Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Arsenal scored 121 goals in all competitions last season. Highest amount since 1934/5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »
    Arsenal scored 121 goals in all competitions last season. Highest amount since 1934/5

Yep. We should have won everything with that.

greendom wrote: »

Unfortunately its a pity we forgot about the one we had to defend at the other end :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Yeah I just don't know if we'd create enough.

Dunno, with Ozil behind he'd get his fair share of chances. He does need a mountain of them to score though. He was so wasteful against us in the CL last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Cazorla has to be cut loose it kills me to say it but he's far too much of a gamble and will only get injured again after this one it's such a pitty as we were always so much better with him on the field the lad is quality but need to free up wages. Walcott needs the door too but I'd bet a lucky penny Wenger will get Walcotts new cushiony deal sorted before he looks at Alexis and Ozil.Hope Gibbs,Perez Gabriel all see the door too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Wardling wrote: »
    It the club are willing to spend cavani could be available now that aubemuyang (sp) has gone to psg.

Benzama could also be attainable if ronaldo gets his move to CF as they are already well stocked on the bench.

If reports are to be believed his deal with PSG is £61 million and 168k wages, which is a ****ing steal in this market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Usmanov has issued a statement that I believe is a clear swipe at Kronke and his lack of investment in the club. If Kronke does not then he is prepared to step in and have another go at buying a majority share --

"I am pleased Arsene Wenger will continue to manage Arsenal for the next two years - he is one of the best coaches in Europe. What is now of paramount importance is that he receives the full support of the board and the majority shareholder. He has a great opportunity to deliver the success that the fans deserve and the legacy his long contribution merits. However, without the right support there remains a real risk his legacy will be tarnished. If the support is not forthcoming we stand ready to step in and do everything we can to deliver success on and off the field."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Usmanov has issued a statement that I believe is a clear swipe at Kronke and his lack of investment in the club. If Kronke does not then he is prepared to step in and have another go at buying a majority share --

"I am pleased Arsene Wenger will continue to manage Arsenal for the next two years - he is one of the best coaches in Europe. What is now of paramount importance is that he receives the full support of the board and the majority shareholder. He has a great opportunity to deliver the success that the fans deserve and the legacy his long contribution merits. However, without the right support there remains a real risk his legacy will be tarnished. If the support is not forthcoming we stand ready to step in and do everything we can to deliver success on and off the field."

Kronke sells shirts, not interested in football or the fans. I believe the 2018 shirt will have extra branding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wardling

If reports are to be believed his deal with PSG is £61 million and 168k wages, which is a ****ing steal in this market.

Definitely....absolute bargain for a proven player....he will tear it up in France, no question. Strange going ons at bvb now with tuchel getting the boot also.

Wardling wrote: »
    Definitely....absolute bargain for a proven player....he will tear it up in France, no question. Strange going ons at bvb now with tuchel getting the boot also.

Apparently it was common knowledge that he'd get the boot when the season was over, reports of him having fallings out with the board, the players, staff etc..

Apparently it was common knowledge that he'd get the boot when the season was over, reports of him having fallings out with the board, the players, staff etc..

I'd rather 2 more years with Wenger than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Tempted to take a break from the soccer forum for a few weeks, think little of substance will be posted in the next two months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

domrush wrote: »
    Tempted to take a break from the soccer forum for a few weeks, think little of substance will be posted in the next two years!
    fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

domrush wrote: »
    Tempted to take a break from the soccer forum for a few weeks, think little of substance will be posted in the next two months!

Arsenal thread for last 5 or 6 years tbh.

• Advertisement

As I've banged on about before, our transfer dealings are a shambles in several ways rather than just "not spending money". Chelsea and City can sign players and sell players for huge amounts, when's the last time we sold anyone for decent cash? Last season we spent whatever, ?70million and had no-one to sell on to raise any funds. Again this season, even if we sign 2 first-teamers who is there down the pecking order to raise any kind of money? Hell even Ozil and Sanchez are unlikely to go for much with a season left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Well I guess it's Wenger in. Much of the same menu then, minus the CL, but the lower table.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

If this turns out to be true then you'd have to question what is going on with our transfer policy. Surely we can complete with that type of offer - although I'm not sure what the tax benefits of France might be compared to England, but you'd have to think there are better options than PSG out there for him.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    If this turns out to be true then you'd have to question what is going on with our transfer policy. Surely we can complete with that type of offer - although I'm not sure what the tax benefits of France might be compared to England, but you'd have to think there are better options than PSG out there for him.
    Our transfer policy is balls, as is our wage policy. Especially if this is to be believed: http://www.totalsportek.com/money/english-premier-league-wage-bills-club-by-club/

When I look at that I wonder who the massive earners are who have us spending 66% more than Spurs on wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Our transfer policy is balls, as is our wage policy. Especially if this is to be believed: http://www.totalsportek.com/money/english-premier-league-wage-bills-club-by-club/

When I look at that I wonder who the massive earners are who have us spending 66% more than Spurs on wages.
    Spurs are full of young, hungry players, who are for the vast majority on their first big contract. As Spurs progress as they are, this will change as every single one of these players will demand much more than they are currently on.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Spurs are full of young, hungry players, who are for the vast majority on their first big contract. As Spurs progress as they are, this will change as every single one of these players will demand much more than they are currently on.
    And we're full of what, old, fat players? Simple fact is we spend plenty on wages and are underperforming relative to that and other teams. The transfer policy also means that we pay decent money for players yet very, very rarely take decent money in for players.
    EDIT: Quick look suggests Spurs first 11 last season was an average age of 26, not a whole lot lower than ours I would imagine.

And we're full of what, old, fat players? Simple fact is we spend plenty on wages and are underperforming relative to that and other teams. The transfer policy also means that we pay decent money for players yet very, very rarely take decent money in for players.
    EDIT: Quick look suggests Spurs first 11 last season was an average age of 26, not a whole lot lower than ours I would imagine.
    We over pay for players that under perform, and Spurs underpay for players that over perform. Spurs will eventually rise to meet us, or very close to us as current players contracts are renewed, whereas we need to drop the dross, and/or replace with better quality to ensure we get to level we are paying for.

But I'd imagine the likes of Alli and Kane are on a good bit less than Ox and Giroud. That won't last tho and their next contracts will see dramatic rises.

But I'd imagine the likes of Alli and Kane are on a good bit less than Ox and Giroud. That won't last tho and their next contracts will see dramatic rises.

Exactly. I'd say now that they've won a top 4 trophy a couple of times, their players will be wanting to double their wages pretty soon.

We over pay for players that under perform, and Spurs underpay for players that over perform. Spurs will eventually rise to meet us, or very close to us as current players contracts are renewed, whereas we need to drop the dross, and/or replace with better quality to ensure we get to level we are paying for.
    Here's the thing though, how much "dross" can we drop to save decent money? Our older and better-paid players are mostly starters (Cech, Monreal, Giroud, Koscielny, Sanchez, Ozil) or we would need them to be sound and cut their contract short (Santi, Mertesacker, Debuchy, Theo). I was talking about this last summer but we really have sleepwalked into a pretty poor situation off the pitch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think it's fair to say that Arsenal are scared to spend money. Recently they've spent a little more in transfer fees but in the real world it's the wage that decides if the player joins not the transfer fee. In that regard we have a lot of catching up to do.

It's probably a case where we have a lot of average players being paid more than the average and the few WC players we have are suffering as a result. We should have 2/3 very highly paid players, 8-10 highly paid and the rest should be average or lower.

At the moment we are paying far over the odds for the caliber of player we have at the club

I see Atletico Madrid's transfer ban has been upheld. That means Lacazette won't be going there.

Would be a good signing for us.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Exactly. I'd say now that they've won a top 4 trophy a couple of times, their players will be wanting to double their wages pretty soon.
    The most recent thing I can find for Oxlade-Chamberlain is that he signed a long-term deal in December 2012 at age 19. Dele Alli seems to have signed his latest contract in January 2016 at age 19.
    Even if you assume Oxlade-Chamberlain's contract had raises built-in the amount of wage inflation in those 3 years was massive so I wouldn't be at all surprised if Alli is on similar money to AOC.

The most recent thing I can find for Oxlade-Chamberlain is that he signed a long-term deal in December 2012 at age 19. Dele Alli seems to have signed his latest contract in January 2016 at age 19.
    Even if you assume Oxlade-Chamberlain's contract had raises built-in the amount of wage inflation in those 3 years was massive so I wouldn't be at all surprised if Alli is on similar money to AOC.
    Dele All - 50k/w SOURCE*
    Oxlade Chamberlain - 65k/w SOURCE*

Not a massive difference but still 30% more.

Funnily it shows Kane and Giroud to both be on the same, with very different levels of pay back in terms of goals.

*not 100% certain on validity of the sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Aubamayang was a steal for PSG even without cl football we could have got him if anyone over the club had half a clue.

• Advertisement

Aubamayang was a steal for PSG even without cl football we could have got him if anyone over the club had half a clue.

I really don't think so.

By that logic we could have also signed Lewandowski for a free if anyone at the club had half a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Wenger reckons we need two signings. We already got the fella from germany and the Nigerian guy..........

That can't be it surely...... Oh wait, this is AW we are talking about.

Anybody thinking of taking up a hobby to pass away the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Wenger reckons we need two signings. We already got the fella from germany and the Nigerian guy..........

Ornstein said we want to spend 150m so 75m each on two great players would be nice...yeah right :(

Ornstein was on the Arseblog podcast today saying the Henry Onyekuru rumours are made up as far as he can tell there's no interest.

He was also confirming that the board was split on Wenger, and also that the Usmanov bid that was rejected by Kroenke was substantially bigger than what was reported in the press.

Champions Trophy Cricket, America's Cup, F1, Lion's Tour. Who needs hobbies?

Champions Trophy Cricket, America's Cup, F1, Lion's Tour. Who needs hobbies?

Everybody who doesn't watch all that ****.

Champions Trophy Cricket,
    Nah.
    America's Cup,
    Definitely not.
    F1,
    Not much of it.
    Lion's Tour.
    Manufactured BS.

A bit of GAA, a bit of Golf and a bit of walking on Slieve Foye.
    That's my summer. Plus a few wee city breaks on the continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

A bit of GAA, a bit of Golf and a bit of walking on Slieve Foye.
    That's my summer. Plus a few wee city breaks on the continent.

Started up the golf last week after my old chap spent 20 years trying to convince me to. Annoying as fcuk sport until you hit that perfect shot and all is good in the world again.

• Advertisement

Cycling - watching the TDF and propelling myself along the highways and byways of Meath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Taken from the Arsenal Reddit not sure if its all been posted here or not
    In an interview with Arsecast, BBC's David Ornstein covered a few points for Arsenal fans, given the recent renewal of Ars?ne Wenger's contract. The points made in the interview:
    The board was divided in offering Wenger a new contract at the club.
    Wenger himself is unfazed by the board's division over his contract situation and is more worried about the fan's division and worries that it may impact on the team.
    Many board members have lost faith in Stan Kroenke, no aggressive desire to get rid of him, but would perhaps like to see a change of ownership, not necessarily after Alisher Usmanov, though.
    Alisher Usmanov's initial bid of ?1,000,000,000 to Stan Kroenke was considerably more than what was reported in the press.
    Despite reports, the fan's chants during the Everton game of asking for Kroenke to leave, he and his family were not affected by the chants and continue to "remain committed to the club".
    Gazidis has said that there will be changes at the club, we will see them over the course of the summer, as per his statement after Wenger's contract announcement.
    There will be no Director of Football at Arsenal, although they are looking into the possibility of someone to handle all of the contract negotiations and the scouting and analytical side of things.
    Arsenal have an incredibly high wage bill. The wage bill MAY be the highest for a club outside of the UEFA Champions League. They need to comply with the Premier League's wage rulings and the UEFA ones too.
    Movement on player contracts were on hold while Wenger's contract situation was dealt with, Alexis S?nchez and Mesut ?zil's contracts will be resumed soon, no movement at all on Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's contract as of yet.
    Wojciech Szczęsny, Jack Wilshere and Kieran Gibbs' contracts are also a hot topic, no clue if they will stay at the club.
    A lot of changes need to happen regarding the wage structure at the club, too many players taking up the wage budget that need to be sold. Arsenal's issues have never been around meeting the valuations of the players that they are linked with, but more meeting their wage demands, which could see the wage budget increase considerably, depending on player sales.
    Arsenal are looking to invest heavily this summer, the transfer budget is believed to be around ?150,000,000, which is a ?40,000,000 increase on last summer's transfer budget.
    Sead Kola?inac is almost essentially a done deal, has been done for some time, with his medical being done, too, just waiting on announcements, Henry Onyekuru's ?6,800,000 deal from K.A.S. Eupen is completely fabricated, he has heard nothing regarding this and is not convinced that Arsenal has made an offer.
    Arsenal need to focus on contract negotiations and summer signings as soon as possible.
    No movement on other Arsenal staff members contracts, Arsenal refusing to comment on their progress, unknown if the contracts are tied to Wenger's future.
    Seems like a busy summer at the Emirates Stadium is expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

What players are on the way out? Ospina possibly along with Perez. Dont see us recouping too much for them. Is Campbell back from loan? He's another who will be sold on. I dont know of too many others that we will sell, it will be interesting to see what the future holds for Woj and Wilshere. Obviously, Sanchez and Ozil are the 2 important ones though

wonga77 wrote: »
    What players are on the way out? Ospina possibly along with Perez. Dont see us recouping too much for them. Is Campbell back from loan? He's another who will be sold on. I dont know of too many others that we will sell, it will be interesting to see what the future holds for Woj and Wilshere. Obviously, Sanchez and Ozil are the 2 important ones though

A new manager may have seen Campbell as a Victor Moses type (for his running rather than diving). Its a pity really.

Kolasinac? Another ****in no-mark. Quick look and he's a LB/LM.

Kolasnic was in the Bundesliga team of the season no mug at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Milan, Chelsea and city were in for him, he must have something about him.

On an unrelated note, I hope the fans can get behind Wenger next season, let's face it we've little option at this point but to do just that. No more planes, no more banners, just get behind the guy.

Milan, Chelsea and city were in for him, he must have something about him.

On an unrelated note, I hope the fans can get behind Wenger next season, let's face it we've little option at this point but to do just that. No more planes, no more banners, just get behind the guy.

The first 3 games will be vitally important. Anything less than 7 points will be a killer for fans.

Edited to add: Charity shield would be nice, but I think he can get away with losing it as long as we're not trounced.

It's against Chelsea should be another cracker either way

https://twitter.com/RBairner/status/870380513655128064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redcafe.net%2Ftransfer-tweets%2F%3Flast_read%3D1496345417

Pinch of salt and all that, but i don't think that'll be enough even if it's true.

Greizmann's got a €100 release clause though :D

We won't sign any of those 3 far too ambitious

I'll believe when i see it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement