Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The only thing that will make Wenger getting a two year extension anyway palatable would be to announce that Sanchez and Ozil have signed new deals. If they board were clever they would have lined these up to announce in parallel. I doubt it's the case and I would bet the house on the press release including the phrase "war chest" somewhere as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

L'prof wrote: »
    That would be an absolute disaster

Bit suspicious they say this the day after Wengers new contract, nothing else negative to write about regards Arsenal me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Bit suspicious they say this the day after Wengers new contract, nothing else negative to write about regards Arsenal me thinks

The Bayern links are coming from a Vidal interview in which he says that he told Sanchez to join Bayern. It's just putting 2 and 2 together and getting 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

If we were to buy a world class striker, which of our current strikers would you sell? Welbeck or Giroud?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

farna_boy wrote: »
    If we were to buy a world class striker, which of our current strikers would you sell? Welbeck or Giroud?
    Welbeck. He offers nothing new. At least Giroud is an alternative to what we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We can't go another season without signing a striker who fits the team. Welbeck fits the team well but can't score goals. Giroud doesn't fit the team whatsoever but does score, however at the expense of slowing the team down endlessly. Its been 5 seasons since RVP left and we haven't had a good enough striker since. Surely its top priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Seriously though, ?6.8 million for a player in a team just promoted to the Belgian top division? Seriously, **** off. Gonna be different for the next 2 years, sure.

Top scorer in the top division this season. I actually think this is a really good piece of business for Arsenal. I'm sure Arsenal fans are sick of trying to do some good business and want some ready made world class players though, which you can't really blame them for.

Johner wrote: »
    Top scorer in the top division this season. I actually think this is a really good piece of business for Arsenal. I'm sure Arsenal fans are sick of trying to do some good business and want some ready made world class players though, which you can't really blame them for.
    He scored 10 in 10 at the end of the season which is when the league is split top and bottom and the bottom takes in 3 teams from the next division, though I can't find how many of his goals were against the really rubbish teams. :pac:

We're back to bargain-basement, "wait til they settle in" bull**** alas.

EDIT: I was wrong about the just-promoted thing, stupid Belgian league is mighty confusing in its format. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

He scored 10 in 10 at the end of the season which is when the league is split top and bottom and the bottom takes in 3 teams from the next division, though I can't find how many of his goals were against the really rubbish teams. :pac:

We're back to bargain-basement, "wait til they settle in" bull**** alas.

EDIT: I was wrong about the just-promoted thing, stupid Belgian league is mighty confusing in its format. :P

Yeah I follow the Belgian league and still don't really understand it that well. :pac:

He's still a bit lightweight and a bit raw as you'd expect at 19 and I'm not sure he'd ever fill into a premier league striker but he's pacey and trickery and would be a good option on the right or left hand side, he's probably better on the left cutting in on his right. One more year in Belgium would be best for his development I'd say.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Yeah I follow the Belgian league and still don't really understand it that well. :pac:

He's still a bit lightweight and a bit raw as you'd expect at 19 and I'm not sure he'd ever fill into a premier league striker but he's pacey and trickery and would be a good option on the right or left hand side, he's probably better on the left cutting in on his right. One more year in Belgium would be best for his development I'd say.
    Sure we can loan him back for a year. :pac:
    Nothing against the kid but it's a bloody waste spending about ?8million on him at this stage. Are we gonna do the same thing as last year and spend fairly bigly overall but get next to nothing to improve the first team for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

gandalf wrote: »
    The only thing that will make Wenger getting a two year extension anyway palatable would be to announce that Sanchez and Ozil have signed new deals. If they board were clever they would have lined these up to announce in parallel. I doubt it's the case and I would bet the house on the press release including the phrase "war chest" somewhere as well.

Haha you said 'Board' and 'clever' in the same sentence:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Sure we can loan him back for a year. :pac:
    Nothing against the kid but it's a bloody waste spending about ?8million on him at this stage. Are we gonna do the same thing as last year and spend fairly bigly overall but get next to nothing to improve the first team for it.

"Onyekuru is the top scorer in the Jupiler League, notching his 20th goal on May 20, and has been of interest to Everton, Southampton, West Ham and West Brom"

Not knocking the lad, but the competition for his signing was hardly fierce

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Onyekuru the new Sanogo !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Morzadec wrote: »
    No plan B?

Wasn't Arsenal's superb end of year form, conquest of City and Chelsea, ultimate Cup win and serious push for top 4 not hugely based on Wenger implementing a plan B (emphasising a solid defence and switching to 3421)?

I'm pretty sure he didn't use that formation in his whole 20 years at the club, can't really get much more of a plan B than that!

He resorted to the back 3 out of desperation and injuries after 2 decades playing the same formation with the odd tinker.

Hardly the work of a genius now is it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Haha you said 'Board' and 'clever' in the same sentence:pac:

I know, I'll go wash myself with the wire brush!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

4 more years! 4 more years !!

wawaman wrote: »
    4 more years! 4 more years !!

Only if that's when he passes away and his ashes are scattered across the Emirates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

L'prof wrote: »
    We all knew it was coming lads, especially after the FA Cup win! Here's a look at his transfer business since coming to Arsenal. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't spend as much as this year or 14/15

Interesting to see his net spend for the first 16 years was just £4.3m, with £205.9m net in the last five years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I wouldn't link the formation change and the good run of results together that closely. Arsenal go on winning streaks when they've already blown it at the end of most seasons. The only difference with this one was that they beat two actually good teams in order to win the cup.

I wouldn't link the formation change and the good run of results together that closely. Arsenal go on winning streaks when they've already blown it at the end of most seasons. The only difference with this one was that they beat two actually good teams in order to win the cup.

I think it has quite a lot to do with it actually. The bombing-on fullbacks don't leave the centre backs exposed as much and it's suiting Xhaka as he's got more options to hit and Ramsey going forward doesn't leave his as exposed as in the other formation.

The midfield is now dominating games whereas before it wasn't working offensively or defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

At this stage Wenger will be still manager after he dies. Propped up by Steve Bould and Boro Primorac like Weekend at Bernies.

keano_afc wrote: »
    At this stage Wenger will be still manager after he dies. Propped up by Steve Bould and Boro Primorac like Weekend at Bernies.

They'll still be probably afraid to make a decision without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Aubameyang off to PSG for 65 odd million according to reports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Um...isn't that quite a significant difference?

Cazorla had another operation on the Achilles, out for another 5 months at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's official now anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wonder when we'll get to hear about any structural changes or if he just gets to carry on as before

Cazorla had another operation on the Achilles, out for another 5 months at least.

He's had awful bad luck with that injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Um...isn't that quite a significant difference?

Not really, it's 2 games. I'm not trying to add to the doom and gloom of some posters around here but cmon, Arsenal have gone on plenty of winning streaks over the past 10 seasons. It's like when they put together a good run from August til October and everyone thinks that this time things might actually be different. To date it has never been the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Disappointed now it's official, just feel like the club has stamped a lack of ambition. I know Wenger is trying and will try his best but he hasn't been able to mount that challenge for a long long time, in that period every team around us has atleast got close once or twice.

This looks to be completely Stans call, he has no interest in trophies he barely attends games, bottom line is money is being made

I'm not sick because I respect Wenger as a man but I'm deflated about the club now, hopefully some new faces and a good start will change that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

greendom wrote: »
    Wonder when we'll get to hear about any structural changes or if he just gets to carry on as before

Any structural changes will be on Wengers terms and they will be his ideas. Looking at that Ornstein tweet, saying that it's not necessarily his last contract at the club either. So we will be in this predicament again in two years time again.

Basically Wenger runs this club now, has a job for life and is basically bigger than the club. He doesn't and won't have to answer to anyone going forward now.

I'm not happy with this situation and I'll support the team as always. Just hope Wenger now proves me and a lot of people wrong in the next few years and show that he is capable of challenging for the big honours.

interesting stuff on our new signing (if it happens) sounds like there may be a little more to him than Sanogo.....

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/henry-onyekuru-arsenal-meet-thierry-henry-admirer-raised-qataris-belgium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I actually like the look of this new striker. I think he could be a great signing in time and he's not that expensive in today's market. He could be one for the future.
    However we need a proven striker. A consistent goalscorer in a major league who is better than what we already have. A player who doesn't need time and is ready to rock.
    It's great to be making signings but we need the finished articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wardling

....However we need a proven striker. A consistent goalscorer in a major league who is better than what we already have....

It the club are willing to spend cavani could be available now that aubemuyang (sp) has gone to psg.

Benzama could also be attainable if ronaldo gets his move to CF as they are already well stocked on the bench.

Wardling wrote: »
    It the club are willing to spend cavani could be available now that aubemuyang (sp) has gone to psg.

Benzama could also be attainable if ronaldo gets his move to CF as they are already well stocked on the bench.
    I'm not sold on Cavani. Any time I've seen him he misses at least 1 absolute sitter for each one he scores.

“Our ambition is to win the Premier League and other major trophies in Europe," he told Arsenal's official website.

"It’s what the fans, players, staff, manager and board expect and we won’t rest until that is achieved.

"Arsene is the best person to help us make that happen. He has a fantastic track record and has our full backing."
    - Stan Kroenke

Think the fans would like to see the amibition rather than be told about it.

Aubameyang was always a bit of a pipedream after missing out on CL but would have been perfect for the position. Can't think of too many suitable & gettable strikers who'll be on the market this summer. Mahrez is a possibility i reckon.

I presume Perez will be out the door in the summer, Was he injured all along or out of favour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wardling

I'm not sold on Cavani. Any time I've seen him he misses at least 1 absolute sitter for each one he scores.

I'm a big fan myself but I agree with this. A bit like higuan and ibra this year but if the chances are created he should still score enough to reach a minimum of 20 league goals. Better than giroud and wellbeck have to offer at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

He does, but then again he scores a bagful of goals everywhere he goes so I can deal with the odd sitter. He's 30 now though so I doubt we'd even go for him.

He does, but then again he scores a bagful of goals everywhere he goes so I can deal with the odd sitter. He's 30 now though so I doubt we'd even go for him.
    Yeah I just don't know if we'd create enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

We wont be bringing in any strikers other than that young Nigerian bloke thats why im praying Sanchez stays hes irraplaceable especially without Champions League football this year id let him go on a free next year to a rival club than lose him this year. Sick after hearing what Kronke and Gazidiz after saying there ambition is to win major trophies please ... If they dont go all out to keep Ozil and Sanchez this is just more spule to fans ears to renew season tiks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Is it 2019 yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Yeah I just don't know if we'd create enough.

Well that's the thing. I mean there was a few times this year and it didn't seem to matter who was up front because they simply weren't getting the service.

Is it because Sanchez likes to run with the ball or Ozil holds on to it for too long? Or is it simply that they no longer trust Giroud or Welbeck?

If it's the latter, a world class striker would definitely make a difference because they should pass to them. However, if it's for any other reason, then it won't matter who is up top if they don't get the ball or get the service, we might as well be playing with 10 which is how it felt at time this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If Sanchez leaves we won't even challenge next season. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Douglas Costa would be great. £40m would nab him, he's getting no playing time at Bayern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

It's a shame about Santi, he's having a nightmare with injuries and is only getting older. Think we may have seen the last of Santi in an Arsenal jersey now. Time to move on from him now. Was a great servant for the club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement