Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement Keys For Rented Property

Options
  • 09-02-2017 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I was wondering what is covered in the rental payment I make in relation to the apartment I rent.
    I recently lost my keys and I contacted the landlord who by the way is one of these large faceless property companies to see if I could get replacement set - i'm willing to cut a new key from my other set however when I asked to get replacement electonic tag which opens the main door they told me to ring some external company and buy a new one for about €60.
    I understand that I lost the key but I thought that this would be covered under the extortionately high rent which increased recently in the same way as if a radiator broke they would fix it as they build these type of scenarios into the price of managing tenants.
    Have I a leg to stand on here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I was wondering what is covered in the rental payment I make in relation to the apartment I rent.
    I recently lost my keys and I contacted the landlord who by the way is one of these large faceless property companies to see if I could get replacement set - i'm willing to cut a new key from my other set however when I asked to get replacement electonic tag which opens the main door they told me to ring some external company and buy a new one for about €60.
    I understand that I lost the key but I thought that this would be covered under the extortionately high rent which increased recently in the same way as if a radiator broke they would fix it as they build these type of scenarios into the price of managing tenants.

If the lock had broken the landlord would be responsible. But you lost the keys through your own fault so in this case you pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

You are liable. The only one at fault here is you. It is not wear and tear

I would ask for a receipt for that fob though ie from the locksmith. I know locksmiths in Dublin City who only charge about €13 to get the high tech keys cut. An electronic fob is not that expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you broke the radiator through your carelessness, or lost it, then you would have to replace it.

But if it broke through wear and tear, then the landlord would have to replace it.

Ditto keys.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Take responsibility for your actions, those tag things are expensive so you should replace them yourself. Same with anything that you break in the property through carelessness.

• Advertisement

In fairness you are lucky they are not asking you to pay to replace the locks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Why would you be willing to get a key cut at your own expense but not think you should pay for the fob? Because one is cheap and the other one is more expensive? You lost them both at the same time.

You're legless I'm afraid, not a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭conormc1984

<mod snip> . Im currently looking into getting a replacement fob myself, please let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

As we know everyone lives in Dublin, so have you tried that place on the Quays near the Ha'penny bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Sure blame that landlord for losing your wallet also. This is the tenant culture in ireland blame the landlord for everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Sorry for annoying so many people - I was just checking what my rights are seems logical now alright.
    I'll think before I post next time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement