Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

That is because Arsenal are being Arsenal and pissing around and offering far too low as usual and trying to get the chap for little or nothing. We are not the club we once were where players are falling over themselves to join us....its not like he is stupidly over valued.

If Lyon want 44mil for him just pay it ffs, he will slip away from us and we will all be feeling sorry for ourselves.

We know what we need so just have at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Isn't it 56mil pounds being the latest they want? So about 63mil euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Yawns wrote: »
    Isn't it 56mil pounds being the latest they want? So about 63mil euro

I think that's all in, including add ons

Sure we will be selling dead wood and getting a chunk of it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I presume Perez will be gone in the summer? He was a strange acquisition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

wonga77 wrote: »
    I presume Perez will be gone in the summer? He was a strange acquisition

I would have played him ahead of Welbeck this season, not sure why he wasn't given a proper chance. Shame IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Saul would be a perfect replacement for Santi Cazorla but no way will Atleti sell him or anyone this year with there new transfer ban id say he will somehow end up in Barcelona in the not so distant future. Big fan of Dennis Suarez too hed be a great signing with all this talk of Lacazette and Lemar id like to see something concerete soon.

domrush wrote: »
    I would have played him ahead of Welbeck this season, not sure why he wasn't given a proper chance. Shame IMO.

Yeah, good technical player and giving the chance he deffo would have bagged goals for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/880092090356596738

Monaco adamant they won't sell Lemar.

Not buying that for a minute

• Advertisement

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Not buying that for a minute

I dunno, i don't think they'll sell the whole team this summer. And with it looking likely that Silva, Mendy, Bakayoko & Mbappe will be leaving Monaco will be swimming in money with no need to sell Lemar.

Would be very Arsenal for Monaco to pull down the shutters just when they got to the counter.

I dunno, i don't think they'll sell the whole team this summer. And with it looking likely that Silva, Mendy, Bakayoko & Mbappe will be leaving Monaco will be swimming in money with no need to sell Lemar.

Would be very Arsenal for Monaco to pull down the shutters just when they got to the counter.

If they lose all those players the other won't want to stay either way, imo he's making it look like he's trying his hardest to keep them but knows full well he'll lose them

FixitFelix wrote: »
    If they lose all those players the other won't want to stay either way, imo he's making it look like he's trying his hardest to keep them but knows full well he'll lose them

Hopefully, i think he's a very good player. I can't see a 21 year old with a contract til 2020 kicking up much of a stink though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

SSN reporting our bids for Lacazette and Lemar have been rejected by their clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

emmetlego wrote: »
    SSN reporting our bids for Lacazette and Lemar have been rejected by their clubs.

Ornstein says the same, more confident on Lacazette

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We are supposed to have bid 85 million for the pair. My young lad read this somewhere.
    Hard to believe anything you read in the papers these days regarding transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Arsenal going after a left winger. What does that say about Alexis' situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

The Mirror reporting that City are the only club in for Sanchez due to wage demands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

It's unforgivable if Alexis is sold to City.
    No two ways about it.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    It's unforgivable if Alexis is sold to City.
    No two ways about it.

Add it to the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If they sold Alexis to city for 50-60 and went out and dropped 100 on a replacement they'd probably get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

If they sold Alexis to city for 50-60 and went out and dropped 100 on a replacement they'd probably get away with it.

No way

Sell Sanchez to city is unforgivable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

No way

Sell Sanchez to city is unforgivable

Not digging up past conversation, but I'd only accept it if Aguero came the other way. Its fairly obvious that Sanchez wants out, so let him go to wherever but if its a Prem club do a swap for Aguero or Costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Not digging up past conversation, but I'd only accept it if Aguero came the other way. Its fairly obvious that Sanchez wants out, so let him go to wherever but if its a Prem club do a swap for Aguero or Costa

Those swap deals never happen, the rags always report them as if they were a regular occurence or a simple, we want X, we'll give you Y and some cash.

Either Sanchez will stay or be sold to City, theres far too many variables for swap deals to go smoothly, so Aguero wont be part of any deal, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Strengthening a rival by selling them our best player makes absolutely no sense. We dont need the money.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Strengthening a rival by selling them our best player makes absolutely no sense. We dont need the money.

Arsenal is only about money for many a year.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Those swap deals never happen, the rags always report them as if they were a regular occurence or a simple, we want X, we'll give you Y and some cash.

Either Sanchez will stay or be sold to City, theres far too many variables for swap deals to go smoothly, so Aguero wont be part of any deal, IMO.

Last one I remember actually happening was Gallas coming as part of the Ashley Cole to Chelsea deal. I remember thinking we were getting the better deal at the time :pac:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Last one I remember actually happening was Gallas coming as part of the Ashley Cole to Chelsea deal. I remember thinking we were getting the better deal at the time :pac:

Barca gave Inter Milan Eto'o and about 50m for Ibrahimovic about 6 years ago, that was hte last big one I remember but ya, the Gallas/Cole deal was a humdinger for Chelsea.

Gallas was a fine player but Arsenal got bent over a barrel for the price on Cole who in todays market, in his prime, would be worth 50m + easily.

:o

keano_afc wrote: »

Unfortunately, Sanchez holds a lot of the cards in this sitaution with only 12 months left on his deal.

arsenal could refuse to sell him and lose him for free in the summer or whats more likely, sign him to a new deal and promise to leave him go in 12months time fro a reasonable fee, its happened before with Suarez and Ronaldo

Who knows, Arsenal could win the league by next year and Sanchez might change his mind and stay for longer.

There has been nothing to suggest however that he'll leave, I'd say the stories are popping up because hes not signed a new deal. I've always assumed Arsenal would lose one of Ozil or Sanchez this summer and I'd get rid of Ozil and try my best to keep Sanchez if I was Arsenal.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, Sanchez holds a lot of the cards in this sitaution with only 12 months left on his deal.

arsenal could refuse to sell him and lose him for free in the summer or whats more likely, sign him to a new deal and promise to leave him go in 12months time fro a reasonable fee, its happened before with Suarez and Ronaldo

Who knows, Arsenal could win the league by next year and Sanchez might change his mind and stay for longer.

There has been nothing to suggest however that he'll leave, I'd say the stories are popping up because hes not signed a new deal. I've always assumed Arsenal would lose one of Ozil or Sanchez this summer and I'd get rid of Ozil and try my best to keep Sanchez if I was Arsenal.

I can't see anyone Ozil would be interested in going to being interested in him.

I can't see anyone Ozil would be interested in going to being interested in him.

Is it 5 players that have 12 months left on their contracts at Arsenal?

I think it posted it here or the transfer thread but off the top of my head its Ozil, Sanhcez, Ramsey, Ox and Cazorla.

Some are clearly more important than others but if you bed down Sanchez, the rest will probably fall into line and sign to new deals, especially if your best player is willing to stay.

Lose him and it could be open season on a few capable players leaving.

I think it posted it here or the transfer thread but off the top of my head its Ozil, Sanhcez, Ramsey, Ox and Cazorla.

Some are clearly more important than others but if you bed down Sanchez, the rest will probably fall into line and sign to new deals, especially if your best player is willing to stay.

Ozil, Cazorla & Ramsey will sign i think, Ox is genuinely 50/50.

Sanchez the best we can do is give him a bumper new deal with an agreement to sell him for 40m next summer as you've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Wenger said hed rather lose him for free next year than sell him this year lets see how true that statement is, simple as this if he ( Sanchez ) is sold to City or Chelsea this year wherever he goes that team will win the league im almost sure of it. All this Lemar talk obviously means Sanchez is leaving i think i just hope its to Bayern or Juve type team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wenger said hed rather lose him for free next year than sell him this year lets see how true that statement is, simple as this if he ( Sanchez ) is sold to City or Chelsea this year wherever he goes that team will win the league im almost sure of it. All this Lemar talk obviously means Sanchez is leaving i think i just hope its to Bayern or Juve type team.

Bayern, PSG (not sure about Juventus) have both said they can't afford his wages.
    Arsenal have said they won't sell to a direct rival so that eliminates City, Chelsea et al. Therefore he's staying. If only life were that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Mickeroo wrote: »

Hah I go back to Clive Allen being swapped for Kenny Sansom after just three pre season games in 1980

• Advertisement

Hah I go back to Clive Allen being swapped for Kenny Sansom after just three pre season games in 1980

There was also the loan swap deal with Reyes for Julio 'The Beast' Baptista a few years back.

What a talented waste of space Reyes was, he'd really improve this current team.

I've said to a mate IRL and here to others but if Sanchez doesnt want to sign, would you rather leave him go for free in 12months and he rocks up at a PL rival anyway, or sell him now to a rival and have cash in hand for a replacement?

I've said to a mate IRL and here to others but if Sanchez doesnt want to sign, would you rather leave him go for free in 12months and he rocks up at a PL rival anyway, or sell him now to a rival and have cash in hand for a replacement?

