Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Router

Options
  • 09-02-2017 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    The kids are getting older and starting to use the internet a bit more, so I'm looking to put controls on it. I don't see the point in parental blockers on the laptop alone, if the phones\tablet still have unlimited access. I'm looking for a wifi router where I can put restrictions on every device connected to it. I want to:
    (1) block certain sites (different sites for different connected devices?)
    (2) Have general filters against adult content
    (3) Kill access for certain devices.

Whilst we do want content blocked for the kids, if myself or my wife come across anything thats blocked for some reason (stop the sniggering :D ), we don't want to have to go all the way into the settings to disable the content block, then try again, then have to reenable again afterwards. Maybe a password entry option on the block page to let you through?

Can anyone recommend a product that would do this for me?

thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I heard somebody on with D&D on TodayFM the other day (SaferInternetDay) raving about how his kids hated him for having this little puppy installed.

While this would be fine for your home Internet connection, if they use their phone's data connection, you can't police that unless you load up blocking software on them and the older kids will circumvent that in a google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

I heard somebody on with D&D on TodayFM the other day (SaferInternetDay) raving about how his kids hated him for having this little puppy installed.

While this would be fine for your home Internet connection, if they use their phone's data connection, you can't police that unless you load up blocking software on them and the older kids will circumvent that in a google search.

Thanks a million, should have said, I heard the ad on the radio about that device alright. I've 2 issues though, (1) the price, €100!, I'd imagine I can get something for at least half that price. (2) I was onto their support dept and there doesn't seem to be a quick way to bypass a blocked site. Worried it'll be a pain in the arse for the grownups in the house, but then again there probably isn't really anything we'd be wanting to look up that'd be kid unfriendly

I'm going to be hard-ass when it comes to my kids and tech - will be a long time before they get their own phones, nevermind one with a data connection on it. They can get a data connection when they're old enough to earn & pay for it themselves :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

kelbal wrote: »
    (2) I was onto their support dept and there doesn't seem to be a quick way to bypass a blocked site. Worried it'll be a pain in the arse for the grownups in the house, but then again there probably isn't really anything we'd be wanting to look up that'd be kid unfriendly

You would still use your own router, the kids would connect to the Ikdyz one, so no issue with needing to bypass sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Have you looked into OpenDNS on the router?

I think your kids can get around it if they know how to change their own DNS settings on their device.

eamonnq wrote: »
    You would still use your own router, the kids would connect to the Ikdyz one, so no issue with needing to bypass sites.

There's a shared family laptop, so not totally ideal, but I get your point, thanks

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    Have you looked into OpenDNS on the router?

I think your kids can get around it if they know how to change their own DNS settings on their device.

Will look into this. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

kelbal wrote: »
    I've 2 issues though, (1) the price, €100!, I'd imagine I can get something for at least half that price.

You really need to reevaluate then.

The regular, better than ISP junk but not amazing, units we recommend run from €90 to €140. €100 isnt really that expensive when you consider its a niche product with some kind of lifetime service behind it (somebody has to maintain a blacklist).

Remember your kids will have friends. Many parents dont care enough to make the effort you will. They'll see stuff no matter what you do, probably much younger than you'd guess.

OpenDNS is an ok solution until they get a little bit savy. Then you block external DNS, then they use a VPN, then you need SPI which costs as much as their first car.....

Advertisement