Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same fuse box for second house?

Options
  • 09-02-2017 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi I renovated a building about 100 feet from the main house, and wonder will it be necessary to have a separate electrical system for the new building, or can a line be brought from the old fuse box and that box be expanded or upgraded.
    Apologies if it sounds a bit cockeyed-it would obviously be done professionally-I'm just thinking about perpetual standing charges on 2 systems. The new building will be used as a holiday rental. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would install a sub-distribution board in the new building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Will there be an electric shower and/or oven in the second house? If so then you will have problems, presuming that you have an electric shower in the main house.

It should really be a separate connection if it is going to be a full working house, e.g. oven, shower, hob.

I mean it is rare in one house that 4 hob rings, the oven and the shower will be in use at the same time, but across two houses it is quite likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Hi I renovated a building about 100 feet from the main house, and wonder will it be necessary to have a separate electrical system for the new building, or can a line be brought from the old fuse box and that box be expanded or upgraded.
    Apologies if it sounds a bit cockeyed-it would obviously be done professionally-I'm just thinking about perpetual standing charges on 2 systems. The new building will be used as a holiday rental. Thanks
    I think practically that, given the length of cable involved and assuming a standard requirement for electricity in the proposed building I'd say that, in order to provide supply from your existing incoming you would need to contact ESB Networks to check if your incoming supply can take the equivalent load of two houses. If so then a big cable may work
    Others, more knowledgeable than I will suggest other possibilities

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

adrian92 wrote: »
    I think practically that, given the length of cable involved and assuming a standard requirement for electricity in the proposed building I'd say that, in order to provide supply from your existing incoming you would need to contact ESB Networks to check if your incoming supply can take the equivalent load of two houses. If so then a big cable may work
    Others, more knowledgeable than I will suggest other possibilities

Generally speaking the largest electrical loads in domestic installations are instantenious showers and cookers. It is possible to reduce the load by using a gas cooker and heating water using gas or oil. Besides it is simple enough to design a "holiday rental" that presents a only a small electrical load. It would be far more cost effective in the long term.

There are many regulations and design aspects to consider, capacity of supply is just one of them. It would be best to get a professional on board before proceeding any further.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

As long as the 'parent' house is fused appropriately then there should be no problem.

Stick a smart meter on the supply to the second house so you can keep an eye on usage. Be aware that afaik it's illegal to sell electricity without jumping through massive hoops and licensing so be careful of that - don't bill it to the holiday folk directly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement