Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Jose looks to building a powerful team. I'd be happy with either Lacazette or Lukaku leading the line tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It's funny because Jose insisted on no buyback clause when he sold Lukaku to Everton because he never wanted to work with him again. Amazing what he gets away with really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

emmetlego wrote: »
    Utd really are getting taken to the cleaners in the transfer market since Fergusson retired.

773 million euro spent on transfers since Fergie retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's funny because Jose insisted on no buyback clause when he sold Lukaku to Everton because he never wanted to work with him again. Amazing what he gets away with really.

I'm just glad JM is nowhere near our club. To hear United supporters go on about him literally turns my stomach. A totally reprehensible human being. I'm trying to say what I think without cursing or breaking the rules here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Utd really are getting taken to the cleaners in the transfer market since Fergusson retired.

In what context is this this transfer taking Utd to the cleaners? What is an appropriate transfer fee? Have you considered the sharp increase in revenue that the big clubs like Man Utd have seen in recent years?

I posted this a few days ago. But I've a feeling it'll be getting a few copy and pastes...

75 million would be about 10.8% of Man Utd's most recent revenue total. Compare that with other forwards Utd bought from rival Premier League clubs. RVP cost about 7.5% of total revenue. Bertatov about 11.7%. Rooney about 14%. Or Van Nistelrooy who came from a different league was 12.9%.

So why do you consider Utd are being taken to the cleaners now? Fergie (and many other clubs) have spent a much greater % of revenue on a player than Utd are now on Lukaku.

In what context is this this transfer taking Utd to the cleaners? What is an appropriate transfer fee? Have you considered the sharp increase in revenue that the big clubs like Man Utd have seen in recent years?

I posted this a few days ago. But I've a feeling it'll be getting a few copy and pastes...

75 million would be about 10.8% of Man Utd's most recent revenue total. Compare that with other forwards Utd bought from rival Premier League clubs. RVP cost about 7.5% of total revenue. Bertatov about 11.7%. Rooney about 14%. Or Van Nistelrooy who came from a different league was 12.9%.

So why do you consider Utd are being taken to the cleaners now? Fergie (and many other clubs) have spent a much greater % of revenue on a player than Utd are now on Lukaku.

It's more based on what a player is worth, rather than their cost in relation to club revenue.

Transfermarkt values Lukaku at €50m, so they're paying about double that. Whether they can afford this because they have such high revenue is another discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Let's cut to the chase. Do you think he's worth 100m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Basil3 wrote: »

It's more based on what a player is worth, rather than their cost in relation to club revenue.

Transfermarkt values Lukaku at €50m, so they're paying about double that. Whether they can afford this because they have such high revenue is another discussion.

Transfermarkt lol

What does Wikipedia think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

if ibra played in the fdrench league versus farmers and scored what 50 odd goals and was a free transfer is lacazette worth the money scoring what 20 odd goals against the same teams?

• Advertisement

Transfermarkt lol

It was an example. What do you think?

I'm just glad JM is nowhere near our club. To hear United supporters go on about him literally turns my stomach. A totally reprehensible human being. I'm trying to say what I think without cursing or breaking the rules here.
    what you on about lewis? jose is being slated by you why exactly?

Great to see the new faces in the Arsenal forum. Welcome guys!

Great to see the new faces in the Arsenal forum. Welcome guys!
    that's the thing with public forums they are well public and people will browse and contribute.

lacazette is a decent player but is he really an upgrade on giroud? did I hear right that giroud was for sale?

that's the thing with public forums they are well public and people will browse and contribute.

lacazette is a decent player but is he really an upgrade on giroud? did I hear right that giroud was for sale?

I think he offers a lot that Giroud doesn't. I'd prefer to have both.

I think he offers a lot that Giroud doesn't. I'd prefer to have both.
    tbh they would compliment each others games. if giroud is sold iots a backwards step for you lads imo

• Advertisement

Let's cut to the chase. Do you think he's worth 100m?

Why not answer my questions before putting that to me?

Do I think he is worth £100m? First of all I dont know where 100 mil came from. Anything offical I have seen had the fee at 75. But anyways, for 100m I would've prefered to have seen Utd try to sign Kane last summer.

Could Utd have got a young, proven Premier League goal scorer for less? I dont think so. And considering the revenue that clubs are generating now, I think the fee for Lukaku is probably fairly accurate. Is he worth the price? Like any other transfer, we'll actaully have to wait until he plays to be able to access if he was worth it. But despite Lukaku not being my first choice to potentially lead the Utd front line for the next 5 or 10 years, I do believe he will prove to be worth the fee.

Now are you going to answer the questions that I put to you first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Transfermarkt lol

It was an example. What do you think?

I think £100m if true is ridiculous. I don't see him improving much. He's a big unit too so I'd be worried about longevity.

It just tickled me that you referenced transfermarkt. Valuations only exist in people's heads. In my head I'd say £60m - £70m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Who really cares what price a player is? I don't care if a player cost €2m, €50m or €100m. I just wanna be excited by my team winning games. If Lukaku does that for United or Lacazette for Arsenal then no matter the price it's money well spent.

Strangely I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how Lukaku does at United.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

You could easily say the same about Lukaku. Is he really an upgrade on Zlatan? For what it's worth I think Arsenal and Man Utd have overpaid for the two players, but that's the market at the moment so the two fees were as expected.

I'd love to know how much Raiola has pocketed from the deal though. So called super agents taking money out of the game.

"Why not answer my questions before putting that to me?"

Be a bit more specific, you pondered a few questions there...

• Advertisement

"Why not answer my questions before putting that to me?"

Be a bit more specific, you pondered a few questions there...

I'll take that as one question. Utd have paid what I consider, to be overly extortionate fees for ordinary enough players. DiMaria, Pogba and now Lukaku. If Fergie wanted players, he rarely, if ever paid over the odds. The fees for these and others would imply a certain level of player, i.e. 'World class' or whatever you want to call them, but I certainly wouldn't have them in that category.

Don't take it personal. It's just an observation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Lewis???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Because he's a....not very nice man.

Because he's a....not very nice man.
    you know him well enough to say that? couldn't I make the same statement about you seeing you spout about someone you do not know?

Yikes. Can't we all just agree that nobody likes Jose and go back to talking about Arsenal?

We can only judge him on what we see week in, week out. I don't like what I see. Good manager all the same

Speaking of united, I just saw a grown man wearing a united shirt with some new player with the name 'winners' screen printed on the back. Plays in number 17, apparently.

you know him well enough to say that? couldn't I make the same statement about you seeing you spout about someone you do not know?

I don't jab my finger in unsuspecting peoples eyes, I consider that a good start.

Speaking of united, I just saw a grown man wearing a united shirt with some new player with the name 'winners' screen printed on the back. Plays in number 17, apparently.

All that proves is that there is at least 1 idiot who supports Man Utd. But, shockingly, every football club has idiots who support them. What about this Arsenal fan who got 'Mahrez' on his jersey last season

arsenal-fan-mahrez.png

• Advertisement

I've expressed my opinions about Jose before here and I got 2 separate bans for it. Enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I've expressed my opinions about Jose before here and I got 2 separate bans for it. Enough said.

The very same.

I think if you say what you think as long as it doesn't become slanderous it's ok. I've called him a reprehensible individual and the worst thing in the modern game and that seems to be fine. It's grand as long as you don't say c**t, w*nker etc.

I got a yellow for "ladying" up his name a bit!

Needless to say, I find him a very unsavoury character and I wouldn't invite him around for dinner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

there a was a similar argument on twitter, sporting intelligence retweeted values from the football observatory, then using the same valuations said Pickford was worth £5m & prices are ridiculous.
    he was defending the CIES valuations to people questioning where is coutinho, etc.

the best reply to it all was this "Reality is that the numbers provided are just a load of nonsense. A player is worth what somebody is willing to pay. It's that simple."
    that guys 100% right, all this worth, overpaid, value is just bollocks between fans looking to get stupid some 1 up on the other

https://twitter.com/CIES_Football/status/874183996955127808

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

L'prof wrote: »
    We can only judge him on what we see week in, week out. I don't like what I see. Good manager all the same

Personally I don't think his anti-football style of play allows him to be called a good manager. Effective maybe, but so is Tony Pulis, and I don't see him getting many plaudits drooling over him.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Personally I don't think his anti-football style of play allows him to be called a good manager. Effective maybe, but so is Tony Pulis, and I don't see him getting many plaudits drooling over him.

This is getting silly now. For what he achieved at Porto alone, he's a good manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

It's a shame trophy after trophy after trophy doesn't allow you to be called a good manager anymore.

Porto

Primeira Liga: 2002–03, 2003–04
    Taça de Portugal: 2002–03
    Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: 2003
    UEFA Champions League: 2003–04
    UEFA Cup: 2002–03

Chelsea

Premier League: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2014–15
    FA Cup: 2006–07
    Football League Cup: 2004–05, 2006–07, 2014–15
    FA Community Shield: 2005

Internazionale

Serie A: 2008–09, 2009–10
    Coppa Italia: 2009–10
    Supercoppa Italiana: 2008
    UEFA Champions League: 2009–10

Real Madrid

La Liga: 2011–12
    Copa del Rey: 2010–11
    Supercopa de España: 2012

Manchester United

EFL Cup: 2016–17
    FA Community Shield: 2016
    UEFA Europa League: 2016–17

This is getting silly now. For what he achieved at Porto alone, he's a good manager

That was 13 years ago, and Porto had a pretty easy run to the final with Monaco knocking out all the big teams on the other side of the tie. Good alright, but hardly exceptional.

I don't think anyone classes Otto Rehhagel as being a great manager and he achieved something much harder the same year.

Woohoo! Community shield is a trophy again.

I see Perez isn't on the preseason tour, but haven't heard anything about where he might be heading, if at all. Anyone know anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Could we get back to discussing Arsenal lads?

Any more word on transfer targets today?

Could we get back to discussing Arsenal lads?

Any more word on transfer targets today?

Absolutely! Delighted to talk about our great club!!! :-)

Pablo on twitter says that Lemar is the No 1 target and will be aiming to bring him in, however, there is an agreement in place for Mahrez should Lemar fall through. Apparently Wenger adores Lemar and has huge hopes for him. Also said that we are def in for Mbappe and we are planning for the season ahead with both Alexis and Ozil.

Pablo is apparently a shareholder and seems on the money about upcoming Arsenal news. Predicted Laccazette a week ahead of everyone else and said our game 1 V Leicester would be on a Friday night about 2 weeks ahead of everyone else. Always has good insider info on the club.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Rudiger is the type of player we should be trying to sign.

Hyzepher wrote: »

He's not really that good. Better players out there should we need a CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Hyzepher wrote: »

Be interesting to see who has the better season. Rudiger or Kolasinac

greendom wrote: »
    Be interesting to see who has the better season. Rudiger or Kolasinac

I'd imagine Rudiger but that's possibly because I predict he'll settle in quicker.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine Rudiger but that's possibly because I predict he'll settle in quicker.

I'd predict the same but mainly because Arsenal are chasing 18 points and 11 goals conceded from last season

I'd predict the same but mainly because Arsenal are chasing 18 points and 11 goals conceded from last season

And also, because Arsenal.

Just looking at the travelling squad for the pre-season tour there, I don't know if much can be drawn from the players travelling?

https://www.arsenal.com/news/travelling-squad-tour-announced

Perez not going makes sense, if he's out the door. I guess players involved in the confederations cup would be rested as well. Gibbs also hasn't travelled.

Other than that, I guess it's interesting that some players that might be leaving have travelled, such as Giroud and the Ox.

I'm disappointed that Szczesny hasn't travelled and Ospina has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just looking at the travelling squad for the pre-season tour there, I don't know if much can be drawn from the players travelling?

https://www.arsenal.com/news/travelling-squad-tour-announced

Perez not going makes sense, if he's out the door. I guess players involved in the confederations cup would be rested as well. Gibbs also hasn't travelled.

Other than that, I guess it's interesting that some players that might be leaving have travelled, such as Giroud and the Ox.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement