Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

No matter who we sign will always fall short and still need that one or two more World class players and is seen after November every year usually goes like this centre back,cdm,goal scorer. Atm we look okay at cb but Kosch wont play more than 20 games in the League due to injuries and altough i like Holding you dont know what could happen with him this year i think Kosch just makes those who play alongside him look better than they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

No matter who we sign will always fall short and still need that one or two more World class players and is seen after November every year usually goes like this centre back,cdm,goal scorer. Atm we look okay at cb but Kosch wont play more than 20 games in the League due to injuries and altough i like Holding you dont know what could happen with him this year i think Kosch just makes those who play alongside him look better than they are.

Not sure about that to be honest.

There were a few times this season when Kos was caught out and Mustafi and others around him managed to cover him. The only reason Kos wasn't called out on it for the most part seems to because of his reputation whereas since Mustafi was new he didn't have one yet.

It's also worth remembering that Kos was as much of a liability in terms of red cards this year as Xhaka but again this seems broadly ignored.

I like Kos and think he is one of our most valuable players but he is not faultless and I think the likes of Mustafi and Holding could be as valuable over the next few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Loads more Sanchez stuff floating around today

Loads more Sanchez stuff floating around today

Meh. Won't even pay attention to it until next week after the Confederations Cup is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Sanchez was quoted as saying he knows what he wants and it's clear in his mind, but can't say anything about it. We are complete mugs if we sell him to Man City. Run out his contract or sell him abroad, they should be the only options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Sanchez was quoted as saying he knows what he wants and it's clear in his mind, but can't say anything about it. We are complete mugs if we sell him to Man City. Run out his contract or sell him abroad, they should be the only options.

Could he not force a move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We are not going to get Lemar either if the quotes from his manager are true.

Apparently Wenger tried to sign him 2 years ago too ha ha ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The latest from Aulas is that Lacazette wants to leave but Lyon don't want to sell.

Could take a while...

Yeah I suppose he could, but they can just make him play out the last year of his contract. Disgusted with the Arsenal board for allowing Sanchez, Ozil, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain and a couple of others contracts to run down to a year left. Scandalous for a club the size of Arsenal.

• Advertisement

Yeah I suppose he could, but they can just make him play out the last year of his contract. Disgusted with the Arsenal board for allowing Sanchez, Ozil, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain and a couple of others contracts to run down to a year left. Scandalous for a club the size of Arsenal.

well i guess they've been trying to deal with sanchez and ozil since when they had two years left, but with the whole wenger thing, i guess everything was up in the air. you'd like to think that wenger staying has improved our chances of retaining them, but who knows.

also, regarding ox and ramsey....if they signed bumper contracts with big pay raises last summer, people would have flipped out over it. i'm sure a big chunk of fans would rather they were sold (for what it's worth, i like them both).

greendom wrote: »

Was just reading the same, and Lyon have just signed a new striker. Seems to be fairly likely now.

Maybe he's staying and all the rumours are paper talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Maybe Wenger will win the league next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

David Ornstein‏Verified account @bbcsport_david 3m3 minutes ago
    More
    Arsenal are close to agreeing a deal to sign Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette. Negotiations continuing, expected to be club record fee #AFC

• Advertisement

Maybe Wenger will win the league next season.
    Can't see us winning a league again under Wenger.

Can't see us winning a league again under Wenger.

Yep, me neither.

Can't see Sanchez staying either though, unless the club find a spine from somewhere and draw a line in the sand to say 'no more selling to English rivals' & make him go abroad or see out the contract.

Yep, me neither.

Can't see Sanchez staying either though, unless the club find a spine from somewhere and draw a line in the sand to say 'no more selling to English rivals' & make him go abroad or see out the contract.

I thought that line in the sand was drawn 5 years ago?

Woe is me. It's tough being an Arsenal fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Can't players buy out the last year of their contract? Haven't got the foggiest idea what Sanchez is on at Arsenal. But, for argument's sake, let's say £100k per week (which looks on the low side). He'd have to shell out £5.2m to get out of his contract. Surely, it'd make sense for Arsenal to get what they can for him now, from wherever that may be.

• Advertisement

blueser wrote: »
    Can't players buy out the last year of their contract? Haven't got the foggiest idea what Sanchez is on at Arsenal. But, for argument's sake, let's say £100k per week (which looks on the low side). He'd have to shell out £5.2m to get out of his contract. Surely, it'd make sense for Arsenal to get what they can for him now, from wherever that may be.

Highly unlikely that could be done in the premier league. Players would be buying themselves out of their contacts all over the place if it were possible.

blueser wrote: »

Pr wise with the fans it would be an absolute disaster. As you've probably gathered from this thread morale is low enough as it is. Unless some stellar names are brought into the club the atmosphere at the Emirates next season would be poisonous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Pr wise with the fans it would be an absolute disaster. As you've probably gathered from this thread morale is low enough as it is. Unless some stellar names are brought into the club the atmosphere at the Emirates next season would be poisonous.
    It would be a huge blow to you to lose Sanchez, no doubt. The problem is that players seem to have all the power these days. If a player is unhappy at a club, he can make life very difficult there, polluting the atmosphere in the dressing room and generally not giving his all for the club. There would come a point where holding that player to his contract becomes self-defeating; we had it with Tevez a couple of years back. He was fantastic for us, but when he decided to throw his toys out of the pram, it was the beginning of the end.

It's not just "stellar" names.
    I mean we have to get a proper team together with proper team spirit. By that I mean players who will battle for each other, chastise players who are not performing and sweat blood for the club. I haven't seen passion in great quantities in recent years i.e. the Keown / Van Nistlerooy passion in that famous game at OT.
    A side is easy to put together but a team who bond and fight for each other is not. I think we have had great individuals over the last number of years but not great teams. Keeping a fighter and sore loser like Sanchez would be a good start.

It's not just "stellar" names.
    I mean we have to get a proper team together with proper team spirit. By that I mean players who will battle for each other, chastise players who are not performing and sweat blood for the club. I haven't seen passion in great quantities in recent years i.e. the Keown / Van Nistlerooy passion in that famous game at OT.
    A side is easy to put together but a team who bond and fight for each other is not. I think we have had great individuals over the last number of years but not great teams. Keeping a fighter and sore loser like Sanchez would be a good start.

I don't think Sanchez is a team player, even if he embodies some of the qualities you mentioned.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I don't think Sanchez is a team player, even if he embodies some of the qualities you mentioned.
    His work-rate and assists would say differently.

Highly unlikely that could be done in the premier league. Players would be buying themselves out of their contacts all over the place if it were possible.

I think it might be possible but a few years back the top clubs made an agreement not to take any player that bought himself out as if it became commonplace it would lead to havoc

His work-rate and assists would say differently.

Maybe we view team player differently. I don't think he brings the team together. He can rip through a player for not passing, when he is guilty of the same thing many a time. He also only has a high work rate when chasing his lost balls.

If a player scores, he wouldn't be the first to run over. If a player gets in a scuffle with someone from another team, he wouldn't be straight in there to back him up. He's more about himself.

That's not to say he's not a great player.

Maybe we view team player differently. I don't think he brings the team together. He can rip through a player for not passing, when he is guilty of the same thing many a time.

If a player scores, he wouldn't be the first to run over. If a player gets in a scuffle with someone from another team, he wouldn't be straight in there to back him up. He's more about himself.

That's not to say he's not a great player.
    When was the last time we saw one of our players in a scuffle though. I can't remember. Sometimes he does seem greedy but maybe he realises that the other player is not worth passing to and that he has a better chance himself. He has the highest assist rate in the EPL for last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Lacezzette, Kolisiniac and one other starter is a good Summer by Arsenal standards. Resign Ozil and force Sanchez to stay and I'm placated.

• Advertisement

Chris Willock the youngster has signed a 5 year deal with Benfica. Don't know much about him or if he was rated highly by Arsenal, but refused a contract extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Havent posted on here for a long long time.
    I'll ask this in black in white terms as I haven't seen it too much here. Maybe people refuse to believe it.
    Am I wrong in thinking Sanchez to Man City is now looking increasingly likely?

Hope so. We should keep him and see if the team can start the following season as well as they finished last season. That could go some way to getting him to sign a contract extension.

I'll ask this in black in white terms as I haven't seen it too much here. Maybe people refuse to believe it.

Haven't seen Ornstein say so.

I don't think so. We'll know soon enough going by what the man himself had to say.

When was the last time we saw one of our players in a scuffle though. I can't remember. Sometimes he does seem greedy but maybe he realises that the other player is not worth passing to and that he has a better chance himself. He has the highest assist rate in the EPL for last season.

Scuffles don't win leagues. Having a player suspended for 3 matches doesn't win leagues.

As to Sanchez I can put up with his strops and poor decision making at times as he's a game changer on a regular basis. You have to love his passion and endeavour as well as his skill.

Scuffles don't win leagues. Having a player suspended for 3 matches doesn't win leagues.

As to Sanchez I can put up with his strops and poor decision making at times as he's a game changer on a regular basis. You have to love his passion and endeavour as well as his skill.

Nobody said that scuffles win leagues. It does show that the players stand up for each other though and are in it together. They do not have to be suspended for standing up for one another either. The great United teams always stuck up for each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Sky Sports reporting we're very close to signing Lacazette from Lyon for £50 million+. Fingers crossed!

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10932805/arsenal-willing-to-pay-45m-for-alexandre-lacazette-of-lyon

If having a go at your teammates for example doesnt make you a teamplayer then Roy Keane wasnt much of a team-player either. id prefer the little man with us then against us. It should not come to this where we are trying desperately to hang on to him. We should have built a team around him from 14 on instead of sticking with the failures and duds we have

• Advertisement

If having a go at your teammates for example doesnt make you a teamplayer then Roy Keane wasnt much of a team-player either. id prefer the little man with us then against us. It should not come to this where we are trying desperately to hang on to him. We should have built a team around him from 14 on instead of sticking with the failures and duds we have

I agree. Not the point I was making, though.

He improves our team and we can't afford to lose him. I don't view him as a team player, that's all.

He improves our team and we can't afford to lose him. I don't view him as a team player, that's all.
    How do you define a team player?

How do you define a team player?

A player that puts the team ahead of themselves.

A player that puts the team ahead of themselves.
    That's why Sanchez has the highest assists for the season.

That's why Sanchez has the highest assists for the season.

By that logic, is the player with the most goals the most selfish? :pac:

By that logic, is the player with the most goals the most selfish? :pac:
    He has been described as selfish so i'm amazed he passed at all :pac:

• Advertisement

Is your point that he seemingly blames everyone around him? Ronaldo does that too. Strikers generally are that way inclined. Henry was like that in his final year when he had to play with inferior players to the previous years

Did anyone read this?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40454116

Very strange from Gazidis. Have never heard him come out with this kind of statement before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Did anyone read this?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40454116

Very strange from Gazidis. Have never heard him come out with this kind of statement before.

I'd be taking this as a sign we're signing no one and he wants to continue to back the out of date Wenger.
    Wenger has also said contract talks will take place this summer with forward Alexis Sanchez and midfielder Mesut Ozil, who are entering the final year of their deals.

"I believe that to be a world-class football club, you've got to be world class off the pitch."

Surely these two statements contradict each other. How were these two (and others) allow enter their last year without having contracts secured?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Lots of noise from the club.

Insisting they won't sell to City!
    Lacazette nearly done.
    Lemar close too
    Still hopeful of Mbappe.

If, and it's a big if, he signs all 3, it will be a huge summer for us and Debuchy, Theo and maybe 1/2 more gone too. I'd be happy enough with that. I'd like to keep Guroud too, but with this signings, he'd probably leave for game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Where'd you see them say we won't sell to City?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement