Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Sanchez leaves... I give up.
    Sanchez stays... faith somewhat restored.
    It'll be a huge statement of intent if he stays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

No CL for first time in forever and we go and make a record signing. So very Arsenal!

Edit. Now I'm paranoid that we've only spent that because we've agreed to sell Sanchez.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

This is either a great signing showing real ambition to get back to the top or a cover up for selling our best player.

Please god let it be the latter or I give up!

I hope Wenger doesnt stick Lacazette out wide far from goal like he did with Podolski.

Just imagine if people could be positive about a club record signing, at least for a day. Talk about glass half empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Basil3 wrote: »
    Just imagine if people could be positive about a club record signing, at least for a day. Talk about glass half empty.

I'm delighted but there's a genuine worry that Sanchez might be off. We're Arsenal, scepticism comes with the shirt :)

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    I'm delighted but there's a genuine worry that Sanchez might be off. We're Arsenal, scepticism comes with the shirt :)

But that is tomorrow Gizmo55's problem. Forget about it for today :pac:

I think people are just afraid to get excited and get all 'go arsenal ready to compete again' if our pants are pulled down next week!

I'm delighted, I'll be watching YouTube compilations all night now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Soups123 wrote: »
    This is either a great signing showing real ambition to get back to the top or a cover up for selling our best player.

Please god let it be the latter or I give up!

You mean former right :D

You mean former right :D

Always mix my former and later up :)

• Advertisement

Tbh while Wenger remains in charge my natural disposition is to be sceptical. Experience has taught me im a sucker if im anything else. I hope im wrong this time.

I was positive when we added Sanchez to Ozil some years back and then last year when we spent 33m on Xhaka and 35 million on Mustafi but we finished lower then we ever did during Wenger's reign. We are a serious bipolar team though judging by the brilliant cup final performance, we are still able to muster a performance WHEN we can be bothered.

Chelsea are not the greatest team i've ever seen kick football but id love to be as consistent as they are.

I do like Lacazette though. Looks a ball of class.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

What are the boys in Monaco smoking thinking Lemar is worth 80 million

What are the boys in Monaco smoking thinking Lemar is worth 80 million

Modern day football. Utterly insane. Its like an even more exaggerated version of the Dublin property market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I hope Wenger doesnt stick Lacazette out wide far from goal like he did with Podolski.

In fairness Podolski wasn't really able to play the #9 role or wide role properly, he was just deadly when given a sniff anywhere within 25 yards of goal.

He's like the anti-Welbeck.

In fairness Podolski wasn't really able to play the #9 role or wide role properly, he was just deadly when given a sniff anywhere within 25 yards of goal.

He's like the anti-Welbeck.

Why play him so far from goal? He's a lethal finisher. Gary Neville first played a ball down the channel for Ruud Van Nistlerooy and he was greeted with, 'What the fúck am i meant to do with that?'. Finishers should be as near to goal as possibly allowed.

If Podolski couldnt play wide or central then what role did he play? I half think Wenger only meant to buy either Podolski or Giroud and accidentally got both. For me though he should have played both together. He persisted with this 4-5-1 or 4-3-2-1 to counteract the long ball teams with big men in the middle in numbers. We suffered because of a short and senseless game passing it round the middle too.

Why play him so far from goal? He's a lethal finisher. Gary Neville first played a ball down the channel for Ruud Van Nistlerooy and he was greeted with, 'What the fúck am i meant to do with that?'. Finishers should be as near to goal as possibly allowed.

If Podolski couldnt play wide or central then what role did he play? I half think Wenger only meant to buy either Podolski or Giroud and accidentally got both. For me though he should have played both together. He persisted with this 4-5-1 or 4-3-2-1 to counteract the long ball teams with big men in the middle in numbers. We suffered because of a short and senseless game passing it round the middle too.

Because his hold up play, his linking to other attackers and his movement were not good enough for a top class team. In either position you were trying to shoehorn him into the team because his finishing was absolutely clinical.

If you look at his career path it's clear to see that he basically wasn't good enough for Bayern, Arsenal or the best German teams that actually won things. He was always useful as a squad player because of his finishing ability and filled his boots in matches where his team was clearly superior(and has scored his fair share of goals in big matches because he was so deadly).

But his overall play was never good enough for a constant role in any of the big teams, club or country, that he played for. After he left Bayern no serious club team was ever interested in him, Arsenal took a punt but again it didn't work and when he left again no interest from any serious team and he went to Turkey.

In saying that i like the guy and his character and he usually gave 100% effort on the field.

Because his hold up play, his linking to other attackers and his movement were not good enough for a top class team. In either position you were trying to shoehorn him into the team because his finishing was absolutely clinical.

If you look at his career path it's clear to see that he basically wasn't good enough for Bayern, Arsenal or the best German teams that actually won things. He was always useful as a squad player because of his finishing ability and filled his boots in matches where his team was clearly superior(and has scored his fair share of goals in big matches because he was so deadly).

But his overall play was never good enough for a constant role in any of the big teams, club or country, that he played for. After he left Bayern no serious club team was ever interested in him, Arsenal took a punt but again it didn't work and when he left again no interest from any serious team and he went to Turkey.

In saying that i like the guy and his character and he usually gave 100% effort on the field.

He has 49 goals scored in 130 games for Germany. One every 2.65 games!
    Dont forget they got to a Euro 2008 final, a Euro 2012 semi final and a World Cup 2010 Semi final before winning the World cup in 2014. If Jogi Low is picking you up to 2017 then you are doing alright.

Bayern had an embarrassment in riches when Pod played for them so thats hardly a fair argument. They can cherrypick from whatever German side they like.

LP has 31 goals in 82 appearances for Arsenal too. Hardly a flop. Played too far out wide though which is silly craic. Theo Walcott survives after only reaching the ton after 11 and a half years?

He has 49 goals scored in 130 games for Germany. One every 2.65 games!
    Dont forget they got to a Euro 2008 final, a Euro 2012 semi final and a World Cup 2010 Semi final before winning the World cup in 2014. If Jogi Low is picking you up to 2017 then you are doing alright.

Bayern had an embarrassment in riches when Pod played for them so thats hardly a fair argument. They can cherrypick from whatever German side they like.

LP has 31 goals in 82 appearances for Arsenal too. Hardly a flop. Played too far out wide though which is silly craic.

Yep, i know his scoring record and it's very good. Like i said he was as good a finisher given space to shoot from anywhere within 25 yards as i've seen at Arsenal.

Never said he was a flop, just that the flaws in his game prevented him from being a #9 in a top class team.

Yep, i know his scoring record and it's very good. Like i said he was as good a finisher given space to shoot from anywhere within 25 yards as i've seen at Arsenal.

Never said he was a flop, just that the flaws in his game prevented him from being a #9 in a top class team.

i disagree. top number 9s score goals. He was a different type of striker. Giroud's hold up play is as good as he can get but Pod beat him hands down on finishing. Michael Owen, Gary Lineker, Robbie Fowler werent good hold up players. Hell, Gerd Muller wasnt known for holding up the ball and letting it off. They shot on sight.

• Advertisement

i disagree. top number 9s score goals. He was a different type of striker. Giroud's hold up play is as good as he can get but Pod beat him hands down on finishing. Michael Owen, Gary Lineker, Robbie Fowler werent good hold up players. Hell, Gerd Muller wasnt known for holding up the ball and letting it off. They shot on sight.

They weren't bad at holding up the ball, and their movement in the box and runs they made were light years ahead of Podolski. Give them all 10 breaking balls on the edge of the area and Podolski would probably knock in more than the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Happy days...we signed the best striker available...I'm going to let Arsenal get inside me and be happy...for now...keep Sanchez and I'll be a delirious little boy again...Sanchez leaves and I'm depressed at us doing the same old same old...1 step forward 2 back...imagine a front line of Lacazettte..Sanchez..Ozil...
    No excuse for not challenging for the league.
    Wenger does it now or fcuk off.

• Well call me surprised...**** it I'm raging he's signed for Arsenal
    Maybe just maybe the club are starting to see a bit of sense. Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just sent Wenger an email there lads, I have agreed that with the signing of Lacazette if we keep Sanchez I will buy the new home kit for the 1st time in about 5-6 yrs......just doing my bit now.

Terms and conditions apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just sent Wenger an email there lads, I have agreed that with the signing of Lacazette if we keep Sanchez I will buy the new home kit for the 1st time in about 5-6 yrs......just doing my bit now.

Terms and conditions apply.

could you post it on here ?

This is going to be way too positive for some ;)

Still here it is...

https://twitter.com/tomgunner14/status/882876713964908546

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    This is going to be way too positive for some ;)

Still here it is...

https://twitter.com/tomgunner14/status/882876713964908546

I found it interesting that #LacaNewSigning said in his interview that it was important it was a stable club with a manager that had been here a while. Wenger definitely seemed a major deciding factor in him coming.

That's not to say that another top manager coming in wouldn't have managed to bring in another decent striker.

Wenger influencing his decision is just soundbyte waffle given to media and you can call me negative all you like. So long as Lacazette does the business he can feed the media any nonsense he wants for all I care but im not falling for this 'Wengers presence played a huge part in me deciding to join this club'.

Dont get me wrong, im sure Wenger is well respected among players but not enough to influence where a player goes no more then simply money is (and money is a big draw).

What about all those players that left over the years? Was the great Arsene not enough to keep them in the door. Will it keep Sanchez or Ozil at the club who are currently reluctant to sign new deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

That is madness

Wenger influencing his decision is just soundbyte waffle given to media and you can call me negative all you like. So long as Lacazette does the business he can feed the media any nonsense he wants for all I care but im not falling for this 'Wengers presence played a huge part in me deciding to join this club'.

Dont get me wrong, im sure Wenger is well respected among players but not enough to influence where a player goes no more then simply money is (and money is a big draw).

What about all those players that left over the years? Was the great Arsene not enough to keep them in the door. Will it keep Sanchez or Ozil at the club who are currently reluctant to sign new deals?

You can watch the interview with him if you like. He wasn't asked about Wenger, nor did he mention him by name. He just said he liked the stability of having a manager who has been here a while.

• Advertisement

£75m for Lukaku. Wow.

Its an astonishing price. A good striker tbf but 75m??? He'll do well at United but my honest opinion is he is not a patch on even 35 year old Zlatan. 50m fair enough. 75m, Everton would be mad not to take it. Granted they have to find a replacement (could be Ollie Giroud) but still

You can watch the interview with him if you like. He wasn't asked about Wenger, nor did he mention him by name. He just said he liked the stability of having a manager who has been here a while.

I did see that interview and your right he did say that but its only one factor.

Parts of the media are trying to spin it that Wenger was the one and only factor which is b0llocks quite frankly.

Ive no doubt Wenger had bearing on the decision with the French connection at the club also but i dont think Arsene swung the pendulum himself.

Its an astonishing price. A good striker tbf but 75m??? He'll do well at United but my honest opinion is he is not a patch on even 35 year old Zlatan. 50m fair enough. 75m, Everton would be mad not to take it. Granted they have to find a replacement (could be Ollie Giroud) but still

Apparently Chelsea aren't out of the race, so imagine how high his price could go? Makes Lacazette seem like a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    That is madness

It is a lot of money, but he was always going to cost a lot. They are buying a player from another premier league team, who aren't short of money themselves. He's scored goals and is proven in the league. He's no Zlatan though, so they haven't exactly strengthened, just replacing him.

The Lacazette fee is a lot of money as well, but hopefully he will be worth it. Keep Sanchez and I'll be happy enough with the summer so far.

Apparently Chelsea aren't out of the race, so imagine how high his price could go? Makes Lacazette seem like a bargain.

Very very true. He is a snip by comparison. 75m is crazy stuff. Just when you think the game might become someway mentally stable it surpasses it blows its own standards of insanity out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Lukaku to United and with Costa seemingly heading back to Atleti I fear Sanchez could be off to Chelsea they'll pay him the money, need a striker and he loves London awful gut feeling now.

Lukaku to United and with Costa seemingly heading back to Atleti I fear Sanchez could be off to Chelsea they'll pay him the money, need a striker and he loves London awful gut feeling now.

Its disgusting if we are back to this shít of selling to rivals again. Id rather take the chance and go all out to win the league this year. If he goes on a free then so be it, he could be worth more money to us on the field for us this season then cashing in now. If himself and Lacazette build up a partnership then he might stay. Would be interesting to see how Ozil fares next season and how he links up with Lacazette

Is he the striker that Chelsea need? I dunno about that. He and Hazard seem way too similar with their style of play, and where on the pitch they gravitate towards.

We're not selling him to City. Even less likely to Chelsea

The main worry is that he will go on a free to either in a year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Well call me surprised...**** it I'm raging he's signed for Arsenal
    Maybe just maybe the club are starting to see a bit of sense. Enjoy

You'll just have to make do with Lukaku :)

FWIW, in today's market £75m for a player like Lukaku is not bad. His goalscoring record is pretty insane for a guy of his age. He's Premier League experience too. They've done well there.

• Advertisement

So assuming we need to lose two non-homegrown players to meet the quota, who goes? I'm assuming Santi can be scratched from our list? Debuchy? Perez?

So assuming we need to lose two non-homegrown players to meet the quota, who goes? I'm assuming Santi can be scratched from our list? Debuchy? Perez?

Debuchy
    Perez
    Ospina
    Giroud
    Campbell

would be the most likely to move with Santi left off the list for the first half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Agree whole-heartedly. If Owen Coyle had taken over at the start of the summer it's his Bolton experience that would be credited with influencing the decision. My guess is that it was the large sack of money that was the biggest influencer. What will be the positive is that hopefully Wenger will get the best out of him.

Agree whole-heartedly. If Owen Coyle had taken over at the start of the summer it's his Bolton experience that would be credited with influencing the decision. My guess is that it was the large sack of money that was the biggest influencer. What will be the positive is that hopefully Wenger will get the best out of him.

You obviously haven't watched the interview. He says nothing about the manager and his experience influencing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

You obviously haven't watched the interview. He says nothing about the manager and his experience influencing him.
    He mentions that the fact that the manager is here a long time and is well established was a factor in him joining.

Quazzie wrote: »
    He mentions that the fact that the manager is here a long time and is well established was a factor in him joining.

Exactly. So the Owen Coyle thing holds no water. As if anyone believes he would have signed with him at the helm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Exactly. So the Owen Coyle thing holds no water. As if anyone believes he would have signed with him at the helm.

That was meant as a joke :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I don't think we need to lose any non-homegrown players to meet the quota. I think we have 17 non homegrown players in the squad which is the maximum allowed. We will need to sell some of them though if we want to bring anyone else in non homegrown.

Perez will be leaving, Santi won't need to be registered and hopefully Debuchy can be sold too. So there should be a few more slots available non homegrown in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

That was meant as a joke :o

Sorry man, this place has got too serious :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement