Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

We simply have to keep Sanchez.

Apparently PSG and Bayern Munich have ended their interest and I can't see us selling to a premier league club so I'm reasonably optimistic. Really hope we can get him to sign a new contract even with a release fee for next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Was reading online there also that if we do indeed keep Ozil and Sanchez with new contracts we are dangerously close to breaking the PL wage sanctions??? Even more so if Lacazette arrives.....will deffo have to offload Giroud and Perez amongst others.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Was reading online there also that if we do indeed keep Ozil and Sanchez with new contracts we are dangerously close to breaking the PL wage sanctions??? Even more so if Lacazette arrives.....will deffo have to offload Giroud and Perez amongst others.

Where does that leave city and united?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

greendom wrote: »
    Where does that leave city and united?

I was going to say how are we even close, I think Sanchez stays myself, I think we'll pay him his dues. Keeping him and adding real class is huge.

Selling the non performers we have would accumulate so noise monies and make some good savings on the wage front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Walcott is supposedly on £130k a week. Getting rid of him would solve a few problems.

Walcott is supposedly on £130k a week. Getting rid of him would solve a few problems.

If that's true, it's absolutely mental. Talk about dead money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He's been stealing a living for years. Mr Anonymous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Wilshere on 90k a week - I'm not a fan, I'd be selling him as well.

marvin80 wrote: »

To be fair to the club in this scenario though we are bound to this ridiculous home quota system where mediocrity has to be rewarded. Surely though our academy should be producing better then these lads?

marvin80 wrote: »

Technically a very good player but legs made of biscuits. That said he managed more games then he normally does last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Jungle drums rumbling that Lacazette deal in the bag & permission given for talks, but one headline that caught my eye was in the UK Independant

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/arsenal-transfer-news-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-liverpool-giroud-wilshere-bellerin-arsene-wenger-a7804351.html

Ox to Liverpool and eight first team players to leave.....

Bit of fun tabloid crap, but excluding Ox (losing him is a travesty) which eight would be on your list

Soups123 wrote: »
    I was going to say how are we even close

This is not where I seen it but you get the idea......cant remember now where I was reading it but could be some truth in it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4632274/Arsenal-breach-Premier-League-wage-control-rules.html

Which eight would be on your list

Honestly....take you pick of this lot.

Martinez (bring back Szczesny)
    Debuchy
    Jenkinson
    Mert (as much as it pains me, coaching role maybe)
    Perez
    Walcott
    Wilshire
    Welbeck
    Campbell
    Chambers
    Akpom

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Whats the story with homegrown quota if we sell Walcott,Wilshire etc do we still meet it? some amount of deadwood in squad stealing a living love to see us signing Butland as first choice Chech is past it and Shez not good enough simple as wouldnt take 16 clean sheets from italian league as anything other than a complimant to the back 4. Jenkinson and Gibbs need to see the door too way to many in this squad get the benifit of the doubt off Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

He's been stealing a living for years. Mr Anonymous.

Can't forget the image of him pulling out of a tackle season before last.

Ere is it just me or was Theo pretty much dropped last season after his comments about the Palace game?

Whats the story with homegrown quota if we sell Walcott,Wilshire etc do we still meet it? some amount of deadwood in squad stealing a living love to see us signing Butland as first choice Chech is past it and Shez not good enough simple as wouldnt take 16 clean sheets from italian league as anything other than a complimant to the back 4. Jenkinson and Gibbs need to see the door too way to many in this squad get the benifit of the doubt off Wenger.

A more telling stat in Italy might be how many shots on target the opposition teams had but i suppose at the same time we must remember that if Buffon kept 16 clean sheets we might not be questioning how good his back four is in front of him. We know they are good but we know he is good too. Scz seems to have never matured. We all laughed when he took selfies on the pitch at White hart lane but deep down it painted a more worrying picture of his maturity as a man and a player even if it was hillarious

A more telling stat in Italy might be how many shots on target the opposition teams had but i suppose at the same time we must remember that if Buffon kept 16 clean sheets we might not be questioning how good his back four is in front of him. We know they are good but we know he is good too. Scz seems to have never matured. We all laughed when he took selfies on the pitch at White hart lane but deep down it painted a more worrying picture of his maturity as a man and a player even if it was hillarious

The more important stat than clean sheets is that he now makes 2.5 saves for every goal. A big increase on the 1.5 he had with us.

Basil3 wrote: »
    The more important stat than clean sheets is that he now makes 2.5 saves for every goal. A big increase on the 1.5 he had with us.

Perhaps he has matured so. i think the italian public are probably a little more unforgiving of goalkeeping or defensive errors perhaps. They pride themselves in those two areas.

Can't forget the image of him pulling out of a tackle season before last.

Ere is it just me or was Theo pretty much dropped last season after his comments about the Palace game?
    He was always a it afraid.
    What was telling was how he could up his performances when his contract negotiations were going on then disappear afterwards again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He was always a it afraid.
    What was telling was how he could up his performances when his contract negotiations were going on then disappear afterwards again.

Much like Sanchez this year tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Quazzie wrote: »

Not sure you can say they are the same to be honest, Sanchez has been way more consistent than Theo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

emmetlego wrote: »
    Not sure you can say they are the same to be honest, Sanchez has been way more consistent than Theo.

Last season he was just above average and certainly not near the level he is playing at now.

Last season he was just above average and certainly not near the level he is playing at now.

Theo was pure rubbish though, my point (pedantic as it sounds) was that Sanchez was far more productive on a more consistent basis, despite the somewhat apparent down turn in form. That's why I suggested they weren't comparable!

Sanchez scored 30 goals this season. His highest tally for us to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Sanchez scored 30 goals this season. His highest tally for us to date.

I thought that was his point? Coming into the last year of his contract but Sanchez is the last person I'd be complaining about at the club. Has been very consistent on the whole

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

So do we take Aguero for Sanchez, if the rumours are true?

Hyzepher wrote: »

I'd take him for Theo.
    Theo is just what City need :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Hyzepher wrote: »

I saw that earlier and was thinking about it. My initial thought was yes, he's exactly what we are missing. But after thinking about it more, I would now say no.

Alexis can carry this team on his own, no way Aguero would do that. Alexis keeps going and going, and tries to lift the team. The same can't be said for Aguero. I really like Aguero but not at the expense of Alexis, for anyone else it would be a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭DvB

jester77 wrote: »
    I saw that earlier and was thinking about it. My initial thought was yes, he's exactly what we are missing. But after thinking about it more, I would now say no.

Alexis can carry this team on his own, no way Aguero would do that. Alexis keeps going and going, and tries to lift the team. The same can't be said for Aguero. I really like Aguero but not at the expense of Alexis, for anyone else it would be a no brainer.

On the basis Sanchez wants out I'd say yes to the swap. No point keeping a player who wants to leave & if Aguero genuinely fancies it I'd have him in a heartbeat.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Yeah, we can wax lyrical about Sanchez all day long but if he doesnt want to stay then get rid. Obviously its not a problem with the league if he stays in PL but a major problem with the mentality of the club and manager. Shame we could not have lit a fire under Wengers arse 2 yrs ago.

Really prefer for him to go abroad for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement

And the rumours of Mbappe and Lemar trundle on. They're not dying off!

This really is NOT a case of no smoke without fire!!!!

Zero chance, sure we cant even close the Lacazette deal ****ing around on price and he will get away or just not bother his arse. We learn nothing, pay the money and move on ffs.

This really is NOT a case of no smoke without fire!!!!

Zero chance, sure we cant even close the Lacazette deal ****ing around on price and he will get away or just not bother his arse. We learn nothing, pay the money and move on ffs.

For what it's worth I think the Lacazette deal is closer than we think and the fact his agent hasn't poo poo'd the talk only ads credulity to it. He's notoriously verbal !.

Mbappe I doubt - both in size of fee and his desire to join us. I think he's posturing for more cash and using us as hair.

Lemar is possible if we sign Lacazette.

For what it's worth I think the Lacazette deal is closer than we think and the fact his agent hasn't poo poo'd the talk only ads credulity to it. He's notoriously verbal !.

Mbappe I doubt - both in size of fee and his desire to join us. I think he's posturing for more cash and using us as hair.

I don't know any of these players as I don't watch European football BUT i can't see Arsenal paying anything near 60 million for an 18 year old. It's all bulls**t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lyon have just signed Traore from us so I'd say that paves the way for Lacazette to leave Lyon.

L'prof wrote: »
    I thought that was his point? Coming into the last year of his contract but Sanchez is the last person I'd be complaining about at the club. Has been very consistent on the whole

Sanchez always wants to win though. His body language cuts a figure of a man who is frustrated by the mediocrity around him which tbh i dont like to see but he is a very driven player

I don't know any of these players as I don't watch European football BUT i can't see Arsenal paying anything near 60 million for an 18 year old. It's all bulls**t.

They paid 30m for Pickford...anything is possible a s Lemar is class.

I still don't rule out Giroud being included in the Lacazette deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Lemar would be a very very good signing

Lemar would be a very very good signing

If there is any justice in the world we'll sign him...:pac:

Grabs coat

(See here)

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Lyon have just signed Traore from us so I'd say that paves the way for Lacazette to leave Lyon.

Hopefully he finds a club not called Arsenal...:cool:

• Advertisement

Would much prefer Wenger to knuckle down and get Lamar and Lacezette then flatter the ego of Mahrez who would be just another Walcott winger and not add that much to the team. He is a good skillful player but not what we need and deffo not a priority.

If he was going cheap thats different but he would cost us 20mil plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Would much prefer Wenger to knuckle down and get Lamar and Lacezette then flatter the ego of Mahrez who would be just another Walcott winger and not add that much to the team. He is a good skillful player but not what we need and deffo not a priority.

If he was going cheap thats different but he would cost us 20mil plus.

Agreed, Mahrez not worth the bother for that money. No doubt Wenger will go bargain basement shopping at the last minute for a few players that other clubs have passed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

I cant see the Lacazette deal going through pure Higuain ring to it and we all know what happened there(hope im wrong) dont want to lose Giroud either. Sanchez is out the door after the Confederations but once its not to a premier league club il eventually get over it would love to get Lemar in if thats the case. Dont understand why we dont go out and spend big on the likes of two quality cdms would love to get Fabinho and NZonzi in the middle for us so the like s of Ramsey,Xhaka and Elneny wont see a blade of grass but back to real world i guess.

Wonder would Atleti let us buy that Saul lad, he's top quality! Some hat-trick in the 21's semi final tonight from the middle of the park!

Aulas is a bloody difficult character to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

It's because we're signing Mbappe instead ;)

It's because we're signing Mbappe instead ;)

You forgot Lemar too

Looks like it's between us and Monaco for Mbappe. Perez has said that he can't guarantee a regular starting place for an 18 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

emmetlego wrote: »
    Wonder would Atleti let us buy that Saul lad, he's top quality! Some hat-trick in the 21's semi final tonight from the middle of the park!

We had a deal in place to buy him in January 16. Atletico pulled the plug when Tiago broke his leg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement