Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I can't believe how some people are so inclined to give him another go....It feels like Groundhog day all over again .

Don't get me wrong that game the other day was amazing and it felt great to win another FA Cup but .....It doesn't hide the fact that we have once again failed to challenge for the major trophies actually not even close we didn't even qualify for the Champions League

If Wenger stays it sends out a clear message to possible players coming in and the ones that are already here that mediocrity will be rewarded hence why we get rubbish performances on the pitch from time to time and why any truely top drawer players we've had leave or have left us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

domrush wrote: »
    Just a matter of one or two years I suppose. One year, get a clear succession plan in place, use Wenger's influence to resign the two lads. Best that could be hoped for.

We've been hearing about this succession plan for years, ever since he signed on after the Hull final. So Sorry if I take that with a pinch of salt. Wenger won't leave until he dies on the job.

Why would any top player come to a club where been second best is rewarded. We're going to see the same B.S we've been seen for years with this stubborn old man, not making the signings need, haggling over prices, bottling it mid season, and doing the same old comeback when we're out of the title race.

i'm already resigned two more years without a PL title. Such a shame he wouldn't have left after that Chelsea final. Cause if he fails next season it will get quite nasty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think a Leopard can change his spots and AW has showed (albeit quite late) that he is open to changing tactics by going to three at the back. In fact if he persists with this formation I think it may start to reap rewards for us as the players get more and more familiar and we buy in a few new names that fit the formation better.

Scoring goals really hasn't been too much of an issue for us, it's our defense that needs solidifying - especially against some of the weaker, more set-piece type of teams. Our goals conceded away from home is shocking.

The FA Cup final is a perfect example of how three at the back suits us better - especially with our current lack of quality options at CB. Better cover, more confidence, better performance.

We have the players going forward to score goals. Going back to the traditions of the Graham era may get us close to a PL title. Of course a big name striker wouldn't hurt ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Big day today with the board meeting, here's hoping something like this is part of the catering order today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭DvB

If AW staying means Sanchez signs a long term deal & as discussed above we can use the 3-4-3 going forward & bring in players to reinforce that system it could be the silver lining... even moreso if a proper handover & replacement for AW can be identified & sounded out so theres as little drama as possible when he finally departs in 12/24 months.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I understand the frustration lads completely, I would rather he had left by now as well. But its too late for this season, there would be absolute chaos if he left now, no successor identified, transfer window already open, two best players contracts about to run out. We would end up undoubtedly experiencing what Utd went through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

domrush wrote: »
    I understand the frustration lads completely, I would rather he had left by now as well. But its too late for this season, there would be absolute chaos if he left now, no successor identified, transfer window already open, two best players contracts about to run out. We would end up undoubtedly experiencing what Utd went through.
    We've already gotten a head start on that by failing to qualify for the UCL. We are already in decline with Wenger here.

If he's actually gotten two years I give up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I'd be shocked with anything other than a new deal for Wenger.

With Sanchez the best we can hope for is a new 2 year deal with a massive wage increase with the agreement to let him go next summer if that's what he wants, like Suarez at Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

One year would certainly be the lesser of two evils, and then take the opportunity to put the wheels in motion for his successor.

Two years would be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Who else is out there that's better than Wenger and willing to take over? I can't think of anyone and imo it's too late for us to start looking, that should have been sorted around January.

I would be fine with him staying for another 2 years as long as he treats them as his final years and just goes all out to win, sticks to three at the back, keeps Sanchez & Ozil and is ruthless with transfers (get Gibbs, Debuchy, Walcott, Jenks and Wilshere Out) and bring in someone like Aubameyang in and a highly rated CB as a successor to Kos for when he does eventually decline.

I'd Also like to see them sort out the players contacts asap so there's no long drawn out saga of is he signing a new deal or going BS.

DanC90 wrote: »
    Who else is out there that's better than Wenger and willing to take over? I can't think of anyone and imo it's too late for us to start looking, that should have been sorted around January.

I would be fine with him staying for another 2 years as long as he treats them as his final years and just goes all out to win, sticks to three at the back, keeps Sanchez & Ozil and is ruthless with transfers (get Gibbs, Debuchy, Walcott, Jenks and Wilshere Out) and bring in someone like Aubameyang in and a highly rated CB as a successor to Kos for when he does eventually decline.

I'd Also like to see them sort out the players contacts asap so there's no long drawn out saga of is he signing a new deal or going BS.

I'll never understand the desire to get rid of Theo Walcott on this forum after the season he's just had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Guaranteed to be a 2 year contract with no DOF.

FA cup was memorable and it was a perfect opportunity for him to leave in glory.

Unfortunately I'd wager we'll be discussing the same shortcomings this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Tuchels leaving Dortmund, didn't get on with the chairman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

omega man wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'd wager we'll be discussing the same shortcomings this time next year.

Discussing the same failings whilst also saying "who would you replace him with" and "we may as well give him one last season to turn things around. But this is his last chance to get things right, and I mean it this time... maybe"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Tuchel leaving is there actually a chance to go to Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Discussing the same failings whilst also saying "who would you replace him with" and "we may as well give him one last season to turn things around. But this is his last chance to get things right, and I mean it this time... maybe"

the board really need to get a hold of the club. They are completely guilty of letting it slide and of showing zero leadership. No planning for the future. No succession management. This has to change. Whether it will or not is another matter. But perhaps this season has been a bit of a wake up call to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

No surprise. The board are powerless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

And the good ship Arsenal drifts aimlessly forward for the next 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The fans are being sold a pup yet again. Nothing changes at Arsenal. All this talk of change is just smoke and mirrors.

Drifts Sideways

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Onto hoping now that it will be announced that this is his final 2 years, he is going to work with a DoF and that we are going all out to keep Sanchez and Ozil.

Onto hoping now that it will be announced that this is his final 2 years, he is going to work with a DoF and that we are going all out to keep Sanchez and Ozil.

He'll be dragged out, kicking and screaming, by lads in white coats.
    Just like i've always said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Stan: So Mr Wagner you are very good at this soccer ball. But can you adapt to modern ways?
    AW: I Know Stan, i promise i will change, i really promise
    Stan: Good enough for me, how does 2 more years sound

wawaman wrote: »
    Stan: So Mr Wagner you are very good at this soccer ball making money. But can you adapt to modern ways continue to bring in revenue?
    AW: I Know Stan, i promise i will change, i really promise
    Stan: Good enough for me, how does 2 more years sound
    FYP :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

If Wenger has agreed a new deal I think it's the smart thing to do but only if during these two years control is slowly but surely taken off him.

Changing manager at Arsenal isn't like Chelsea or man city changing manager. It needs to be managed so that when he leaves people are in place around the club who know what they are doing.

Fergie left United and 3 managers and prob 500million later they are still finishing in 6th and playing awful football.

You could argue this should have been done during Wengers last two year deal or even before tbh.

I'm not too hopeful that this will be done though and if it isn't it's going to be a complete mess when he does leave

The little sneery face gives it away though. That little grin that says " i''m staying and you lot are fools to think otherwise".
    That and the fact that his lips are moving.
    But we always knew he wouldn't go and wouldn't be pushed either.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/10898089/is-wenger-leaving-arsenal

• Advertisement

It's on the BBC, so yeah it's done.

Wenger made it sound like he was having a board meeting to find out his fate, not a board meeting to tell the board what is happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Well I've always been of the opinion that he'd earned the right to see out the season and didn't deserve the abuse directed his way after everything he'd done for the club. After signing a 2 year extension he's lost that right now, and if things continue on like they have been it could get ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its not inconceivable to think that such is his influence and dominance 2 years is a reasonable time frame to prepare for life after him.

Still, should have been decided 2 years ago that his time was up and now is the time we should be getting a new manager in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Well I've always been of the opinion that he'd earned the right to see out the season and didn't deserve the abuse directed his way after everything he'd done for the club. After signing a 2 year extension he's lost that right now, and if things continue on like they have been it could get ugly.

Contract aside, if things don't improve I don't see him lasting the season & that would be a really sad way for him to go out.

Arsenal treading water.
    Another static season awaits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Contract aside, if things don't improve I don't see him lasting the season & that would be a really sad way for him to go out.

He's now in the strange position that just getting back into 4th would be an improvement because of the performance of his team this year. That would definitely be enough for him to see out this contract.

• Advertisement

What did we do to deserve such a spineless board and owner.....usmanov better push on with another takeover bid soon

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's on the BBC, so yeah it's done.

Wenger made it sound like he was having a board meeting to find out his fate, not a board meeting to tell the board what is happening.

He'll probably end up telling the board their fate!

They are really useless!

The little sneery face gives it away though. That little grin that says " i''m staying and you lot are fools to think otherwise".
    That and the fact that his lips are moving.
    But we always knew he wouldn't go and wouldn't be pushed either.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/10898089/is-wenger-leaving-arsenal

Tayto you're coming across as a little paranoid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

o ffs so his staying for another 2 seasons.

im done with this all until he walks out.

Its terrible. i have no faith in him anymore . he needed to go this season and now with the dortmound manager available and a good replacement for wenger, you really cant say there is no managers available.

This is shocking news

He's now in the strange position that just getting back into 4th would be an improvement because of the performance of his team this year. That would definitely be enough for him to see out this contract.

I take your point, but he's already blamed a portion of the fans for the downturn in performance. That certainly won't endear him any further and if the performance doesn't improve, that dissent will only get worse.

I expect Liverpool to be stronger this year, Spurs showed what they're capable of, both Manchester clubs and Chelsea will also be up there, so 4th may be further away than ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Well looks like Wenger is staying another 2 years, nothing can be done now but get on with it and get behind him and the team.
    Nothing gained from the toxic atmosphere that was around this season

I won't be getting into what might or could happen next season, I'll just wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

domrush wrote:
    I'll never understand the desire to get rid of Theo Walcott on this forum after the season he's just had.

I actually like Walcott myself but what's the point in keeping him if he's only picked for half the season? I also don't see how he fits into the new system either unfortunately so I think it makes more sense to replace him with a player who Wenger will select all season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

we aint getting top 4 next season

2pm BBC Radio News just stated that a 2 year contract agreed and will be announced tomorrow.

we aint getting top 4 next season

In his post cup final interview on the pitch Arsene said this team can win the championship with 2 or 3 right additions.

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Well looks like Wenger is staying another 2 years, nothing can be done now but get on with it and get behind him and the team.
    Nothing gained from the toxic atmosphere that was around this season

I won't be getting into what might or could happen next season, I'll just wait and see.
    We'll see you next May so. Cool. Chat then, KtnxBye

Haha good old Tone, Adams is having another pop at Arsene.

"He's got no friends...I feel sorry for him"

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10898165/tony-adams-feels-sorry-for-arsenal-boss-arsene-wenger

Haha good old Tone, Adams is having another pop at Arsene.

"He's got no friends...I feel sorry for him"

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10898165/tony-adams-feels-sorry-for-arsenal-boss-arsene-wenger

In fairness, love Tone Mr Arsenal and all that, but he's not doing himself any favours with all this **** coming out.

His situation is more worthy of pity than Wengers, these headlines are doing him no favours at all as he fails utterly yet again in his latest coaching role.

In fairness, love Tone Mr Arsenal and all that, but he's not doing himself any favours with all this **** coming out.

His situation is more worthy of pity than Wengers, these headlines are doing him no favours at all as he fails utterly yet again in his latest coaching role.

Yep but it sells his new book :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement