Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

DOn't think he's anywhere near good enough for Barca at the moment.

There aren't many attacking fullbacks better than him in world football imo. I know he had a poor season last season, but I think he would be tailor made for that Barcelona side.

He has six years left on his deal, so either keep him or get a ridiculous fee for him. I can't see him being sold this summer though as I don't think Barcelona will be able to blow a huge chunk of their budget on a rb. Unless of course Arsenal are stupid enough to accept an inevitable low ball offer from Barcelona. We did it with Fabregas, so I hope they learned from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

irishman86 wrote: »
    I agree but hes better than what they currently have

agreed - he's far better than some of the defenders they've bought recently - Digne and Umtiti for example - not to mention Mathieu!

Bellerin created a crazy amount of chances last season, from memory. Imagine how many assists that would mean with Barca's front 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Basil3 wrote: »
    Bellerin created a crazy amount of chances last season, from memory. Imagine how many assists that would mean with Barca's front 3.

His contract runs until 2023 so unless its an offer of 50m+ Arsenal should tell him he's staying put

FixitFelix wrote: »
    His contract runs until 2023 so unless its an offer of 50m+ Arsenal should tell him he's staying put

Read my post above ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Szczesny being sold to Juventus? Seems a bit mad to me, if Juve think he's good enough to take over from Buffon then surely he'd be worth putting back into the squad and fighting it out with Cech?

Would you rather be fighting it out with Buffon knowing you will win the title and cups and challenge in the CL even if you are second choice. Plus I don't think Szczesny wants to come back and wouldn't be surprised if he pushed for the move. Good luck to him.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Would you rather be fighting it out with Buffon knowing you will win the title and cups and challenge in the CL even if you are second choice. Plus I don't think Szczesny wants to come back and wouldn't be surprised if he pushed for the move. Good luck to him.

I don't think he's a great loss even if we do lose Ospina.

I have a lot of faith in Martinez. He's looked very promising whenever he's played

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

greendom wrote: »

I have a lot of faith in Martinez. He's looked very promising whenever he's played

Ah he's played 13 games total for Arsenal over 5 years. I'd be sickened to lose Schz and Ospina in one window, would be brutal from the club. Can't see it happening.

domrush wrote: »
    Ah he's played 13 games total for Arsenal over 5 years. I'd be sickened to lose Schz and Ospina in one window, would be brutal from the club. Can't see it happening.

Szez promised but never delivered and Ospina wants out. I'd be happy to give Martinez a year as Cech's no 2 to see if he can make himself the no 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Szez promised but never delivered and Ospina wants out. I'd be happy to give Martinez a year as Cech's no 2 to see if he can make himself the no 1.
    I have seen nothing from Martinez to even suggest he is anywhere near Szczesney's level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Don't mind if we sell the two lads. Need a GK though. Cech has had injuries in the past few years and wouldn't fancy Martinez as #1 for a few weeks/months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Well he's clearly delivered in Italy. Juventus are looking to buy him to replace Buffoon, that tells me all I need to know about whether or not we should sell Schz. Think it's mad to sell two great keepers just to buy another. I don't want to go back to the Fabianski and Almunia days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Don't mind if we sell the two lads. Need a GK though. Cech has had injuries in the past few years and wouldn't fancy Martinez as #1 for a few weeks/months.

Would not be the worse thing in the world if we got Joe Hart in for a decent fee, build up his confidence and he can be very consistent.

I think he started to believe his own hype and took his eye off the ball (pardon the pun) but he is a very good keeper and would prefer him the Szec and Ospin TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Based on their times in Serie A, Szczesny all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Would not be the worse thing in the world if we got Joe Hart in for a decent fee, build up his confidence and he can be very consistent.

I think he started to believe his own hype and took his eye off the ball (pardon the pun) but he is a very good keeper and would prefer him the Szec and Ospin TBH.

Joe hart is past his best. He's been poor for a long long time and his season in Italy has been an utter disaster.

For me even Cech isn't good enough. Bring back scez and let himself and Cech fight it out for #1

Osipna has been decent for us but he wants out so let him off.

• Advertisement

still don't think Martinez is the answer and Cech hasn't filled me with confidence. I think we should be looking at Jordan Pickford from Sunderland, going to cost us a bit but the lad looks the real deal. But I be surprised if he wants to come and be back up for Cech.

Joe hart is past his best. He's been poor for a long long time and his season in Italy has been an utter disaster.

For me even Cech isn't good enough. Bring back scez and let himself and Cech fight it out for #1

Osipna has been decent for us but he wants out so let him off.

I think we would bring Scez back but I honestly feel it's him wanting out, a big move to CL runners up and the best team in Italy, where Buffon probably is in his last season. That side has a few more titles and Cups plus CL runs in them. Plus I'm sure he's enjoying life in Italy, why come back to a side where lets be honest it probably won't be winning the PL title, might have a cup run and Europa league football.

We can add GK to the Summer buys that we need.

Looper007 wrote: »
    still don't think Martinez is the answer and Cech hasn't filled me with confidence. I think we should be looking at Jordan Pickford from Sunderland, going to cost us a bit but the lad looks the real deal. But I be surprised if he wants to come and be back up for Cech.

I think Cech had a poor run coinciding with poor form throughout the team but he had an excellent end to season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I'm Baaaack!

Just wanted to say how much I absolutely loved that fantastic FA cup win. That reminded me of why I love this club so much. I loved the f**k out of that fully.

As for Wenger? F**k all I can do about it, not happy at all, but he's here for 2 years now, I'll get behind the team any time I get over to see them. COYG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

agreed - he's far better than some of the defenders they've bought recently - Digne and Umtiti for example - not to mention Mathieu!

Id actually rank Umtiti on par with him, very good with the chance of becoming brilliant.

• Advertisement

Based on their times in Serie A, Szczesny all day.

One played for Roma, the other played for Torino

One played for Roma, the other played for Torino

That is indeed correct.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Sell Scez he's not good enough and still isint like to see how many clean sheets he'd have in the premiership he's not good enough and never will be in my eyes, get rid of Ospina too and bring in Pickford or Butland all a waste of time really as Wenger has said he won't be buying a goalkeeper regardless who leaves.

Sell Scez he's not good enough and still isint like to see how many clean sheets he'd have in the premiership he's not good enough and never will be in my eyes, get rid of Ospina too and bring in Pickford or Butland all a waste of time really as Wenger has said he won't be buying a goalkeeper regardless who leaves.

Well that's that sorted then.

That is indeed correct.

:confused:

Its easier to look decent playing for a top team rather than a midtable team in goal.

Szcezney has played well for Roma the past two years, a team that has finished runners up both times I think. He also has been a good keeper for Arsenal in the premier league for a few seasons until that smoking in the showers thing.

I'd rather tie him down to a new deal and let him fight with Cech in preseason for the number one jersey. Obviously if he doesn't sign a new deal then he should be sold.

Pickford and Butland would cost a bomb and haven't exactly proven themselves at the highest level I.E upper premier league and champions league. I'd rather keep the money and go with what we have.
    I'd take a punt on Pickford if we sell Ospina and Szcezney though. However Martinez looks to be a good prospect too.

Long story short, basically I don't think goalkeeper is a pressing need for us, quite a good spot to be in after the Almunia years.

Its easier to look decent playing for a top team rather than a midtable team in goal.

I completely disagree with that. It's arguably easier to look decent in a mid table or struggling team as you are kept busier with shots and tend to make more saves. A big part of goalkeeping is concentration and being able to make that one save after being kept quiet all game.

It's why I would be wary of judging Pickford. He played in a terrible Sunderland team and could showcase his shotstopping as he was kept really busy. If he was at a better team, he would have a different kind of pressure and mistakes with concentration would be even more scrutinised at a club like Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

One of the things with Pickford is that he has terrible distribution. Quite often his clearances go straight out of play in his own half or straight to an opposition player.

He is a great shot stopper but at a club like arsenal you need more.

Arguable. All too often a keeper looks great for a lower side, goes to a bigger team and is nowhere near the standard required (Mignolet for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Arguable. All too often a keeper looks great for a lower side, goes to a bigger team and is nowhere near the standard required (Mignolet for example).

Or Richard Wright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

wawaman wrote: »
    Or Richard Wright

Mister lapse in concentration himself

I completely disagree with that. It's arguably easier to look decent in a mid table or struggling team as you are kept busier with shots and tend to make more saves. A big part of goalkeeping is concentration and being able to make that one save after being kept quiet all game.

It's why I would be wary of judging Pickford. He played in a terrible Sunderland team and could showcase his shotstopping as he was kept really busy. If he was at a better team, he would have a different kind of pressure and mistakes with concentration would be even more scrutinised at a club like Arsenal.

I will in turn use Valdes as a example for a keeper who was over rated purely as he played for Barcelona
    Hart at City showed he was a top keeper, playing last season in a mid table team he wasnt as bad as some are saying.
    He had a few mistakes but over all was a good signing

I guess it can be argued both ways then :pac:
    Either way I rate Hart higher than Szczęsny

I guess it can be argued both ways then :pac:
    Either way I rate Hart higher than Szczęsny
    If Hart wasn't English he wouldn't have ever made it near a top team in England, or anywhere for that matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Just noticed this on the twitter machine

https://twitter.com/HectorBellerin/status/872844575194435584

Quazzie wrote: »
    If Hart wasn't English he wouldn't have ever made it near a top team in England, or anywhere for that matter

Thats just not true. He is a fine keeper far better than Mignolet at Liverpool for example and the goalie that Everton play. Because he is English he gets underrated here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I see Jeremy Wilson in the Telegraph is quoting Sanchez as saying " his future now rests on talks between his agent and Arsenal"

Whilst that's obviously the case, it doesn't really give any hint of commitment towards the club.

I see Jeremy Wilson in the Telegraph is quoting Sanchez as saying " his future now rests on talks between his agent and Arsenal"

Whilst that's obviously the case, it doesn't really give any hint of commitment towards the club.
    There is no commitment from his side. He came from Chile to play football and earn money. Where he does that, doesn't matter to him. He definitely didn't grow up in Chile dreaming of one day playing for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭DvB

All the talk of trophies & CL football suchlike is nonsense from 9/10 players. They'll go to who pays the most IMO. If a player gets more money at his current club than anyone else is offering he'll stay, simple as IMO.

Do you think a player will move to the likes of Bayern Munich/Juventus for less money so he can potentially win a couple of medals? If he was of the opinion he was already set up for life financially then why are wages so important? If anyone was that set up then I could see the attraction of moving to win stuff, easily in fact, but if you were that well financially set up why bother making reference to wages at all, it would be the attraction of the bidding club & its ability to challenge for the big trophies, not its pay packet that would be the deciding factor surely?

With Sanchez though its a hard call, is he part of the 9/10 that just wants as much money as possible, or is he the 1/10 that feels he has the financial freedom to just move to allow greater success on the pitch & a challenge for the big trophies? I know to the fans all these top players are wealthy & set up, but yet salary demands play a huge part in all contract negotiations, so it clearly remains a huge factor.

Thing is will arsenal pay up?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Really hope we keep Sanchez, I would sacrifice Ozil to keep him. Hell sell Ozil and give Alexis his wages lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Sanchez is as good as gone imo, think Ozil will stay.

Mark the calendar guys. Today is the sad day that the club is without Sanogo. We will be at a loss for him having moved on. I'm sure he'll tear it up at whatever French third tier side he ends up at.

YAYA SANOGO 2013-2017

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I remember the summer of 2013. I spent so many days practising how to properly say Higuain only to discover it was pronounced Sanogo.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Costa Anyone???? Would love if he signed an absolute b*****d like Costa, he showed in the hunt for vardy last year that he is not totally averse to the idea of a signing of this ilk. Would it make Sanchez, ozil etc reconsider????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

dibs101 wrote: »
    Costa Anyone???? Would love if he signed an absolute b*****d like Costa, he showed in the hunt for vardy last year that he is not totally averse to the idea of a signing of this ilk. Would it make Sanchez, ozil etc reconsider????

The enemy of my enemy (the Portugese snake) is my friend.

Come on in, Diego. Make yourself at home.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    The enemy of my enemy (the Portugese snake) is my friend.

Come on in, Diego. Make yourself at home.

I cant stand that Costa. He's despicable. Mourinho on the pitch if you like. I dont buy this unquenchable 'will to win' bullsh1t either. You can have a terrific will to win and still behave yourself and play the game honestly and fairly.

Anyways he probably would never make the pitch with Robbie Holding continously marking him out of it in training. :pac:

Mr 'Chat sh1t-Get banged' (Copyright Jamie Vardy 2017) can stay where he is too along with his bint of a missus. Himself and Mahrez were nowhere to be seen until Ranieri was sacked. Kante probably made both of them look better then they were doing all the hard yards for them

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Like him or not Costa is a winner and a very aggressive tough player I'd take him with welcome arms regardless of his rep he's the only person I could see fitting straight in and banging in goals from the get go prem proven it's exactly what we need and would soften Alexis leaving the lad certainly knows where the goals are.

Like him or not Costa is a winner and a very aggressive tough player I'd take him with welcome arms regardless of his rep he's the only person I could see fitting straight in and banging in goals from the get go prem proven it's exactly what we need and would soften Alexis leaving the lad certainly knows where the goals are.

Going back to what Rocky Rocastle said 'Remember who you are, where you are and what you represent'. Does this guy fit this ethos? Absolutely not.

Im sick of scurrilous behaviour of a modern day footballer being described as some amazing quality. Same with Suarez, an outstanding player but a pup. These players dont need to act like this to prove they have desire. Dennis Bergkamp certainly didnt

Going back to what Rocky Rocastle said 'Remember who you are, where you are and what you represent'. Does this guy fit this ethos? Absolutely not.

Im sick of scurrilous behaviour of a modern day footballer being described as some amazing quality. Same with Suarez, an outstanding player but a pup. These players dont need to act like this to prove they have desire. Dennis Bergkamp certainly didnt

Ah now I remember Dennis had a temper of his own, loved a good sneaky elbow.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement