Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

• 09-02-2017 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Old thread here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057637277

Added 19/02/17:
    Beasty wrote: »
    I've been in discussion with mansize and he has agreed to adapt his posting style in a way that should hopefully minimise future problems. Hence he is now free to post again in this thread.

However in looking through this thread I am seeing many examples of posters taking things into their own hands and/or attacking the poster rather than the post. Indeed I think a number of regulars around here are very fortunate that further action has not been taken against them. I will be keeping my eye on this thread for a while, as well as reported posts, and will not hesitate in taking action if I see further evidence of inappropriate posting. Bottom line - if you have any issues with posts or posters report it and leave the mods to deal with it as they see fit

Please note this warning is equally relevant in other parts of the forum, including match threads.

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

Thanks

Mod Warning 09/05/17: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103453948&postcount=4599

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

#WENGER OUT

Might aswell set the tone for the new thread.

GavRedKing starting a thread never ends well for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Isn't there an Arsenal mod that could start this thread :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Basil3 wrote: »

Yep. That's the problem.

:D

Gav is starting all new super threads for ultimate mockers, hell he even had ago a poor Villa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm not that bad.

The Chelsea thread isnt doing too bad, the one before that though seen Jose sacked. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Quazzie wrote: »
    #WENGER OUT

I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

#InArseneWeTrust

H8rs gonna h8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

To add more gloom. I fear for us against a tough Hull. We looking at top 4 now, so that's what we are playing for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Michael Ballack claims Özil would be better off playing for Bayern If he wants to win trophies.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4204546/Arsenal-star-Ozil-win-titles-Bayern-Ballack.html#ixzz4Y7UrWPVq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Michael Ballack claims Özil would be better off playing for Bayern If he wants to win trophies.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4204546/Arsenal-star-Ozil-win-titles-Bayern-Ballack.html#ixzz4Y7UrWPVq

I'd imagine even Wenger could guide Bayern to a league title. Possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    To add more gloom. I fear for us against a tough Hull. We looking at top 4 now, so that's what we are playing for.

Hull away are absolutely brutal.

They got a point at Old Trafford, granted, but that was down to a lot of luck and the GK playing well.

That doesnt hold out usually for 90mins, not every game. Arsenal should easily sweep aside Hull but Silva does have them playing better football and theyre usually tricky to break down but away, they shouldnt be getting many points against the top 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I'd imagine even Wenger could guide Bayern to a league title. Possibly.

He would piss that league with Bayern. He is still a great manager its just he doesnt have the calibre of player he once had at his disposal when he was winning titles here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Gringo180 wrote: »
    He would piss that league with Bayern. He is still a great manager its just he doesnt have the calibre of player he once had at his disposal when he was winning titles here.

I think he would do a good job at most clubs. Things have just got a bit stale at Arsenal and both he and the club need a change.

greendom wrote: »
    I think he would do a good job at most clubs. Things have just got a bit stale at Arsenal and both he and the club need a change.

How many years has he kept faith with some average players. His biggest downfall imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

How many years has he kept faith with some average players. His biggest downfall imo.

He's the opposite of Mourinho, as we saw with Cuadrado, Schurlle and De Bruyne. There can be advantages to that.

I think there's a happy medium, but neither Mourinho nor Wenger have the best balance of ruthlessness vs faith in players imo.

I disagree. His influence on a game after the whistle starts it is nearly nothing. He needs outstanding players because he doesn't give the players specific roles or instructions and instead lets them do their own thing. He does nothing to make a player a better player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I'm sure this will stir up a few posters but I just watched Fabregas's interview after Ramsey's leg break on Arseblog and ended up watching a few more highlight clips. What a player.

I wonder was there any possibility of getting himself and Sanchez in that 2014 window. I get it would have been crowded with Ozil, Santi, Ramsey and him all vying for the same positions but he made it clear at the time he wanted to come back. He's been excellent for Chelsea IMO as well.

These dark days have me feeling very retrospective about Arsenal :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

domrush wrote: »
    I'm sure this will stir up a few posters but I just watched Fabregas's interview after Ramsey's leg break on Arseblog and ended up watching a few more highlight clips. What a player.

I wonder was there any possibility of getting himself and Sanchez in that 2014 window. I get it would have been crowded with Ozil, Santi, Ramsey and him all vying for the same positions but he made it clear at the time he wanted to come back. He's been excellent for Chelsea IMO as well.

Fabregas has been far from excellent for Chelsea, he's played too many games from a young age and is on the decline now, you only have to look at him since he left Arsenal looks like he's aged 15 years.
    Plus the way he left don't think many would have welcomed him back

His first season he was excellent. Whole team was poison last season. System doesn't suit him this season but he's played well every time I've watched him play.

My point was that in the past three years we've seen our seasons fall to pieces as a result of either Ozil or Ramsey falling out of form or an injury to Santi. Easy to say in hindsight at the same time.

Edit: Just checked. 18 assists in the league alone in his first season back.

• Advertisement

His first season he was excellent. Whole team was poison last season. System doesn't suit him this season but he's played well every time I've watched him play.

My point was that in the past three years we've seen our seasons fall to pieces as a result of either Ozil or Ramsey falling out of form or an injury to Santi. Easy to say in hindsight at the same time.

Edit: Just checked. 18 assists in the league alone in his first season back.

You can be pretty sure all those assists were in the first half of the season. Cesc doesn't do full seasons. Wouldn't be much use to use in the run-in.

I'd still take him back in a heartbeat.

You can be pretty sure all those assists were in the first half of the season. Cesc doesn't do full seasons. Wouldn't be much use to use in the run-in.
    Neither does Ozil. In fact this season he isn't even giving us a half season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Fabregas was a great player when he was with us, but the way he left soured that for me. He's just another Nasri, Adebayor, Gallas etc to me now.
    As has been said already his form dips towards the end of seasons.

Wenger built his team around Fabregas and lets also remember them Arsenal teams bottled the league a few times and he was as big a culprit as any of the squad for bottling it imo. So Fabregas back, no thanks.

Fabregas was a great player when he was with us, but the way he left soured that for me. He's just another Nasri, Adebayor, Gallas etc to me now.
    As has been said already his form dips towards the end of seasons.

Wenger built his team around Fabregas and lets also remember them Arsenal teams bottled the league a few times and he was as big a culprit as any of the squad for bottling it imo. So Fabregas back, no thanks.
    He was 24 when he left. He was made club captain when he was 21. You're really blaming us falling apart as a team on a 21 year old? What explains the fact we've falling apart so much since. We didn't fall about because of Fabregas, we fell apart, and still do because Wenger doesn't lead the team.

He was 24 when he left. He was made club captain when he was 21. You're really blaming us falling apart as a team on a 21 year old? What explains the fact we've falling apart so much since. We didn't fall about because of Fabregas, we fell apart, and still do because Wenger doesn't lead the team.

I agree and disagree with you. At 21 Fabregas had been playing top flight football for four years I think. I agree that Wenger is a big problem, but obviously players have to be held accountable for them buckling under pressure of a title race.

I'm not solely blaming Fabregas, I'm the same with most of the squad back then. I'm just bitter that Wenger built his team around Fabregas once Vieira left, despite him only being 18/19, only to flirt for seasons with Barcelona and make Arsenal look like a small time outfit at times. He then eventually went on strike and got his "childhood" dream.

As the team was built around Fabregas this put back the club a few years imo,as there was no focal point to the team. It took us a couple more years to even look like possibly challenging, when we brought in Ozil.

That Fabregas era team played great football and should have won at least two league titles, especially in 07-08. But they bottled it and to answer your question he wasn't the only culprit but he was a part of them bottle job teams. I just don't have the fondness for Fabregas that a lot of Arsenal fans have, so maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but that's what I think.

If Eduardo hadn't broke his leg it could have been so so different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,663 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »

Brilliant.
    I love this new ploy to tempt him to go. Great plan. Hope it works lads. :pac:

If Eduardo hadn't broke his leg it could have been so so different

Yeah that was the turning point in that season. If we had held on against Birmingham that time it would have been an 8 point lead I think. It ended up being a 6 point lead instead, which was still a substantial lead. Team fell apart after that.

• Advertisement

It's a bit of a misleading headline tbh, when you read the quotes it doesn't sound that bad. He's going to be scrutinised no matter what he says, but I suppose a lot of it is his and his players fault.

Just noticed in that article that our match on Saturday is on Sky Sports Mix. Doesn't that mean it's free if you have Virgin media or Sky, even if you don't have the sports package?

I still pay for all the sports like a mug, but might be useful for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's a bit of a misleading headline tbh, when you read the quotes it doesn't sound that bad. He's going to be scrutinised no matter what he says, but I suppose a lot of it is his and his players fault.

I think he's a bit concerned that if we don't get off to a good start or even go a goal or 2 behind that the atmosphere will turn poisonous. He's trying to convince the crowd to keep supporting but I think that's not likely. Shame as a positive crowd can really help and a negative one helps the opposition.

I'd still take him back in a heartbeat.

No question whatsover. I'd drive over to Stamford Bridge myself from here to bring him back to us.

• Advertisement

It's a bit of a misleading headline tbh, when you read the quotes it doesn't sound that bad. He's going to be bitched about no matter what he says

Just fixed that there.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    No question whatsover. I'd drive over to Stamford Bridge myself from here to bring him back to us.

+2 (I'd collect him by tube)

Christ I'd love a match or live sport

Is there a wee bit of dissension in the ranks? Did Koscielney question Wenger's team selection?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10759291/laurent-koscielny-questions-arsene-wengers-team-selection-at-chelsea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Thoughts on Saturday?

I think we're going to do the most Arsenal thing imaginable when we find ourselves in this situation, I've supported this team long enough to know what happens next. Usually what we get followed by a bad run is some team usually gets a spanking by us followed by a smug looking Wenger interview where he criticises fans and media and tells us all is well, we may then continue a good run eating into Chelsea's massive lead only to throw it away against an already relegated team at the end of April.

So yeah, we're gonna win 4-0 on Saturday. And the worst thing about it is that I couldn't care less. Let's call it a Walcott hat trick and a Giroud 90' goal while I'm being all mystic.

Thoughts on Saturday?

I think we're going to do the most Arsenal thing imaginable when we find ourselves in this situation, I've supported this team to know what happens next. Usually what we get followed by a bad run is some team usually gets a spanking by us followed by a smug looking Wenger interview where he criticises fans and media and tells us all is well, we may then continue a good run eating into Chelsea's massive lead only to throw it away against an already relegated team at the end of April.

So yeah, we're gonna win 4-0 on Saturday. And the worst thing about it is that I couldn't care less. Let's call it a Walcott hat trick and a Giroud 90' goal while I'm being all mystic.

Yep, we'll win easily because there's really nothing at stake. We'll be the best team in the league again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Is there a wee bit of dissension in the ranks? Did Koscielney question Wenger's team selection?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10759291/laurent-koscielny-questions-arsene-wengers-team-selection-at-chelsea

Looks way out of context tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Yep, we'll win easily because there's really nothing at stake. We'll be the best team in the league again.

It's almost like we've seen it before. I'd be absolutely astonished if we didn't win on Saturday. I have a large sum of money on it.

Looks way out of context tbh

Looks like he was calling on the players to step up to me

Cant believe anybody would have Fabregas back :pac: Short memories some have on here, besides hes well past his best.

Cant believe anybody would have Fabregas back :pac: Short memories some have on here, besides hes well past his best.

Still better than the current crew we have

Yeah that was the turning point in that season. If we had held on against Birmingham that time it would have been an 8 point lead I think. It ended up being a 6 point lead instead, which was still a substantial lead. Team fell apart after that.

Until i read Ray Parlours book i would have taken the simplistic view that we took a 360 after that game alone but the fact is that Romford Pele returned to train with Arsenal around that time and said that Gallas and Fabregas werent speaking to each other. (The captain and arguably our best player)

Dont forget Adebayor headbutted Bendtner on the field a few weeks prior to that game. While there was talent there was huge egos.

We were weak willed little wusses then and we still are. Wenger has been happy to continuously delude himself and pick these utterly poisonous players and extend their contracts.

I dont see any difference between what we had and we have now. All failures who blamed everyone else when they individually didnt achieve their personal targets. it was never about Arsenal but about them. Very few of them would have given credit to the others had we won everything. That all said, football is full of frauds today. However, a manager must be strong and call them out instead of letting it fester.

mansize wrote: »
    Still better than the current crew we have

I dont think he is. Elneny Xhaka and Ozil ahead of them is our best midfield imo and Fabregas wouldnt get ahead of any of them in the team imo. Besides he hasnt got many years left in him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement