Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

CatInABox wrote: »
    Or far worse, burst past someone, and then take the predictable bad choice.

Honestly, I'm struggling to get interested in even the latest rumours about players and record signings. It all seems like window dressing to set up a mediocre next season.

I'll openly admit that I am no particular fan of Walcott and I do think he is easily replaceable and should have been replaced long before now. Saying that though, he does score.

I'm not sure why people want to keep Welbeck ahead of the Walcott and Giroud though. The most that he scored in any season for us was 5 goals (across all competitions). Yes, his work rate is great and, in general, I do like him as a player but above all that he is a striker that doesn't score.

Ideally, if we sign one or two forwards I think we should keep Perez (who scored 8 goals this season for reference) and Giroud. First out the door should be Welbeck and, if possible, then off load Walcott. However, given his wages I don't think Del Boy could get rid of him.

farna_boy wrote: »
    I'll openly admit that I am no particular fan of Walcott and I do think he is easily replaceable and should have been replaced long before now. Saying that though, he does score.

I'm not sure why people want to keep Welbeck ahead of the Walcott and Giroud though. The most that he scored in any season for us was 5 goals (across all competitions). Yes, his work rate is great and, in general, I do like him as a player but above all that he is a striker that doesn't score.

Ideally, if we sign one or two forwards I think we should keep Perez (who scored 8 goals this season for reference) and Giroud. First out the door should be Welbeck and, if possible, then off load Walcott. However, given his wages I don't think Del Boy could get rid of him.

Depends. Walcott might want to force his way into the England team for the world cup. Maybe even a loan with us covering some of his wages could be an option.

You're right, though. He scores a lot more than Welbeck. Even when Welbeck does score, it's usually a scuffed shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Maybe I'm cynical in my old age but I'm a bit nonplussed by Lacazette. Best we can do i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

farna_boy wrote: »

Giroud will go for certain, he won't stay on the bench in World Cup year. Walcott might go to if Wenger is married to the 3-4-3 as there's no spot for him in it.

The reason people have time Welbeck, frustrating as his finishing is, is that we don't produce performances like the cup final against Chelsea with Giroud or Walcott up front. His movement was dragging their defenders all over the pitch and Sanchez & Ozil were having a field day in the space created, similarly in the semi against City when he came on his dragging defenders out of position and running at them got Arsenal back on top in that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

keano_afc wrote: »
    Maybe I'm cynical in my old age but I'm a bit nonplussed by Lacazette. Best we can do i guess.
    I know this is an old cliché and it's usually one I hate myself, but will there be a better striker that moves clubs this summer?

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    I know this is an old clichnd it's usually one I hate myself, but will there be a better striker that moves clubs this summer?

Lets bookmark this for re-evaluation on the 1st of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

keano_afc wrote: »
    I know this is an old clichnd it's usually one I hate myself, but will there be a better striker that moves clubs this summer?

Lets bookmark this for re-evaluation on the 1st of September.
    He is in the 'very good' category and has potential to go to 'world class' status if he gets good supply from Ozil and the odd long ball from Xhaka. I think he is an excellent purchase. He is the top scorer from ligue 1 and proven at that level. For me, he has the same attributes as Welbeck but with the added ability of being a great finisher. That's if we do indeed sign him. :-/

emmetlego wrote: »
    He is in the 'very good' category and has potential to go to 'world class' status if he gets good supply from Ozil and the odd long ball from Xhaka. I think he is an excellent purchase. He is the top scorer from ligue 1 and proven at that level. For me, he has the same attributes as Welbeck but with the added ability of being a great finisher. That's if we do indeed sign him. :-/

2nd top, a good way behind Cavani. He also had 10(!!!) pens. Still looks a good player, though.

Basil3 wrote: »
    2nd top, a good way behind Cavani. He also had 10(!!!) pens. Still looks a good player, though.

Cavani is playing in front of some incredible players and is also one of the most wasteful strikers in Europe.

At the end of the day its a signing but I'd like us to keep Giroud, even though it makes sense for him to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Hierro_4

Justice for Henry

Thank this post to vote!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd definitely be keeping Giroud if he would stay, you won't find many better options off the bench in the premier league. However it makes sense for him to move one, and if that's what he wants I wouldn't stand in his way, he's been a good servant to the club. Also the fee being mentioned for him is something like €30m? That's not bad for a 30 year old.

Also the fee being mentioned for him is something like €30m? That's not bad for a 30 year old.
    So is €50m for a near 30 year old Sanchez!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Would getting lacazette and mahrez soften the blow of losing Sanchez?, both could easily make up if not better his goals and assists.
    Would like to have all three but if he goes, wouldn't be as bad if we got these 2 in my eyes.

Just not to city:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I don't want Mahrez. He proved last year he was a one season wonder, and goes missing far too often. This is exactly the opposite of what we need.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would find it hard to be excited about Mahrez tbh, pretty pleased if Lacazette happens though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I don't want Mahrez. He proved last year he was a one season wonder, and goes missing far too often. This is exactly the opposite of what we need.

I agree, we have too many players that fit that description 'goes missing' last thing we need is another one. We need a few players with a mentality that differs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That was more down to just not wanting to play for Leicester anymore I think.

He's a cracking player

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah he definitely looks a one season wonder after last season. Perez looks better and he's being turfed out.

callaway92 wrote: »

He's a cracking player

Agree with this he wanted out of Leicester and was just going through the motions, this attitude brings it's it own problems but he definitely is a class player, better than Walcott anyway who should make way

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Agree with this he wanted out of Leicester and was just going through the motions, this attitude brings it's it own problems but he definitely is a class player, better than Walcott anyway who should make way

If we're looking at someone down the right flank, he's probably the assists/chances of the Ox combined with the goal scoring/finishing of Walcott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Would rather Lemar but if that's a no go would be delighted with Maherz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think last season we'd have all been ecstatic if we signed Lacezette and Mahrez its just some Arsenal fans (not me ) have been jumping on board the Mbappe , Lemar hype train and the two we'll probably end up getting do pale in comparison .

I still think the two Monaco players futures are up in the air and we could sign either or both it's a long summer ahead yet, None of the big teams have really showed there hands yet .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

callaway92 wrote: »

He's a cracking player

Think I'd rather him than Walcott tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Some chile journalist causing a stir saying Sanchez won't leave Arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Much rather Maherz and off load Walcott but would prefer Lemar and on top of them all if Sanchez was to stay I wouldn't care if we got any of them. Sad if Giroud leaves he's loveable fella and a great option off the bench can see him flourishing with a team like West Ham. Agree with previous posters Welbeck would be first out the door if it were me he's an injury waiting to happen as is Wilshire. Anyone know what is Cazorlas story ? Honestly think if he stayed fit for the season we'd challenge he's huge for us such a pitty he's so injury prone big year ahead for Rob Holding hopefully he can continue his end of season form.

Lehman coming back as goalkeeper coach

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think last season we'd have all been ecstatic if we signed Lacezette and Mahrez its just some Arsenal fans (not me ) have been jumping on board the Mbappe , Lemar hype train and the two we'll probably end up getting do pale in comparison .

I still think the two Monaco players futures are up in the air and we could sign either or both it's a long summer ahead yet, None of the big teams have really showed there hands yet .

So some are jumping on the hype but not you although you think the two are available and we could sign them..........

https://twitter.com/Juan_Luis16/status/881904188049039361

Excellent reputation when it comes to showbiz gossip in Chile according to twitter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

greendom wrote: »

That would be a great appointment, I'd love mad Jens back. Plenty of our keepers have complained about Gerry Payton, so I'm really surprised that he's still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Soups123 wrote: »
    So some are jumping on the hype but not you although you think the two are available and we could sign them..........

No I'm a realist and I don't think it'll happen but I wouldn't rule it out 100% as I said in my above post none of the massive teams have really made big moves yet , bar Lindelof at United and Salah at Liverpool

Not just a goalkeeping coach by all accounts, a first team coach to back up Steve and Arsene. Loved a bit of mad Jens back in the day, glad to have an invincible back on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he stayed put. I said in the City thread that his delaying announcing what he intended to do until after the Confederation Cup may well have been a bargaining chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

blueser wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he stayed put. I said in the City thread that his delaying announcing what he intended to do until after the Confederation Cup may well have been a bargaining chip.

He said it was up to the club months ago. Just wants the money & he'll stay

http://news.arseblog.com/2016/12/happy-alexis-wants-arsenal-to-show-confidence-in-him/

And again in May putting it on the club

http://news.arseblog.com/2017/05/sanchez-remains-coy-on-his-future-admits-premier-league-frustration/

Santi's had another setback with the achilles injury & could be out again until next April. Whispers that he might not play again for Arsenal which would be a real shame.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/824374/Arsenal-Exclusive-Santi-Cazorla-Gunners-Injury-Premier-League-Contract-Arsene-Wenger-News

Makes a midfield purchase even more of a must this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So have we signed Ronaldo yet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

gandalf wrote: »
    So have we signed Ronaldo yet ;)
    he'd never get his game ahead of the Ox in fairness...

Santi's had another setback with the achilles injury & could be out again until next April. Whispers that he might not play again for Arsenal which would be a real shame.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/824374/Arsenal-Exclusive-Santi-Cazorla-Gunners-Injury-Premier-League-Contract-Arsene-Wenger-News

Makes a midfield purchase even more of a must this summer.
    Absolute disaster for him, one of the players in recent years I loved watching, could beat any player in a phone box

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Very sad about Santi his contract is up next year very unlikely he will play for us again. Matter of interest would any of yee be against re signing Fabregas ? I'd take him back with open arms we could have bought him before Chelsea but Wenger chose not to at the time which I think was a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Very sad about Santi his contract is up next year very unlikely he will play for us again. Matter of interest would any of yee be against re signing Fabregas ? I'd take him back with open arms we could have bought him before Chelsea but Wenger chose not to at the time which I think was a mistake.

Can't see it happening, can't believe he's 30 already!!!

awful news about Santi - so frustrating for him. Hope he gets to kick a football again at a decent level, even if not with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Kind of expected that news about Santi, Achilles injuries tend to be very tough to shake and unfortunately I don't see him playing for us at the top level again. So that's a creative midfielder added to the shopping list.

8 surgeries? Might've been as well left alone.

Lacazette currently having his medical according to the Mirror. I think there's little doubt that this is happening. Should be able to go on pre-season alongside our other new boy Kolasinac. Good to get them bedded in early.

Now confirmation that Alexis is staying and this is turning into a very good window.

Lacazette currently having his medical according to the Mirror. I think there's little doubt that this is happening. Should be able to go on pre-season alongside our other new boy Kolasinac. Good to get them bedded in early.

Now confirmation that Alexis is staying and this is turning into a very good window.

Hmm, it does feel suspiciously like the early 2012 summer signings to soften the blow of selling Van Persie to United.

Real test of the club's talk of 'change' earlier in the year, they can't sell Sanchez to City & do anything else but admit that it was all bollox.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That Santi news is awful. We're much better with him on the pitch, really need a replacement now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Whatever happened before should be forgotten now and we should just try and get fabregas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Lacazette having medical as per Ornacle

https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/882239511081738240

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think that Kolasinack lad can play on the left side of midfield, DM and L/B.
    If that's true and he's any good then we have good cover for 3 positions.

Sad to hear about Cazzorla. He was a great servant.
    I hope Ox stays and ups his game too. He has the ability but sometimes comes across as lazy and not using his brain a lot.
    La casette looks good but it might take him time to settle in.
    I said awhile ago that I think Sanchez will stay and I have no reason to change my opinion.

Hmm, it does feel suspiciously like the early 2012 summer signings to soften the blow of selling Van Persie to United.

Real test of the club's talk of 'change' earlier in the year, they can't sell Sanchez to City & do anything else but admit that it was all bollox.

It was all bollox regardless of what happens with Sanchez.

£45m rising to £52 with add ins according to Ornstein. That's our biggest ever signing lads. Let's hope he's worth it!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement