Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

They simply don't give a shít what the paying fans think. It's that simple.

Fans want success correlating with the prices they pay. Kroenke wants money. Kroenke wins.

You don't matter to them lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

And when those two years are up he'll be in sight of Fergie's record. LMFAO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

who here is gunna renew there season ticket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

On the bright side everyone knows the story pretty early in the pre-season. We should find out pretty soon which players wish to prolong thier stay, who wants to leave and gives the team time to get new signings in.

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I can just imagine the conversation:

"If you get someone new, then you'll have to give them a budget to spend"

"2 years ok for you?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

...and the cycle goes on. What makes anyone think the next two years are going to be any different to the 13 or 14 that went before it? We know EXACTLY what we're getting over the next two years.

I'll be watching a lot more rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Christ, things aren't that bad :)

Hopefully get news on Sanchez and Ozil soon too, good news hopefully. And then a couple of signings. And try and enjoy the next two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »
    Tayto you're coming across as a little paranoid

Cynical more like.
    Oh and pi**ed off. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Wash your mouth out.

greendom wrote: »
    On the bright side everyone knows the story pretty early in the pre-season. We should find out pretty soon which players wish to prolong thier stay, who wants to leave and gives the team time to get new signings in.

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic

Now where have i heard that before ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

So what's his plan for the next two seasons then? All we need now is for Sanchez to be sold to a premier league rival and more of the same **** in the transfer window dilly and dallying like every transfer window. Absolute joke that he was given another two year contract. He isn't going to change his ways, no hopers in the two main competitions for the next two or three years now.

I really hope he proves us all wrong, but we know there is no hope of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Quazzie wrote: »
    We'll see you next May so. Cool. Chat then, KtnxBye

Did I say I was going anywhere? Or are you only allowed post here if it's depressing ****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Absolutely spineless from the board but not unexpected. Will not be renewing my membership now and not spending a penny on Arsenal merchandise or tickets going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I fully expect a battle to claim a europa League spot with Everton & West Brom, Sanchez to be sold for a bargain basement price to City or United & a few no mark signings of promising teenagers to look forward to.... my strategy is to have a very low level of expectation so theres a chance the coming season can be viewed positively... then when we manage to hang on to 5th spot or sneak fourth because someone else f**ked up spectacularly I wont be going through the same annual ritual I've been going through since 2007
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

I wonder what the reaction will be with everyone that wants him out IF Sanchez and/or Ozil sign new contracts?

Personally, I think Ozil is off and Sanchez may stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Did I say I was going anywhere? Or are you only allowed post here if it's depressing ****?
    You stated "I won't be getting into what might or could happen next season, I'll just wait and see."

If you're not doing that then there isn't much for you to be talking about on here, is there?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Very disappointing to hear he's signed. I'd have happily taken the turmoil it would have caused if he stepped down just because it would have been a change. was perfectly poised after the weekend too. Oh well, stuck with him for two more years now, guess we'll see what happens. i'll be looking forward to next season regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I wonder what the reaction will be with everyone that wants him out IF Sanchez and/or Ozil sign new contracts?

And how will you feel if Ozil stays and Sanchez leaves (possibly to one of our direct rivals!)!!

That would soften the blow a bit, but that's only because I know Wenger is here for another two years (got a pay rise too) and there is nothing I can do about it.

If either are sold, especially to a premier league team, then he can **** off and won't have my support. I couldn't stomach another RVP situation effectively winning them the league.

I'll back Wenger as he is the current manager, but the knives are out if it's another slow start to the season. Patience is wearing thin now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

gandalf wrote: »
    And how will you feel if Ozil stays and Sanchez leaves (possibly to one of our direct rivals!)!!

Sanchez won't be sold to an English club this summer, no way.

Sanchez won't be sold to an English club this summer, no way.

If we have any ambition then Sanchez and Ozil won't be sold at all and a few BIG additions will be added to the squad. BUT I have no faith in that happening and will be pleasantly surprised if it does.
    Ball firmly in Wenger and the Board's court.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Whats done is done, we need to get behind the team now. With Xhaka looking decent and the back three switch working out ok, we have a good blueprint to build on. Dont get me wrong, I dont want Wenger in charge and havent for a long time. But that isnt going to change so lets support the team.

Absolutely vital we get Sanchez and Ozil to sign on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The top for managers must be grinning from ear to ear that Wenger has signed for another 2 yrs.....ffs

keano_afc wrote: »
    Whats done is done, we need to get behind the team now. With Xhaka looking decent and the back three switch working out ok, we have a good blueprint to build on. Dont get me wrong, I dont want Wenger in charge and havent for a long time. But that isnt going to change so lets support the team.

Absolutely vital we get Sanchez and Ozil to sign on now.
    If we start with a home loss like last year then things could begin to get very nasty for Wenger. People are fed up with this crap.
    Another thing, seeing as he's staying, he needs to get his transfer business done early to keep the fans happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Quazzie wrote: »
    You stated "I won't be getting into what might or could happen next season, I'll just wait and see."

If you're not doing that then there isn't much for you to be talking about on here, is there?

Of course there is I can take about the things that are actually happening, and don't want to speculate or get hysterical about how badly we may be next year. But by all means you can continue to do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

I'm actually relieved he's staying. Even tho I would have liked a change during the season. Reasons are 1) stability. This is what we are getting with this new contract. 2) players. I believe both Sanchez and Ozil will stay. And if not they won't be sold to PL rivals. Wenger promised that already. I also think that other players will be more inclined to sign. 3) I think there will be a shake up in how the footballing management at the club will be run without undermining Wenger. Including scouting which I think Wenger has aid he wants to address. There's word that DB10 will return too 4) I think that Wenger is never given the praise for changing his football philosophy to fit what needs to be done. Does everyone forget the style of play he deployed in the last few
    Months to clinch 4th around 2 seasons ago. It was the most negative and safe style of play we ever adopted but was so effective and secured a champions league spot. His move also to play 3 at the back would surely be considered ground breaking for him. His legacy is worth more to him than his stubbornness.

I think also there was no one of his pedigree to replace him anyway.

Having said all that. If the changes above aren't implemented then it will have been an extremely wasteful exercise to renew. And I appreciate people here think that regardless but I honestly believe if there's a sea change then I believe there's hope for a resurgence.

But then again I'm a hopeless optimistic/romantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

If we start with a home loss like last year then things could begin to get very nasty for Wenger. People are fed up with this crap.
    Another thing, seeing as he's staying, he needs to get his transfer business done early to keep the fans happy.

And we all know how that tends to go. Can we win the league in the next two seasons? With Wenger in charge no, I dont believe so. I fully expect 2 more blueprint seasons, with a run in the Europa league next season the only difference.

He may have asked Kroenke for a sackful of cash for the summer, who knows. The thing is, I dont trust him to sign the right players.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hasn't it been something like 8 years since we won on opening day?

keano_afc wrote: »
    And we all know how that tends to go. Can we win the league in the next two seasons? With Wenger in charge no, I dont believe so. I fully expect 2 more blueprint seasons, with a run in the Europa league next season the only difference.

He may have asked Kroenke for a sackful of cash for the summer, who knows. The thing is, I dont trust him to sign the right players.

Well if his history over the last 10/11 years is to continue i'd agree.
    I will support the club, Arsenal, as I have always done but I don't believe Wenger will deliver anymore than an odd cup.
    We should be aiming higher of course.
    Hopefully both of us are wrong but we have been here before many times.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hasn't it been something like 8 years since we won on opening day?
    It's been a few but the fans will react after everything that's happened, that's the point.

I'm assuming Ivan Gazidis is leaving? He did say years ago that ultimately the fans decide the future of the manager. He also wasn't there at the meeting today, it was just Kroenke and Wenger. So what is the point of this Arsenal board exactly?

Are they going to be sitting on their arses doing nothing for the next two seasons as they have been for the past 4 or 5 years. The sad thing about all this is, we could be in exactly the same predicament in two years time, with no contingency plan in place for the next manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

I'm honestly sick of this another 2 years of false hope a decent run to a terrible season and he pulls the wool over a lot of fans eyes once again nothing is going to change how many seasons is this going on like and still people think next season will be different ?
    Nobody remembering back to back defeats against Everton and City and how badly we played? The hammering Bayern gave us or the losses to Palace and West Brom? Or 3-3 against Bmouth ?
    The only reason the board gave him an extension is because they did not look for a replacement when they should have months ago and even if they did that board wouldn't know a good manager if their life depended on it I don't know how some fans can be happy he's staying. I will always support Arsenal but like a poster above me said the only silverware we are capable of winning under Wenger is a shield or cup and the man has not another league in him and for me all I want is to win the league it's been far too long at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Mahrez requested a transfer....Wenger was after him before so let's see if the kitty really is open.

I wonder if there is anyone left on this forum who is really happy he is staying?
    I would love to hear their reasons. I really would.

I wonder if there is anyone left on this forum who is really happy he is staying?

I wouldn't say I'm happy. I'm pretty indifferent to it all.

I've never been about Wenger out, I'm more about who we bring in. Wenger out isn't a solution, it's just something different. I can understand why that's enough for some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I will follow Arsenal through thick and thin, as I love the club with all my heart even before Wenger came along. But I still firmly believe we will never win a PL title under this man again, loved to be proven wrong but I'm fairly confident he won't be challenging come April 2018, could buy the whole Real Madrid team and he would still manage to mess it up.

I could see us struggling to get 4th but really does it matter if we get it or not, the board today clearly shows that they don't care either. Expect either Ozil or Alexis signing a new contract to be announced in the next week or so, also that Serbian left back to be announced as well, as Wenger and the board believe it might soften the blow.

He really needs to spend big and not leave things to the last minute, hit the ground running and not make the same mistakes he's done over the last so many years. If doesn't do that then expect infighting with fans and hatred towards him to get worse.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say I'm happy. I'm pretty indifferent to it all.

I've never been about Wenger out, I'm more about who we bring in. Wenger out isn't a solution, it's just something different. I can understand why that's enough for some people.

I was a bit like that too about 8 years ago. Hoping he would get it right and we'd win the league again. That time i would be thinking that I didn't care who was manager as long as the team played well, challenged and fought their best for the club, pride in the jersey kind of thing. Now it's a brilliant performance like last Saturday or a disgraceful home loss to the likes of Watford.
    I really am fed up of it.

I will be seriously surprised if he spends big this summer cause I firmly believe he will still come out with "We're just one or two players away from winning title" line. He's under no pressure from the board.

• Advertisement

Looper007 wrote: »
    I will be seriously surprised if he spends big this summer cause I firmly believe he will still come out with "We're just one or two players away from winning title" line. He's under no pressure from the board.

He already said that line on Saturday. We're not going on a spree.

He basically said keep this squad together, and add a couple more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Looper007 wrote: »
    I will follow Arsenal through thick and thin,

Oh and there was me expecting everyone to abandon them after not making one champions league in twenty years. Hang in there you hero.

Basil3 wrote: »
    He already said that line on Saturday. We're not going on a spree.

He basically said keep this squad together, and add a couple more.

I didn't hear that.
    He'll be under serious pressure from the fans if we lose a few games.
    He might please some of the Board but the fans will turn against him big-time if we are out of the race early again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

This 4th place talk really makes my blood boil - not directed at you lads.

It seems every time arsenal are mentioned it's about gaining 4th place - we should be disappointed with anything less than Premier League champions. The laxity of some fans astounds me.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Realistically were not going to do a United/Chelsea/City and splash a huge amount id be happy with Ozil and Sanchez renewing but can't see Sanchez hope I'm wrong though think if they stay and maybe if we landed Maherez that would be a decent window for us along with that bosnian full back who has already signed I know we need a lot more but I can't see us getting in more than 3 new players, we won't be bringing in any more goalkeepers or defenders I think and can't see Chambers being loaned out again hopefully himself and holding can continue there good form, gibbs will surely see the door I hope Nacho stays he's very versatile especially with are new formation,Ramsey will sign a new deal as will Walcott (imo) hard know what will happen and probably like always will be a frustrating window but imagine a front 3 of ozil and maherz just in front of Alexis upfront a man can dream I suppose :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yes, there are.

Been shouted down waaaay too many times in here, though. So not going through that again, thanks.

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Oh and there was me expecting everyone to abandon them after not making one champions league in twenty years. Hang in there you hero.

Who got up on the wrong side of bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

If Wenger really is the best man going forward, why did it take so ****ing long to agree to a deal?
    Gazidis promised a review of the seasons failings and in his own words a "catalyst of change". I wonder what the board agree to be the best method to change, adapt and improve as we move forward? Id also love to know whats the rest of the boards opinion on Wenger staying, cause if the stories are true and Kronke and himself agreed a deal, then what is the point of the board at all.
    Im annoyed by this, he should have left on a high while people were in good spirits, he's just dragging it out and it will be more of the same next year and the year after.
    His only hope is that we hit the ground running in August cause he is going to be under serious scrutiny from the fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I didn't hear that.
    He'll be under serious pressure from the fans if we lose a few games.
    He might please some of the Board but the fans will turn against him big-time if we are out of the race early again.

Exactly. Also just because he's gotten a two year contract it doesn't mean he can't be sacked for underperforming. He will be under the microscope more than ever before next season.

Anyone who expects something different other than what has gone before is insane. It's gonna be two years of utter mediocrity...again.

Also just because he's gotten a two year contract it doesn't mean he can't be sacked for underperforming.
    1a6c93c71aefe2b524e8a40ec27a0800e7f0f49ff8d71545dff2c9235f099771.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

We all knew it was coming lads, especially after the FA Cup win! Here's a look at his transfer business since coming to Arsenal. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't spend as much as this year or 14/15

Season|Bought (£m)|Sold (£m)|Net (£m)|Comments
    96/97|20.25|10.12|10.13|
    97/98|0.8|0.75|0.05|
    98/99|13.8|4.87|8.93|
    99/00|22.85|29.03|-6.18|
    00/01|35|31.7|3.3|
    01/02|15.25|4.274|10.98|
    02/03|6.6|5.71|0.89|
    03/04|20.5|3.85|16.65|
    04/05|4.5|2.9|1.6|
    05/06|36.9|30.12|6.78|
    06/07|13.9|30.9|-17|