Is there a third option? :D

I'd still be pushing for getting him to sign some kind of extension with a bump in pay, and a clause that he can leave at the end of next season for an agreed fee.

Keep him, it'll be worth 40-50m to the club if he gets them back into the Champions League anyway.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Is there a third option? :D

I'd still be pushing for getting him to sign some kind of extension with a bump in pay, and a clause that he can leave at the end of next season for an agreed fee.

Always, the lesser of those evils would surely for him to go abroad.

The sane option, would be as you stated above, a gentlemans agreement, he gets a bump and if he feels like leaving in the summer of 2018, thanks for the service and see ya later.

Hopefully he'll have had another 20goals + season and leaves Arsenal better off then they were this season, or he does a U turn and stays after a succesful season. :o

• Advertisement

Keep him, it'll be worth 40-50m to the club if he gets them back into the Champions League anyway.

Ya, none of the top PL clubs really need the money anyway, in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Let him go on a free any day of the week, if it's between them two options. We won't get the market value for him now anyway, so he will be worth more to Arsenal keeping him for a season than £40m would be. It's World Cup year as well, so I doubt he will down tools and sulk for the season if he's made stay.

The reality is though, he won't be made run down his contract. He will either sign a new one and stay or be sold. If he's sold to Man City or any other premier league team than Wenger and Kroenke can go **** themselves. Still haven't forgiven the sale of Van Persie to Man Utd effectively giving them the league title. The club is more financially sound now though.

There was also the loan swap deal with Reyes for Julio 'The Beast' Baptista a few years back.

What a talented waste of space Reyes was, he'd really improve this current team.

Too soft. Sweet left foot no doubt but Reyes wasnt prepared for the rough stuff. I think that falling out with Henry over the racist incident in 2004 was pivotal. He was never as good afterwards and i get the impression he was left out in the cold by his teammates

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Let him go on a free any day of the week, if it's between them two options. We won't get the market value for him now anyway, so he will be worth more to Arsenal keeping him for a season than £40m would be. It's World Cup year as well, so I doubt he will down tools and sulk for the season if he's made stay.

The reality is though, he won't be made run down his contract. He will either sign a new one and stay or be sold. If he's sold to Man City or any other premier league team than Wenger and Kroenke can go **** themselves. Still haven't forgiven the sale of Van Persie to Man Utd effectively giving them the league title. The club is more financially sound now though.

Thats the thing it really is all about optics, keeping him sends out a message to all (including Sanchez) that Arsenal are serious about winning - it also buys time to get some players in and maybe convince him to sign on. A few big / biggish names and he could see it differently.

Arsenal, like Chelsea, does have the draw of London. If it were a Chelsea player I would be for not selling him to a direct competitor he is just too good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

ozil, sanchez, ox, wilshere, szczesny with 1 year left i think. cazorla & mertesacker are in the last year too now, both had 1 year extensions activated when injured, cazorla still is.

Can anyone point me to where Sanchez said he wanted to leave?
    I can't see it anywhere.
    Could be just the usual paper talk.

Can anyone point me to where Sanchez said he wanted to leave?
    I can't see it anywhere.
    Could be just the usual paper talk.

He didn't look like a happy man last season in fairness but that's still not indicative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Wenger has said that he was "sure" they wouldn't sell him to a Pl rival. Although that's not a 100% promise he won't. I believe that he won't. Given one presumes has a bit more authority I
    With his own new deal and also the integrity of the man.

He rarely/never renages on his word.

Would love a deal Ala Suarez. And think this is a real possibility.

Also the other foreign player not mentioned is Madrid. Is there an option he could go there. The added bonus for the lilywhites would be to really piss off Barca.

Would be delighted with Sanchez and Lacassete signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

He didn't look like a happy man last season in fairness but that's still not indicative.

He acts like that a lot, look at some of the Chile matches in the confederations cup and he looks the same. It is just his character, he wants the best from everyone around him.

I don't believe he will be sold, but the club really need to secure a couple signings and renew a couple contracts to allay any fear that Sanchez has about the clubs future.

Hopefully once the confederations cup is completed the club will make it an urgent priority to get a new deal signed and then he can go off and rest for a few weeks before pre-season training, to be playing international football last summer, this summer and next summer can't be easy on the body for someone who gives 110% in every game.

This is all obviously in an ideal world, no doubt contract renewals and new signings will drag out until transfer deadline day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I don't believe he will be sold, but the club really need to secure a couple signings and renew a couple contracts to allay any fear that Sanchez has about the clubs future.

We've needed to do since the days of Vieira, and we haven't and we've still no titles since.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement