Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

Ah now I remember Dennis had a temper of his own, loved a good sneaky elbow.

The difference is Dennis was returning the favour with interest against the likes of those horrible Yugoslavian scamps. Costa gets his in first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I cant stand that Costa. He's despicable. Mourinho on the pitch if you like. I dont buy this unquenchable 'will to win' bullsh1t either. You can have a terrific will to win and still behave yourself and play the game honestly and fairly.

Anyways he probably would never make the pitch with Robbie Holding continously marking him out of it in training. :pac:

And you can be sure that all the crap he gets away with as a Chelsea player would be punished if he played for Arsenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Spot on. One of the reasons I support and love Arsenal is the ethos and standards we uphold. I'm aware that we've won f*** all using this ethos, but we will again I'm sure of it.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Spot on. One of the reasons I support and love Arsenal is the ethos and standards we uphold. I'm aware that we've won f*** all using this ethos, but we will again I'm sure of it.

I realise we need battlers who stand up for themselves but there is a fine line between battlers and absolute scummy behaviour on the field. Anyways Costa is so firmly stuck in Robbie Holdings pocket he practically is an Arsenal player :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

There's like a 1% chance or less of players like Costa or Zlatan joining us. I f*cking hate transfer season. Blah blah blah, never so much shíte spoken and written. Soap opera shíte.

OMG what a strike from Giroud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

greendom wrote: »
    OMG what a strike from Giroud!

Lovely strike....He will be like a new signing for us:rolleyes:

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Lovely strike....He will be like a new signing for us:rolleyes:

I like Giroud. Id keep him as a squad player for sure. He won us the cup with his assist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

I like Giroud. Id keep him as a squad player for sure. He won us the cup with his assist.

Ah yeh I like him too,scores some important goals....just preparing myself for the excuses of why no forward was signed:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

For the money Costa would cost transfer and wages wise, we would be much better of getting a younger proven striker and build the team around him. With the likes of Morata, Aubameyany & Mbappe all looking like they are in the market for 50-80M that is what we need to be hunting for, and with a passion.

If we get a WORLD CLASS striker in it will BREED confidence throughout the team.

But knowing Wenger it will be Edin Zeko or Manzukic or some bollocks!

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    For the money Costa would cost transfer and wages wise, we would be much better of getting a younger proven striker and build the team around him. With the likes of Morata, Aubameyany & Mbappe all looking like they are in the market for 50-80M that is what we need to be hunting for, and with a passion.

If we get a WORLD CLASS striker in it will BREED confidence throughout the team.

But knowing Wenger it will be Edin Zeko or Manzukic or some bollocks!

How proven is Mbappe?

How good is Morata?

How much younger than Costa is Aubameyang?

None of them really fall into the younger, proven category for me....although I'd take any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Id rather Dzeko than Morata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I saw Dennis whip the flag out of the lino's hand when he was caught offside in a game a Highbury. He just flung it on the ground.

Jesus knows how he didn't get hammered for it.

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

For those who missed Giroud's goal. :eek:

He missed a tap-in of a header literally two minutes beforehand!

https://twitter.com/SportsJOE_UK/status/873262751493304320

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Jesus tonight. What a strike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Thats ridiculously good technique, he's infuriating at times but I do like him and hope we hold onto him. What we really need more than anything is a poacher type player who can poke them home. Giroud offers something different to that and for that reason alone Id hang onto him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

He starts up front for France and has as many goals now as Benzema from far less games. I would like a better striker brought in to start ahead of him alright, but you'd be mad to sell Giroud unless he was unhappy with his role in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I saw Dennis whip the flag out of the lino's hand when he was caught offside in a game a Highbury. He just flung it on the ground.

Jesus knows how he didn't get hammered for it.

I was at that game too. Good times :Dhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2364250/Arsenal-reassured-by-Henry.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Lots of talk of Giroud leaving if we get a world class striker. Honestly is there a better goals per minute striker out there right now? Seems he scored every time he came off the bench last season. I'd keep him, he's a fantastic plan b.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    How proven is Mbappe?

How good is Morata?

How much younger than Costa is Aubameyang?

None of them really fall into the younger, proven category for me....although I'd take any of them.

In his first full season Mbappe scored 15 goals in 29 app in the league and 26 goals in 44 apps in all comps. That is impressive, yes the french league is not as intense but there in no doubt the chap is quality. His pace and movement are excellent and better then what we have up front bar Sanchez who is more then likely leaving.

In fairness I taught Aubameyang (27) was younger then Costa (28) by a few years but for me is a better player, I dont like the way Costa disrupts the team and its all about him with the stupid antics. He is a quality striker but I would prefer the pace and mentality of Pierre.

Morata (24) never gets a good crack of the whip in La Liga and is up against some very good players in the Madrid squad. Last year he played 25 games and scored 15 goals in the league.

My point being I would prefer a young hungry striker with a good mentality over Costa. Not that we are going to get any of them.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

In his first full season Mbappe scored 15 goals in 29 app in the league and 26 goals in 44 apps in all comps. That is impressive, yes the french league is not as intense but there in no doubt the chap is quality. His pace and movement are excellent and better then what we have up front bar Sanchez who is more then likely leaving.

In fairness I taught Aubameyang (27) was younger then Costa (28) by a few years but for me is a better player, I dont like the way Costa disrupts the team and its all about him with the stupid antics. He is a quality striker but I would prefer the pace and mentality of Pierre.

Morata (24) never gets a good crack of the whip in La Liga and is up against some very good players in the Madrid squad. Last year he played 25 games and scored 15 goals in the league.

My point being I would prefer a young hungry striker with a good mentality over Costa. Not that we are going to get any of them.....;)

He'd better have all of them lined up to stop the rioting if he sells Sanchez to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mbappe is the player to be after but we'll never get him. Scored in his first 5 (?) knockout games of the CL, incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Looks like Morata is off to Salford Reds as well so that rules him out.

Messi or Ronaldo it is then.

Knowing our luck he will be back in for Vardy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Ox played really well tonight, not saying he's always first choice but he's a powerhouse who's committed and should be given a good deal. Hate to lose him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ox played really well tonight, not saying he's always first choice but he's a powerhouse who's committed and should be given a good deal. Hate to lose him.

He seems to be having more of an effect on games in the last 6 months. I was very impressed with his ability to switch around positions this season.
    He went from attacking midfielder, to right wing back to left wing back for the cup final.

He is in love with that sort out of little mix (perri), deffo getting his end away so playing like a man on fire. Give your women a contract to keep putting out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Gnabry off too Munich

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Gnabry off too Munich

Yeah I just saw him announce it on twitter. Had a clause in his contract apparently. Remember hearing stuff last year saying that he was Bayern bound the following season.

Yeah I just saw him announce it on twitter. Had a clause in his contract apparently. Remember hearing stuff last year saying that he was Bayern bound the following season.

Arse! Do we stand to gain financially?

• Advertisement

Who cares? At most it'd be a couple of million, we let him go for ?5 million so I doubt there's a massive sell-on clause.

No but we'll be beaten with our own stick next time we draw Bayern... perhaps two of our own sticks :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gnabry off too Munich

One player a lot of us said we should hold onto. A mistake to let him go imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

One player a lot of us said we should hold onto. A mistake to let him go imo.

He was determined to move with a year to go on his contract after being injured for the previous 2 years almost. Not much that could have been done about it unfortunately.

He was determined to move with a year to go on his contract after being injured for the previous 2 years almost. Not much that could have been done about it unfortunately.

The Chelsea method of loaning him or putting a buy back option into his contract might have been wise here. Easy to speak after the fact i suppose.

Its annoying how Bayern Munich can cherry pick the best players from their rival clubs. They are supposedly a 'Bank of Germany' type club

The Chelsea method of loaning him or putting a buy back option into his contract might have been wise here. Easy to speak after the fact i suppose.
    Really letting the club off the hook there. They let him go for nothing because they had no plans for him.
    Its annoying how Bayern Munich can cherry pick the best players from their rival clubs. They are supposedly a 'Bank of Germany' type club
    Meh, they're the biggest and most successful club. People want to play for them.

Really letting the club off the hook there. They let him go for nothing because they had no plans for him.

Meh, they're the biggest and most successful club. People want to play for them

They are big and successful mainly because their rivals keep selling to them. There is many other clubs outside of Germany that surely they could sell to.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1433597/borussia-dortmunds-aki-watzke-bayern-munich-didnt-bail-us-out

They are big and successful mainly because their rivals keep selling to them. There is many other clubs outside of Germany that surely they could sell to.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1433597/borussia-dortmunds-aki-watzke-bayern-munich-didnt-bail-us-out
    Clubs' own faults. Hold out for more, simple really. Most clubs are dying to sell to PL clubs for the ridiculous fees they can pay so if they choose to allow clauses in contracts to go to Bayern for feck all it's their own fault.

I take it back and eat my own words......I would rather have Szech then Joe "Wash n Go" Hart!!!!

Terrible Performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I take it back and eat my own words......I would rather have Szech then Joe "Wash n Go" Hart!!!!

Terrible Performance.
    Buffon has been quoted at the weekend saying he'll stay for another year, but doesn't feel under pressure as Donnarumma will do a good job in the national team and Szczesny will do a good job for Juventus after he is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Everton and Sunderland agree ?30m fee for Pickford.

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Everton and Sunderland agree ?30m fee for Pickford.

Madness.

:eek: that is madness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

It's being reported online and on twitter etc. that the Arsenal backroom staff are all getting new deals. So no changes in the coaching methods etc. I don't think anyone is really surprised though.

Pickford going for £30m is madness alright, but it's just the way the market is at the moment. Begs the question why we are reportedly going to let Ospina go for £3m and Szez for £15m. Cech only has a couple of more seasons in him probably, so it will be pricey to get someone else in, unless Martinez comes good.

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

If someone like Pickford is going for £30m and we let Szczesny go for half that, I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

x PyRo wrote: »
    If someone like Pickford is going for £30m and we let Szczesny go for half that, I give up.

Our Commercial/Sales team is sh**e

At this rate Flapianski is worth 50m.....We need this fella at the club, making goals litterally out of NOTHING!!!

It's being reported that there is to be no Director of Football appointed due to resistance from Wenger. Not good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

It's being reported that there is to be no Director of Football appointed due to resistance from Wenger. Not good!

Are any of us surprised? It'll be back to service as usual. We put in a 100million euro mid for Mbappe, which was apparently less than what Madrid were offering at the time (depending what newspaper you read), if this was the case they knew it wasn't going to happen so it was an empty gesture. I'd love to be proven wrong but odds on we lose Alexis and buy sweet fa during the summer. There'll be people who say oh no that could never happen, the fans will go mad etc. Well that happened last season and Wenger just signed a two year contract so the f*cks given by the people in charge seem to be slim to nil.

Spend the whole summer missing watching Arsenal and the premiership only to begin the cycle of being frustrated as hell watching us start the season poorly or go to ****e in January. Rinse repeat. As I say love proven wrong but highly doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Matt Scott of the Guardian & Talksport has just tweeted that 'he has been told by a good source' that Sanchez has asked to leave. Claims to have tried his agent but no reply as yet.

Also now saying that a friend of his is a good mate of Sanchez Agent but the agent staying tight lipped. delay in announcing could be because they want him to hand in a formal transfer request as it will save on bonuses.

Now could be more speculation, but this guy normally doesn't hint at anything unless he's got good info.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Looking very likely that we will be worse off next season with Sanchez bound to leave. As someone already said "rinse and repeat" yet again.
    Really hope i'm wrong but history is on mt side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement