Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Really proud of that performance yesterday. Wasn't a player who let us down on the day, even if Ospina should have saved the goal. Great atmosphere in the pub yesterday too, all in all a great day to be a gooner. Interesting few days and summer ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

What ever happens with Wenger over the next few days one thing is more important and that is getting Sanchez signed pay the man what ever he wants he is everything a winning team needs

So lets just suppose we keep onto all of our current squad, and we're only looking at strengthening, who would we need to bring in?

Obviously the elusive World Class Striker is a given. Apart from that, which positions need to be addressed, assuming we stick with our current formation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'd buy a left back Monreal is fantastic at CB and Gibbs is not up to it , Also I'd let Jack go out on loan or sell altogether, Cazorla looks finished aswell so I'd defo be looking to bring in a creative midfielder someone like Isco.

Obviously would love a striker aswell , If ospina goes bring back Szcehney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I'd buy a left back Monreal is fantastic at CB and Gibbs is not up to it , Also I'd let Jack go out on loan or sell altogether, Cazorla looks finished aswell so I'd defo be looking to bring in a creative midfielder someone like Isco.

Agree with all this. Think we have a LB signed already too.

A lot depends on the formation we're going with next season, could use a RWer even though I was happy with Walcott's performance there this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Wojciech Szczęsny
    Mathieu Debuchy
    Kieran Gibbs
    Per Mertesacker
    Gabriel
    Laurent Koscielny
    Alexis Sanchez
    Aaron Ramsey
    Lucas P?rez
    Jack Wilshere
    Mesut Ozil
    Olivier Giroud
    David Ospina
    Theo Walcott
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Rob Holding
    Alex Iwobi
    Nacho Monreal
    Santi Cazorla
    Shkodran Mustafi
    Calum Chambers
    Yaya Sanogo
    Danny Welbeck
    Hector Bellerin
    Carl Jenkinson
    Emiliano Martinez
    Joel Campbell
    Granit Xhaka
    Jeff Reine-Adelaide
    Chuba Akpom
    Petr Čech
    Francis Coquelin
    Mohamed Elneny
    Takuma Asano

Bring in:

Pickford
    Mbappe
    Kolasinac
    Creative midfielder X2
    Centre back X2
    Messi
    Neymar
    Suarez

newbie2 wrote: »
    Wojciech Szczęsny
    Mathieu Debuchy
    Kieran Gibbs
    Per Mertesacker
    Gabriel
    Laurent Koscielny
    Alexis Sanchez
    Aaron Ramsey
    Lucas P?rez
    Jack Wilshere
    Mesut Ozil
    Olivier Giroud
    David Ospina
    Theo Walcott
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Rob Holding
    Alex Iwobi
    Nacho Monreal
    Santi Cazorla
    Shkodran Mustafi
    Calum Chambers
    Yaya Sanogo
    Danny Welbeck
    Hector Bellerin
    Carl Jenkinson
    Emiliano Martinez
    Joel Campbell
    Granit Xhaka
    Jeff Reine-Adelaide
    Chuba Akpom
    Petr Čech
    Francis Coquelin
    Mohamed Elneny
    Takuma Asano

Bring in:

Pickford
    Mbappe
    Kolasinac
    Creative midfielder X2
    Centre back X2
    Messi
    Neymar
    Suarez

Lol. More chance of Wenger quitting.

Actually, what am I talking about? That is more likely than Wenger quitting.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Ive a child thats nearly 7 and today was the first time in about 10 weeks he didnt spend the weekend with me...he rang at 5 and asked are we playing for the trophy today..reluctantly i said yes but told his mother to keep an eye on the result....for weeks the stupid little fcuker said we would win the cup...full of optimism,his father full of pessimism(trying to let him down gently)....i got the greatest phonecall a man could ever wish for at 8 this evening when the little lad rang off his mothers phone and proudly told me I was wrong and said "daddy I told you we'd win...I told you Arsenal was the best team ever"...........i cant tell him we are fcuked if we carry on like the way we are(thats just evil)...but i wish i had the optimism and innocence of seeing my team beat Chelsea like they did without the realisation of the sh1t weve seen all season.
    My lad saw only 1 thing....Mert lifting the trophy...In his eyes we are winners....and right now,that will do for me....

Till Septmeber lads,and then ill crush the poor fellas dreams by cursing this team if we are in the same situation as the last few years.

So long as he dont grow up to be like Ty or Chris or a former friend of ours on this thread then your ok ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

w3k732dxs70z.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Wish my woman would look at me like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

w3k732dxs70z.png

You can feel the man-love from Sanchez in the pic!

Lol

£45m for a goalie. Yikes.

Remember a few years back, we bid less than that for Suarez? :D

Basil3 wrote: »
    ?45m for a goalie. Yikes.

Remember a few years back, we bid less than that for Suarez? :D

I try not to..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

From Wengers comments it really does sound as though Liam's comments on the Board are true. He genuinely doesn't know if he's being renewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

From Wengers comments it really does sound as though Liam's comments on the Board are true. He genuinely doesn't know if he's being renewed.

You can tell he wants to stay, but definitely think he hasn't got the support like he had in the past. As great as the achievement in the FA Cup is, we can't let it cover over the cracks that we aren't competing in the PL as well in the CL. I would love to see him walk off into the sunset come mid week, but his stubbornness and ego sadly will get the better of him. Up to the board to put him out of his misery, but think he will get the 2 year contract cause of Chelsea game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

will Szcehney want to come back to been number 2 though that's the question. I'm sure he's living a pretty good life in Rome. We have the left back with that Serbian lad, so that's that ticked off.

I still think we need a leader at the back, A top class striker is a must and a creative midfielder. Definitely think this summer, if Wenger goes or not, this team does need some spending done on it. It would give a massive boost to the fans going into the new season as well.

Most important of all we need to sign Alexis, Ozil and Ox up for long term deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I've never wanted a player to stay more than I do Alexis Sanchez, but i fear he's off. If that huge offer that was rumoured was true and he turns it down then its clear its not about the money & he simply wants out for whatever reason & I'll be gutted, I was always of the opinion that no player is bigger than the club, and thats still true, but now & again we're treated to something really special & I fear once he leaves it'll be a while before we see someone as special as him again in an Arsenal shirt, the guy is a pure winner & they dont come around too often.
    On the flip side, if he stays, that'd be a signal that would definitely make up for missing out on the CL, either way I hope its cleared up quickly & we dont end up in another RvP situation... I couldnt hack seeing him play for another PL team.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I have the same opinion on Sanchez. Yes he loses the ball a bit but I just love his determination to win, its a trait thats so rare these days. His goalscoring and assist rate is also very impressive. I too fear he is gone though.

• Advertisement

Beginning to wonder if this week might bring a surprise announcement that Wenger is going after all. Thinking on the conversation last week, Brady had no real confidence either way and by his own admission there's a real split jury at board level.

The fact that it's still in the balance suggests that its far from clear cut and I wonder if this is goodbye and thanks for all the fish, FA cup win maybe makes it easier for the board to send him on his way with thanks for all he's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'd say his hand has been strengthened by the result and the performance on Saturday. I imagine an extension will be announced with changes to the management and training structure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

By all accounts they don't have a replacement lined up. As unhappy as nearly everyone is with Wenger's performance over the past decade, deciding to sack him without having a clear plan for next season would be fairly stupid. You can blame the board for not being prepared there.

By all accounts they don't have a replacement lined up. As unhappy as nearly everyone is with Wenger's performance over the past decade, deciding to sack him without having a clear plan for next season would be fairly stupid. You can blame the board for not being prepared there.

Nothing would surprise me with the current board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I wonder has the thought even crossed his mind to go? The fa cup is a perfect send off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Wenger obviously knows that too, he should surprise them all and resign and leave them looking stupid :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

As much as I want Wenger to go, even more so now with his head held high. But as was said It would be farcical to let him go and have no replacement. Jesus wept if Sam Allardice or some mercenary came in for a season!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Seen this and thought of ye, looks like it's up to himself..

https://twitter.com/markogden_/status/869133076559003648

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

is he due compensation if he is told to go? or is his contract over?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fox Hound wrote: »

Contract is up this summer i think

Contract is finished this June, I think. So no compo. Probably get a golden handshake all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,424 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It looks like the rumours were right regarding the "Director of Football".
    some of the Board apparently want one and Wenger does not.
    I usually don't put much store on what newspapers say but friends of mine, one with connections to the club, also have this story. It seems to be the crux of the dispute.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4550596/Arsene-Wenger-battle-curbs-power-Arsenal.html

Contract is up this year so he just walks away. He's picked up 8.9m a season for the last three seasons since 2014

Im inclined to agree with this to be honest. Kroenke and the board have been abysmal. Not an ounce of leadership amongst any of them. Chips Keswick should take a good long hard look at himself too. I was no fan of Hill-Wood but i sense that there might have been a bit more decisiveness and assertiveness applied if he was still there at the very least. Chips has been as bad as Stan if not worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Im inclined to agree with this to be honest. Kroenke and the board have been abysmal. Not an ounce of leadership amongst any of them. Chips Keswick should take a good long hard look at himself too. I was no fan of Hill-Wood but i sense that there might have been a bit more decisiveness and assertiveness applied if he was still there at the very least. Chips has been as bad as Stan if not worse

Why? Sir Chips is a figure head, nothing else. If anyone should take a look at themselves its Gazidis. Nowhere to be seen for the last 6 months. Completely spineless.

wawaman wrote: »
    Why? Sir Chips is a figure head, nothing else. If anyone should take a look at themselves its Gazidis. Nowhere to be seen for the last 6 months. Completely spineless.

Chips is chairman of the board of directors in fairness. Thats a leadership role. I agree with you on Gazidis though. Such indecisiveness from a chief executive of a multi billion pound Football club.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

AW stubbornness has been the source of most irritation by most - especially in the last few years. But I have gotten a sense that he wants to extend his contract and completely shake things up in terms of strategy/formation/transfers etc.

His comments after the final rung true with me in terms of his intentions. However, no CL next year may make it hard to attract/keep players but this would be true for any new manager also.

IF he does stay I'd wager that we see a new side to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hyzepher wrote: »
    AW stubbornness has been the source of most irritation by most - especially in the last few years. But I have gotten a sense that he wants to extend his contract and completely shake things up in terms of strategy/formation/transfers etc.

His comments after the final rung true with me in terms of his intentions. However, no CL next year may make it hard to attract/keep players but this would be true for any new manager also.

IF he does stay I'd wager that we see a new side to him.

Your post is spot on though I slightly disagree with players not wanting to join due to Champions League. Bayern said they just can't compete with Arsenal in terms of wages and I fear money talks. We can still offer players the opportunity of European football albeit at a lower level.

I've completely forgotten about the fact we will probably be the team to beat in the Europa League. High potential of a Europa League winners medal.

Adding to your post, I think Wenger needs help and he'll be made aware of this in the Board Meeting. I think all the Board want him to stay but some want to provide him with more support to aide him.

Personally I can't fault Wenger since we switched formation. Team looks less exposed and still scoring. Our attack is so strong. The amount of times we have overloaded teams when we score is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think one of two things needs to happen

A. He leaves
    B. He stays but in his terms and no DOF

He can't stay and work under a model he doesn't agree with or support so forcing something to work that neither side fully agree with is pointless and allows for blame games

Just want this all over already sick of talkin about it. My preference is A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I doubt Wenger will stay if it's on terms he's not happy with. The board have no coherent plan to replace him and he knows this, between that and the FA cup win he's in a strong enough position with them now.

The only way I can see us hanging on to Alexis is if Wenger stays, or we bring in a top manager that can lead us to the top. There doesn't seem any plan for the latter, so I guess Wenger it is.

• Advertisement

I doubt Wenger will stay if it's on terms he's not happy with. The board have no coherent plan to replace him and he knows this, between that and the FA cup win he's in a strong enough position with them now.

I think he will be prepared for some compromise based on the fact that it will be his last contract and the club will need to be in a position for a smooth handover. That's why the DOF position will be so key.

greendom wrote: »
    I think he will be prepared for some compromise based on the fact that it will be his last contract and the club will need to be in a position for a smooth handover. That's why the DOF position will be so key.

A leopard can't change its spots. More of the same expected.

A leopard can't change its spots. More of the same expected.

If he chooses to be completely inflexible I think he will leave. The board will demand a degree of change. The question is how much?

greendom wrote: »
    If he chooses to be completely inflexible I think he will leave. The board will demand a degree of change. The question is how much?

I'd love to know the full story of what's going on.
    There's obviously a serious situation with the press only getting snippets of information.
    Roll on Thursday.

Huddersfield are up. Wonder will Arsenal and Huddersfield contest the Herbert Chapman cup again like they did pre-season in 2008?

Might be another chance to win and retain a trophy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

With Huddersfield now in the top division, that's another club there that's won more titles than Spurs

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Sounds like it's all decided now, just have to wait for the announcement either way.

https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/869298129547522048

I always suspected that Wenger and Kronke were buddies.
    They always seemed to get on well together.

Just a matter of one or two years I suppose. One year, get a clear succession plan in place, use Wenger's influence to resign the two lads. Best that could be hoped for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

This might not go down well but I'm actually reasonably content to give him one more shot. All or nothing this time, his legacy is at stake. Adapt or die effectively.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement