Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

The high of Saturday to this. It's all so predictable and I feel stupid for even contemplating that there might be any change whatsoever. Sucker. Well played Arsene, well played sir.

If we lose Sanchez now I will struggle to maintain interest in the upcoming season. IF he keeps him and Ozil and adds another big name or 2 then I might sit up and take notice. That's unlikely though as god forbid the balance of the squad is unsettled! Expect contract extensions now for a number of his pet players i.e. the sh1t ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Jaysus another two years of this ****e. I won't be able for it.

Here's hoping the Europa League goes well because it looks like we're gonna be in it for the next few seasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I'd love it he came out tomorrow and said he was off. Not for any of the reasons mentioned so far, just as a final "**** you" to the British media.

It will never happen though, I think the club relies on him too much for him to just up and leave. I do want him to leave at this stage, as I'm not sure how much further we can go and I think it's time for change.

However, if they do actually start the process of a handover from tomorrow, lining up a replacement manager, hiring a DoF (even if he is under Wengers tutelage for now) it might be acceptable.

Would have much preferred it that whole process was only going to take a year but I could see how it might take longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

farna_boy wrote: »
    However, if they do actually start the process of a handover from tomorrow, lining up a replacement manager, hiring a DoF (even if he is under Wengers tutelage for now) it might be acceptable.

I just can't see that happening while Wenger is here. He has already said that he wouldn't work with a director of football figure. Wenger does it all at Arsenal and doesn't like being questioned or challenged. I just don't see the positives in giving him another two year contract as I don't think we will be in any way better prepared for the replacement in two years time as we are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I honestly dont think spending huge amounts of money will fix the problem with Arsenal under Wenger, its the mans tactics or lack there of thats the problem. He has one way of playing and if it does not work out we are fooked...no plan B.

He needs to get ruthless and stop the father figure stuff, get rid of the deadwood and sign leaders and players who are not afraid to work and get stuck in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I wonder if there is anyone left on this forum who is really happy he is staying?
    I would love to hear their reasons. I really would.

I did want him to leave, but he's staying and I'll be fully behind him.

The end of season run (apart from the Spurs game) showed signs that with some decent additions and if we hold onto our best then next season could be a good one. Seems that the dressing room is united too.

I look to what happened to United post Fergie and it's vital that the board start work on succession now. Needs to be done carefully though. Won't be a good time if everyone gets wind that he's off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »
    I did want him to leave, but he's staying and I'll be fully behind him.

The end of season run (apart from the Spurs game) showed signs that with some decent additions and if we hold onto our best then next season could be a good one. Seems that the dressing room is united too.

I look to what happened to United post Fergie and it's vital that the board start work on succession now. Needs to be done carefully though. Won't be a good time if everyone gets wind that he's off.

We've seen that loads of times though. At some part of a season we've looked unbeatable but then it always goes pear-shaped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

This talk of Mahrez, did he even play well last season? Even after Ranieri was sacked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hyzepher wrote: »
    AW stubbornness has been the source of most irritation by most - especially in the last few years. But I have gotten a sense that he wants to extend his contract and completely shake things up in terms of strategy/formation/transfers etc.

His comments after the final rung true with me in terms of his intentions. However, no CL next year may make it hard to attract/keep players but this would be true for any new manager also.

IF he does stay I'd wager that we see a new side to him.

People really do project whatever they want to believe in situations like this. He's changed very little about his approach (in broad terms) for the last decade. The narrative of each season has increasingly become commonplace, with a similar range of positives, issues and outcomes. He's also a 67 year old man.

The idea that you'll see something radically different from him is pure fancy imo. I mean, I'd kind of love to be wrong on that - it would be a cool ending to a phenomenal career. But I don't see it, and there's precious little evidence to base such a projection upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I honestly dont think spending huge amounts of money will fix the problem with Arsenal under Wenger, its the mans tactics or lack there of thats the problem. He has one way of playing and if it does not work out we are fooked...no plan B.

He needs to get ruthless and stop the father figure stuff, get rid of the deadwood and sign leaders and players who are not afraid to work and get stuck in.

No plan B?

Wasn't Arsenal's superb end of year form, conquest of City and Chelsea, ultimate Cup win and serious push for top 4 not hugely based on Wenger implementing a plan B (emphasising a solid defence and switching to 3421)?

I'm pretty sure he didn't use that formation in his whole 20 years at the club, can't really get much more of a plan B than that!

Morzadec wrote: »
    No plan B?

Wasn't Arsenal's superb end of year form, conquest of City and Chelsea, ultimate Cup win and serious push for top 4 not hugely based on Wenger implementing a plan B (emphasising a solid defence and switching to 3421)?

I'm pretty sure he didn't use that formation in his whole 20 years at the club, can't really get much more of a plan B than that!

Nope, doesn't count. That's the new plan A. If he does something different like change formation back to 4-2-3-1 mid match, or throw Giroud on to chase a goal, this is also Plan A.

We've seen that loads of times though. At some part of a season we've looked unbeatable but then it always goes pear-shaped.

Yes in the past a few injuries to important players like our 3 most used centre backs all being out at the same time would cause a decent run to come to an end.

Now maybe Saturday was just a freak but the fact that we could perform so well with such a makeshift defence bodes well for the future imo
    Having said that we did spend half a season adjusting to Santi's injury. Shame Xhaka took so long to settle .

Yes in the past a few injuries to important players like our 3 most used centre backs all being out at the same time would cause a decent run to come to an end.

Now maybe Saturday was just a freak but the fact that we could perform so well with such a makeshift defence bodes well for the future imo
    Having said that we did spend half a season adjusting to Santi's injury. Shame Xhaka took so long to settle .

Far too many ifs and buts there.
    Why do you think this season is going to be any better than any other of the last 10?

More like 9/10ths of a season.

Far too many ifs and buts there.
    Why do you think this season is going to be any better than any other of the last 10?

What makes you think it would be any better with another manager?

What makes you think it would be any better with another manager?

I don't know if it would be better or worse BUT it's not working with Wenger so i'd be prepared to change.
    Why remain as is with a failure?

I don't know if it would be better or worse BUT it's not working with Wenger so i'd be prepared to change.
    Why remain as is with a failure?

You're understanding of 'failure' is different to mine.

You're understanding of 'failure' is different to mine.
    Cups don't do much for me unless they're add0ons to the league i'm afraid.
    Anyway why not change?

• Advertisement

Cups don't do much for me unless they're add0ons to the league i'm afraid.
    Anyway why not change?

The decision has been made. I'm in no position to do anything about it so I'll accept it. In addition I've always had huge respect for Wenger and I always will have.

The decision has been made. I'm in no position to do anything about it so I'll accept it. In addition I've always had huge respect for Wenger and I always will have.
    Fair enough but it sounds like following blindly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Happy the boss is staying on, another season with a trophy season just gone . Roll on August hopefully a few decent signings over summer. Hope these idiots protesting give it a rest now

liam7831 wrote: »
    Happy the boss is staying on, another season with a trophy season just gone . Roll on August hopefully a few decent signings over summer. Hope these idiots protesting give it a rest now
    Ha ha maybe we should just concentrate on the FA Cup.
    We don't do leagues anymore.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

This place really is the pits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

What an absolutely suckey way for you lads to have to face into the summer with just winning the cup. Surely with the cup win the time was right for him to step aside with a victory that would have covered up a lot of the upset from last season.

I can see mayhem at Arsenal if you don't start the season well and have a good summer in the market.

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »

Posters are discussing a major decision by the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

L'prof wrote: »

Expecting Lewis Hamilton in for a tyre change?
    Or Maggie Thatcher to close it down?

Two more years lads...best we can hope for is we don't fall further behind because previous form doesn't look good for improvements.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Expecting Lewis Hamilton in for a tyre change?
    Or Maggie Thatcher to close it down?

Two more years lads...best we can hope for is we don't fall further behind because previous form doesn't look good for improvements.
    Best we can hope for is Kroenke having to sell for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Basil3 wrote: »

Deadly. A replacement for Sanogo

• Advertisement

His wiki page says he's scored 804 goals in 565 games since he was 4 years old. :pac:

He's only 17 years old according to Wiki.
    Hardly a "world class striker" as yet.
    Hopefully he will be but he's probably a replacement for Perez who wants out.

Seriously though, ?6.8 million for a player in a team just promoted to the Belgian top division? Seriously, **** off. Gonna be different for the next 2 years, sure.

He's 20 in a week or 2. Apparently we've outcompeted the likes of Swansea and Brighton for his services.

Seriously though, ?6.8 million fror a player in a team just promoted to the Belgian top division? Seriously, **** off. Gonna be different for the next 2 years, sure.
    Worked with Holding. Except he'd just been relegated from the 2nd division of English fooball

Wiki also says:

"Henry Chukwuemeka Onyekuru (born 5 June 1997) is a Nigerian footballer who currently plays for Arsenal and is the second coming of Yaya Sanogo forward."

Anyway, I was only joking. Do you even remember what it's like to have a laugh, especially where arsenal is concerned?

Worked with Holding. Except he'd just been relegated from the wind division of English fooball
    We can expect half a dozen good games from his so, awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

full name - Henry Babatunde Chukwuemeka Onyekuru CLG
    That must be some signature...

Seriously though, ?6.8 million for a player in a team just promoted to the Belgian top division? Seriously, **** off. Gonna be different for the next 2 years, sure.

I want us spending 60/70m on aubamayang or someone like that not a few million on some fcuking prospect.
    Same old same old its looking like already.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    I want us spending 60/70m on aubamayang or someone like that not a few million on some fcuking prospect.
    Same old same old its looking like already.

I'm sure it's grand, we just finished 5th so we just need to spend next season preparing for the following season and win everything in Wenger's last season because that's how it works.

• Advertisement

Wiki also says:

"Henry Chukwuemeka Onyekuru (born 5 June 1997) is a Nigerian footballer who currently plays for Arsenal and is the second coming of Yaya Sanogo forward."

Anyway, I was only joking. Do you even remember what it's like to have a laugh, especially where arsenal is concerned?
    Jaysus there's enough people laughing at us.:pac:

I'm sure it's grand, we just finished 5th so we just need to spend next season preparing for the following season and win everything in Wenger's last season because that's how it works.

If only buddy....if fcuking only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's only football gentleman it's only football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

If it's not from Ornstein or at worst Jeremy Wilson it's a load of balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Speaking of which. What did Perez ever do to Wenger? What a waste.

Speaking of which. What did Perez ever do to Wenger? What a waste.

17m of a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

17m of a waste.

Why does he continuously try this with strikers? Podolski the same, never fancied him. Why buy them? Sanogo, Park chu yung, chamakh...off the top of my head.

Point being all our strikers are a punt. Just f*cking go out there and buy a proven world class striker. Hoping he will find the next Thierry Henry by sheer luck. Joke.

• Advertisement

Why does he continuously try this with strikers? Podolski the same, never fancied him. Why buy them? Sanogo, Park chu yung, chamakh...off the top of my head.

Plays alot of naturally central strikers out wide too. Podolski was suited more to a 2 man attack and not behind a central striker out wide. Hes a brilliant finisher

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement