Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Sorry if I've missed this, but any idea what shirt number Lacazette will wear ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Sorry if I've missed this, but any idea what shirt number Lacazette will wear ?

I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal are waiting on a few departures, at a guess I'd say 9 or 10.

Though that 9 jersey is meant to have a jinx on it. Best be 10 so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Take 14 off Theo and give it him , Speaking of which it dawned on me the other day , If Walcott was a Pokemon , if he Evolved it would be Lacazette , He looks like an Adult version of Walcott

I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal are waiting on a few departures, at a guess I'd say 9 or 10.

Though that 9 jersey is meant to have a jinx on it. Best be 10 so.

I'd expect Mesut to finally take the 10 from Wilshere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Just see on Arseblog (John Cross Mirror) that Sanchez wants 400 k. Wtf is that a bargaining chip or a F/O I want to leave.

Think that works out as 75 m over 4 years. Or 37 after 2 and sell on for maybe 30 M.

Not sure if that's not a bad deal. Better than seeing out his contract and leaving on a free. Is that the same scenario as Suarez.

Just doing the maths on that and it would basically work out free for us if we paid him 2 years at 400 k and sold him for 37 m at the end of that.

Could be wrong and thinking off the hoof here so apologies if all that's wrong.

• Advertisement

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Just see on Arseblog (John Cross Mirror) that Sanchez wants 400 k. Wtf is that a bargaining chip or a F/O I want to leave.

Think that works out as 75 m over 4 years. Or 37 after 2 and sell on for maybe 30 M.

Not sure if that's not a bad deal. Better than seeing out his contract and leaving on a free. Is that the same scenario as Suarez.

Just doing the maths on that and it would basically work out free for us if we paid him 2 years at 400 k and sold him for 37 m at the end of that.

Extend him for 3 or 4 years at whatever he wants, with a clause that he can leave if an offer of 60m+ comes in. That's assuming he does want to leave.

FLOOPER wrote: »

Yeah...
    And then Lacazette haggles for a deal extension in a couple of years..

Ozil haggles for a better deal...

Keep him, sell him at xmas.

That's mental money for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Yeah...
    And then Lacazette haggles for a deal extension in a couple of years..

Ozil haggles for a better deal...

Keep him, sell him at xmas.

That's mental money for anyone.

Sell him to who? and for how much? Who would pay anything for a player they could have for free in 4 months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Sell Wilshire and with the cash from that and the savings on Jacks wages, Alexis gets his money.

Maybe sell on Gibbs too and there is more than enough cash to go around for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

**** that 400 grand a week , Just tell him he can go if and only if a foreign club comes in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sell Wilshire and with the cash from that and the savings on Jacks wages, Alexis gets his money.

Maybe sell on Gibbs too and there is more than enough cash to go around for him.

We can't afford to get rid of home grown unless we replace them with home grown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

**** that 400 grand a week , Just tell him he can go if and only if a foreign club comes in

I think all this is paper nonsense Alexis hasn't actual said anything himself, well he said he knows what he's doing but that's it

Would read much into what papers say

Santi Cazorla has just said that his recovery period is coming to an end and he hopes to be playing again soon.

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Like others said I'd rather keep him this year and go all out to win it and lose him for free in 12 months then get 30-40 million for him this year if we sold it's not coming out of my pocket so I couldn't care how much he holds the club to randsom it's deserved for being scrooges the last 10 years and spending pittens in the transfer market,more than enough money to pay him what he wants people don't seem to realise the wealth this club has and it's all hidden away with Kronkes greed I feel he'll put the foot down tough and Wenger will get the brunt of it problem was letting our two best players contracts run down to 12 months in the first place. 400k a week is crazy money but that is the way football is gone simple as it's all a big money act now and greed from players Sanchez owes Arsenal nothing it's a lot different to Van Persie I think as the years Wenger stuck by him whilst injured. It comes down to this top players will only play for big wages or trophies in our case we have to pay the wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Like others said I'd rather keep him this year and go all out to win it and lose him for free in 12 months then get 30-40 million for him this year if we sold it's not coming out of my pocket so I couldn't care how much he holds the club to randsom it's deserved for being scrooges the last 10 years and spending pittens in the transfer market,more than enough money to pay him what he wants people don't seem to realise the wealth this club has and it's all hidden away with Kronkes greed I feel he'll put the foot down tough and Wenger will get the brunt of it problem was letting our two best players contracts run down to 12 months in the first place. 400k a week is crazy money but that is the way football is gone simple as it's all a big money act now and greed from players Sanchez owes Arsenal nothing it's a lot different to Van Persie I think as the years Wenger stuck by him whilst injured. It comes down to this top players will only play for big wages or trophies in our case we have to pay the wages.
    I wonder how much a fullstop is?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/883280239933235200

BFG is to take over the Arsenal Academy from next year, a good choice in my opinion. Great to keep him around the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I wouldn't believe any of the 400k talk. City are the only other club interested and I don't see them offering him them wages. I believe he will sign an extension for close to 300k.

If it is true, while the wages aren't coming out of our pockets we should still care about the club paying those sort of wages. It could cause problems in the rest of the squad with other players looking for wage hikes and future signings looking for higher than average wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I wouldn't believe any of the 400k talk. City are the only other club interested and I don't see them offering him them wages. I believe he will sign an extension for close to 300k.

If it is true, while the wages aren't coming out of our pockets we should still care about the club paying those sort of wages. It could cause problems in the rest of the squad with other players looking for wage hikes and future signings looking for higher than average wages.

Could structure it like the Sol deal, big signing on fee & big yearly loyalty bonuses with a decent base salary.

Give him a £40m release clause to non English clubs next summer if necessary to get the deal done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Could structure it like the Sol deal, big signing on fee & big yearly loyalty bonuses with a decent base salary.

Give him a £40m release clause to non English clubs next summer if necessary to get the deal done.

I wouldn't, he is either going to commit to the club or not. If he wants £300-400k per week then selling him in a year for £40m makes little sense. If we are going to pay those sort of wages you want someone who is committing his future to the club.

I wouldn't, he is either going to commit to the club or not. If he wants £300-400k per week then selling him in a year for £40m makes little sense. If we are going to pay those sort of wages you want someone who is committing his future to the club.

Important year for the club, he's needed on the pitch. To replace him you're talking about 70-80m + 200k in wages, not to mention being able to find someone as good who'd want to sign for Arsenal.

If he stays i've no doubt he'll give everything on the field, rather it was for 4 years but if not i'd take 1. Suarez was unbelievable for Liverpool in his last year, almost dragging a **** side to the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Interesting read, but could be taken as a bit of a dig at Giroud :rolleyes:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10940472/mesut-ozil-excited-to-play-with-alexandre-lacazette-at-arsenal

"I am really looking forward to it. He is a very good striker who has scored many goals in Ligue 1, not just this season but in previous seasons too. We are really happy to have such a class striker here with us," Ozil said on Arsenal Player.

"From what I have heard he is meant to be very good, always hungry for goals and ice-cold when he gets into a scoring position. My friends who follow the French league know him well and have told me that I will definitely have fun with him on the pitch.

Interesting read, but could be taken as a bit of a dig at Giroud :rolleyes:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10940472/mesut-ozil-excited-to-play-with-alexandre-lacazette-at-arsenal

"I am really looking forward to it. He is a very good striker who has scored many goals in Ligue 1, not just this season but in previous seasons too. We are really happy to have such a class striker here with us," Ozil said on Arsenal Player.

"From what I have heard he is meant to be very good, always hungry for goals and ice-cold when he gets into a scoring position. My friends who follow the French league know him well and have told me that I will definitely have fun with him on the pitch.

Not really seeing as how that could be a dig at Giroud. Giroud and Lacazette are very different players with very contrasting styles. Mesut is just saying that he thinks Lacazette's pacier style will suit his link up play better.

Hypotethical question here, but we lose Sanchez and Giroud, and get MBappe and Lemar along with Lacazette. Are people happy with that?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Not really seeing as how that could be a dig at Giroud. Giroud and Lacazette are very different players with very contrasting styles. Mesut is just saying that he thinks Lacazette's pacier style will suit his link up play better.

Hypotethical question here, but we lose Sanchez and Giroud, and get MBappe and Lemar along with Lacazette. Are people happy with that?

I'd be very happy with it. Although i midfielder would be nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Be happy with that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Quazzie wrote: »

I'd be happy with that, but there is no way we would get both Lemar and Mbappe. Sanchez staying though is the best that we can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Not to mind getting both Lemar and Mbappe, I doubt we'll be getting either of them. Getting Sanchez to sign, clearing out the likes of Debuchy and a few more and getting a replacement for Cazorla is a priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

greendom wrote: »
    We can't afford to get rid of home grown unless we replace them with home grown

There's a lot of HG players now though. Last Septembers squad had 9 in it, now wilshere & szcz are back too.
    then theres probably going be players not u21 anymore, not sure on the ages here but bellerin, iwobi, akpom, chambers & holding are all HG.

The foreign players had 16 in the same squad, sanogos gone & with the two in leaves that at the limit of 17

5 keepers in them lists now though

Obviously they'll be departures from both but shipping out Gibbs & wilshere isn't that mad, replacement HG players are there + it's really the foreign side you worry about

I can see the following going;
    Foreign: ospina, debuchy, Perez
    HG: Jenkinson, gibbs, 1 or 2 of macey, martinez, szcz

Personal terms agreed with Lemar apparently. Ball in Monaco's court. No messing about this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

New option get lacazette, lemar and mbappe, dont release Sanchez til next year and don't play him at all, send a message that Arsenal can't be ****ed with anymore..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Personal terms agreed with Lemar apparently. Ball in Monaco's court. No messing about this season

Where are you reading that? I can't see it anywhere from any of the reliable twitterati or web pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

farna_boy wrote: »
    New option get lacazette, lemar and mbappe, dont release Sanchez til next year and don't play him at all, send a message that Arsenal can't be ****ed with anymore..

Eh...no...😂

Nothing about lemar in my Twitter feed.

Pretty funny to watch Chelsea and United fight over Lukaku. Crazy times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

L'prof wrote: »
    farna_boy wrote: »

Eh...no...😂

If the rumors that he wants 400k are true **** him.. he is not the best striker in the league never mind Europe, for all his talk of passion if that's all he wants, let him **** off to China..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

emmetlego wrote: »
    Where are you reading that? I can't see it anywhere from any of the reliable twitterati or web pages.

It said on SSN that we upped our 30 million bid to 40 million today.

It said on SSN that we upped our 30 million bid to 40 million today.

Yeah, L'Equipe reported that, so probably a certain amount of truth to it, but a long way off agreeing personal terms!!! No smoke without fire though, so hopefully he is at least being sought after vigorously, as would appear.

Most definitely a different transfer window than usual. Added to the backroom addition of Jens, this is looking like a real change of attitude. Fingers crossed eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Were obviously not signing Mbappe, why would be sign another striker after just signing Lacazette!

Any other signing(s) will be a winger or midfielder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

2017: Lacazette 50m
    2016: Mustafi 30m. Xhaka 30m
    2015: Nothing
    2014: Sanchez 35m
    2013: Ozil 42m

Too soon to claim a major change in policy tbh. Nothing out of the ordinary thus far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

AdamD wrote: »
    2017: Lacazette 50m
    2016: Mustafi 30m. Xhaka 30m
    2015: Nothing
    2014: Sanchez 35m
    2013: Ozil 42m

Too soon to claim a major change in policy tbh. Nothing out of the ordinary thus far

???

The change started with Özil and not constantly selling their best players but if it suits everybody's narrative then yeah, sure, nothing has changed!

???

The change started with Özil and not constantly selling their best players but if it suits everybody's narrative then yeah, sure, nothing has changed!

I think the point is that we've been the same, or arguably worse even after changing philosophy since Ozil, whereas we need to step it up another gear if we want another title.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

It's Walcott, wilshere, Gibbs, we should be getting rid of. Not giroud. But as I'm sure others will point out the home grown quota would be fuc.ked in that case. Giroud is a good plan b option to have imo.

• Advertisement

Yeah, L'Equipe reported that, so probably a certain amount of truth to it, but a long way off agreeing personal terms!!! No smoke without fire though, so hopefully he is at least being sought after vigorously, as would appear.

Most definitely a different transfer window than usual. Added to the backroom addition of Jens, this is looking like a real change of attitude. Fingers crossed eh?
    The Sun is reporting it -ok not the most reputable but lets see whether it takes off. L'Equipe reporting that he is 'desperate' to join us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

This was prolly posted before as its old but I found it gas, need characters like Ox around the club....and Musty has a GSOH for a german!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

???

The change started with il and not constantly selling their best players but if it suits everybody's narrative then yeah, sure, nothing has changed!

I think you misunderstood my post or it wasn't clear. I was replying to the claims there has been a change this summer! It's too early to say that.

AdamD wrote: »
    ???

The change started with il and not constantly selling their best players but if it suits everybody's narrative then yeah, sure, nothing has changed!

I think you misunderstood my post or it wasn't clear. I was replying to the claims there has been a change this summer! It's too early to say that.
    Ok then, 2 new backroom coaches in, a new left side defender, an out and out striker of real quality, and our record purchase. Added to that, we're very possibly strongly in the market for an attacking right side MF. I'd say this is quite a step forward. Also, there is strong Mbappe madness rumours! Pinch of salt required!

Look, I'm not delusional, I know we'll most likely win f*** all under this regime, but it's a big statement of intent. Much bigger than previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Ok then, 2 new backroom coaches in, a new left side defender, an out and out striker of real quality, and our record purchase. Added to that, we're very possibly strongly in the market for an attacking right side MF. I'd say this is quite a step forward. Also, there is strong Mbappe madness rumours! Pinch of salt required!

Look, I'm not delusional, I know we'll most likely win f*** all under this regime, but it's a big statement of intent. Much bigger than previous years.

I think if some more of those things your calling out actually materialise then it will be, along with keeping Sanchez.

The out and out striker is a big signing but it's not a bigger statement of intent than the Sanchez and Ozil signings were at the time.

As I said though keeping Sanchez and signing the right sided MF and yep it's a big sign of intent but right now it's all if buts and maybes

£100m for Lukaku??? WTF??? What does that make Giroud worth? Shows the great value that Lacazette was too.

In fairness Lukaku is a much better striker then Giroud, he worth 100m? No, but then again the market dictates the prices not the players to a degree. Look at J Pickford @ 30m thats madness....

Does make Lacazette a bargain....but Lukaku at Utd will do very very well.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    In fairness Lukaku is a much better striker then Giroud, he worth 100m? No, but then again the market dictates the prices not the players to a degree. Look at J Pickford @ 30m thats madness....

Does make Lacazette a bargain....but Lukaku at Utd will do very very well.

He's probably a better striker as he has youth on his side. Much better? Like 88 million better? No way!

Utd really are getting taken to the cleaners in the transfer market since Fergusson retired.

He's probably a better striker as he has youth on his side. Much better? Like 88 million better? No way!

No "Probably" about it, he is a much better player then Giroud. He scord 25 times and has 6 assists in an average Everton side.

Even in the air and holding the ball up which are Giroud's strong points Lukaku is also very good.

Not downing Giroud at all, he is a good technical squad player and would lead the line for a lower team but he is not in the same class as Lukaku.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement