on a tight budget then you will be looking at tired old ones.

Maybe have a look at the Renault Megane III from 2009 onward. 1.5 Dci engine is proven to be reliable these days but will be noticeably down on power compared to your A3 but then again so will the Focus and Golf. Megane III has also proved to be a reliable car and doesn't deserve the reputation earned by the previous model. Interior and spec would be a step up on a similar Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Q_ueeny

Thanks for the replies. I went with a 09 Opel Astra 1.7 Design model. Picked it up today and really like it so far. Ticked all the boxes re comfort, mileage, year and price. Very happy.

Advertisement