Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Is Chad Forsyth gone?

They are to work together, I understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

emmetlego wrote: »
    Well winning obviously! But a certain style is a must IMO

Yeah, it just seems strange to me. I mean some people were advocating we should sign Costa or Lewandowski as a striker as they are people who would win games. The only problem I have with that is that Costa is a filthy player and Lewansdowski is one of the biggest divers and cheats in the game but as long as they would score goals, that would be ok and the style thing goes out the window.

However, if you suggest that we try crossing the ball to Giroud, to exploit one of his talents, that is absolutely abhorrent and goes against the Arsenal style of play, even though it might win us games.

It's not as if crossing the ball to a player automatically means we are adopting Pulis or even Mourinho type football tactics and it can still be done with style, but for some it seems as bad as these two examples.

I just don't see where the line is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Looking like Bellerin to barca is edging closer :( he has a new house bought on the catalan coast

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/818704/Hector-Bellerin-Barcelona-Arsenal-Catalan-house-family-Spain-Transfer-News-Gossip-News

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Looking like Bellerin to barca is edging closer :( he has a new house bought on the catalan coast

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/818704/Hector-Bellerin-Barcelona-Arsenal-Catalan-house-family-Spain-Transfer-News-Gossip-News

wouldn't read too much into that. He's 22 and may well feel he doesn't need the support of his family any more. They're moving back to Catalunya and he's bought them a house to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Imagine believing what the tabloids say!!!

He is on a very long term contract and is well paid and recently tweeted something along the lines of 'don't believe everything you read' when the red top rags were linking him with Barca! He's ours and I'm confident of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Imagine believing what the tabloids say!!!

He is on a very long term contract and is well paid and recently tweeted something along the lines of 'don't believe everything you read' when the red top rags were linking him with Barca! He's ours and I'm confident of that

But that goes against the 'everything is sh1t' ethos of the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

You can always tell when the transfer window opens as the Arsenal thread drops to the second page 😓

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You can always tell when the transfer window opens as the Arsenal thread drops to the second page 😓
    Another 10 days to go.

On a brighter side...new kit launch today, can't be arsed to google it, anyone got a linky

• Advertisement

On a brighter side...new kit launch today, can't be arsed to google it, anyone got a linky

Launched with Özil, Sanchez and Giroud....lol!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4624544/Arsenal-launch-2017-18-home-kit.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Arsenal-Puma-Home-Shirt-201718.jpg

Far as I can see, it's mostly the same as last year, except that they've removed the ill-advised "nappy stripe" down the front.

More here

CatInABox wrote: »
    Arsenal-Puma-Home-Shirt-201718.jpg

Far as I can see, it's mostly the same as last year, except that they've removed the ill-advised "nappy stripe" down the front.

More here

Looks slightly darker & extra trim on the collar, but other than that pretty much the same. Could potentially be without all three players next season though :rolleyes:

No, because that's just one idle laziness!

I like the look of it personally, but I won't be buying it. Last seasons will do me still thanks very much! Unless we sell Ozil, then I'll buy a new one with Mbappe on it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Puma are just the worst.

Another rotten jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

No, because that's just one idle laziness!

I like the look of it personally, but I won't be buying it. Last seasons will do me still thanks very much! Unless we sell Ozil, then I'll buy a new one with Mbappe on it :-)

I like the look of it n have my Ozil jersey too.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Is it 2018/19 we change to Adidas?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I really liked the original puma jerseys a few years ago. That home jersey is quite nice, but it's so plain. The away and third jerseys for this following season aren't great though. Nothing Arsenal about them.

interesting article (in French) about Mbappe.

http://m.leparisien.fr/sports/football/psg/mercato-dans-la-tete-du-prodige-mbappe-21-06-2017-7072554.php

Essentially it states that his goal is to be playing for Barca or Real Madrid by the age of 22. He's happy enough to play for another club before then.

Would we mind being a stepping stone to get his prodigious talents for 3 - 4 years?

The article was very positive about his chances of joining Arsenal with Wenger being a major advantage. Playing in the Europa next season wouldn't be a problem.

quote from his "family"

"Si demain Kylian signe à Arsenal, ce sera pour lui (Arsene Wenger). Il sait façonner les jeunes et tout particulièrement les anciens attaquants de l'Equipe de France, Thierry Henry et Nicolas Anelka. Ne disputer que la Ligue Europa n'est pas un obstacle en soi."

If he signs for Arsenal it will be because of Wenger. He knows how to mould young players and in particular the former french forwards, Henry and Anelka. There's no question of the Europa league proving to be an obstacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Designing an Arsenal jersey appears to be the easiest job in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

greendom wrote: »
    Would we mind being a stepping stone to get his prodigious talents for 3 - 4 years?

For arguements sake, say we signed him for €100m and he stayed for 4 years. In those 4 years we win a title and sell him at 22 for €150m.

No brainer really.

• Advertisement

Its a pathetic attempt. Even the template Nike jerseys we had from 98-2014 were for the most part nice jerseys. Puma are putting in even less effort than nike. Slickly sickening that Chelsea and Spurs are now Nike from next season on... but Chelsea's away kit and spurs home kit are EXACTLY the same.

wawaman wrote: »
    For arguements sake, say we signed him for €100m and he stayed for 4 years. In those 4 years we win a title and sell him at 22 for €150m.

No brainer really.

Sign on 4 year contract, allow him to leave on a free after 4 years is more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

wawaman wrote: »

No brainer really.
    How would we get £150M for him where there are only 2 clubs that can buy him. If they decide between themselves to start the bidding at £50M or even worse, one of them decide they don't need him, then we are rightly screwed./

Quazzie wrote: »
    How would we get £150M for him where there are only 2 clubs that can buy him. If they decide between themselves to start the bidding at £50M or even worse, one of them decide they don't need him, then we are rightly screwed./
    History would say the opposite.
    Rael, Barca, Man City and Chelsea would be in for the top players.
    The only problem i'd see is if he flopped altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I liked last seasons jersey so picked it up for €30 last week. Will do me for a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

keano_afc wrote: »
    I liked last seasons jersey so picked it up for ?30 last week. Will do me for a couple of years.

I got the away one for 20 a few weeks ago, think it's the first in-season shirt I've bought for 10 years.

History would say the opposite.
    Rael, Barca, Man City and Chelsea would be in for the top players.
    The only problem i'd see is if he flopped altogether.
    No. History isn't the opposite, or are you forgetting the poor deals we got when both Fabregas and Henry only wanted Barcelona. We were were shafted on both those deals and when the player has decided where he wants to go, then we are notorious for not getting market value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Arsenal Jersey Designer: "Okay Mr Kroenke, thank you for giving me this time to present the new jersey to you and the board..."

Stan: "Hold it, just tell me is it different enough to last seasons to get these fans to buy it?"

Arsenal Jersey Designer: "Well, yes, it's got..."

Stan: "Great. Get out."

No. History isn't the opposite, or are you forgetting the poor deals we got when both Fabregas and Henry only wanted Barcelona. We were were shafted on both those deals and when the player has decided where he wants to go, then we are notorious for not getting market value.
    I believe it was more to do with our poor negotiatiers. Look at how Liverpool conducted the Suarez transfer.

I believe it was more to do with our poor negotiatiers. Look at how Liverpool conducted the Suarez transfer.
    Have we replaced them poor negotiators?

• Advertisement

Have we replaced them poor negotiators?

Someone was appointed to that area from Team Sky earlier this week...
    www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/19/arsenal-backroom-shuffle-continues-signing-new-legal-expert/amp/

greendom wrote: »
    Someone was appointed to that area from Team Sky this week

Nice one. EPO for all the players it is then!

Nice one. EPO for all the players it is then!

A few of em would want something stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

so whats new since the season ended?

has sanchez and ozil gone yet?

have we brought a world class player yet?

so whats new since the season ended?

has sanchez and ozil gone yet?

have we brought a world class player yet?

Another 10 days to go.
    10 days? mor like 6-8 weeks to go

Window officially opens July 1st. We've already signed one player, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Basil3 wrote: »

Window officially opens July 1st. We've already signed one player, though.

Is it not already open? What's all this about from Sky then? http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12691/10862752/when-does-the-transfer-window-open

L'prof wrote: »
    Is it not already open? What's all this about from Sky then? http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12691/10862752/when-does-the-transfer-window-open

There goes my excuse for no activity in the market :D

• Advertisement

Just because it's quiet doesn't mean we're not busy... I actually think Mbappe is a strong possibility. The sounds coming from ex-players and his family is all very positive! He'd be a huge signing. Lamar also. 2 superb young talents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Just because it's quiet doesn't mean we're not busy... I actually think Mbappe is a strong possibility. The sounds coming from ex-players and his family is all very positive! He'd be a huge signing. Lamar also. 2 superb young talents.

Who is Lamar? this is the first I've heard of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Who is Lamar? this is the first I've heard of him.

Thomas Lemar, Monaco winger/wide attacker. Had a very good season last year, Spurs also sniffing around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Chelsea & Arsenal donating their fee for the community shield to the Grenfell Tower support fund, nice gesture by both clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Plenty of sources claiming we are nearly done with Lacazette with a potential deal next week for 40+ million

Soups123 wrote: »
    Plenty of sources claiming we are nearly done with Lacazette with a potential deal next week for 40+ million

Hopefully he's not a replacement for Sanchez. If not one of Welbeck Giroud or Walcott will have to leave unless he's the Perez replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Does this end any potential Mbappe interest then I wonder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Ideally you'd hope its a replacement for Perez but realistically its Sanchez replacement i think either that or Giroud is going sad to see OG leave but if its between him or Sanchez to go il drive him back to France myself. This ends mbappe most definitley but i never believed mbappe rumours in the first place. Wenger doing his buissness early this year is good to see and 2 good signings pending we sign lacazette but it means nothing if we cant keep Sanchez as i said before our most important bit of buissness this summer is keeping Sanchez id even sacrifice Ozil if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think Giroud has to stay he is a plan B, reckon it's Perez or Sanchez if it happens.

Not sure who good he really is, the French league is hard to gauge for strikers

We simply have to keep Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I agree, we really need to build on the squad we have not sell a quality player and replace him with a quality player....we need to add quality to what we have. Sanchez is a moody little ****er but we have to keep him, one season out of the CL is not going to kill him.

If we make some good signings then surely that will prove we are moving forwards albeit under Wenger.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement